Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I'd never heard of Jo Nesbo but just had a look at the reviews of his books. Now I have to go to the bookshop this morning and pick up a couple to take on holiday with me. Thanks for the recommendation
Yay!!! I hope you love his stuff as much as I do.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Anne Cleeves, Elly Griffiths, Caroline Graham-----don't watch the TV versions!!
I am re-reading some Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh.
Elly Griffiths is new to me --- I'll give her a whirl.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Since I persist with this activity (considered downright suspicious these days in Britain), I thought it might be good to have a quiet Expat thread to swap titles. Mine are -
The Planning of Roman Road and Walls by John Poulter - Very interesting, especially the techniques used for those straight roads
Hadrian: Empire and conflict by Thorsten Opper - Ah, so that's the derivation of Plot.

Shush!.... No talking or loud noises in the Book corner.....
hi all . i,ve nearly finished emmeline pankhurst we all know what the suffrage's did.the but by reading the book i learnt what the police and government of the day did. good read, the book i would like to recommend is brian blessed (absolute pandemonium) a really good read
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Robert Mason's, Chickenhawk.
The descent of a human being into the insanity that was the Vietnam War. You can smell the humidity, dirt, and fear from its pages.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Robert Mason's, Chickenhawk.
The descent of a human being into the insanity that was the Vietnam War. You can smell the humidity, dirt, and fear from its pages.
I have read Chickenhawk twice once many years ago and again last year.Since then i have red may books on Vietnam a fascinating subject i am glad to only read about it and not have taken part.I am currently reading(Rise and kill first) by Ronen Bergman) it is about Israels targeted assassinations and their on going fight with the PLO and the like quite an eye opener.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:07 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Michael Caine.

It is interesting enough as it tells of his determination to succeed as an actor and his methods to ensure he did and does. He really is someone with grit and focus.

What I'm kind of getting over is all the name dropping. I realise he has spent his life in these circles but that bit is a little tedious now.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
It is interesting enough as it tells of his determination to succeed as an actor and his methods to ensure he did and does. He really is someone with grit and focus.
What I'm kind of getting over is all the name dropping. I realise he has spent his life in these circles but that bit is a little tedious now.
It's the same in his 'What's it all about' book. But then, afterwards, it made me realise that for performers it's as required for their lifestyle as breathing is for we grunts; - he's not so much showing off, as 'keeping his Brand'.
I've only encountered these types once but I came away with the definite impression that their work & lifestyles firstly conditions them into deep insecurity (at whatever level they reach), and secondly forms a fiercely protective shell or Brand - the image that they live within. It must be a peculiar mental balancing act.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 1:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same in his 'What's it all about' book. But then, afterwards, it made me realise that for performers it's as required for their lifestyle as breathing is for we grunts...
Similar with Avril Lavigne.
Originally hitched up with Sum 41's Deryck Whibley and then Nickelback's Chad Kroeger. Not just in the same biz and lead vocal but all Canadian too.

In between she did have a fling with an actor/dj but he was American so they didn't marry.

Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Brilliant Women by Cathy Newman

it catalogues the many, many MANY women through the ages who have done amazing things, been responsible for some of the major achievements in our human history,Created vitally important changes, Refused to just shut up and breed YET remain largely unknown, unsung, forgotten by history. Why? because history is largely written by men.
I can hear the sighs of 'Oh god another feminist rant' but its not so... many were vehemently anti feminist in fact.Just very clever people ..who happened to be women..
.I'm still shocked by the last book I read where the female doctor author informed me that in 2019 virtually nothing was known about how women's bodies work. We are treated as if we were men. despite the medical world knowing for years that we have a different biological makeup... right down to our basic cells...Its like saying 'lets give this Lioness birdseed, and see how she gets on' Duhhhhhh
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:15 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post

it catalogues the many, many MANY women through the ages who have done amazing things, been responsible for some of the major achievements in our human history,Created vitally important changes, Refused to just shut up and breed YET remain largely unknown, unsung, forgotten by history. Why? because history is largely written by men.
Sorry, GeniB, you are wrong, the sad fact is that modern feminists often disregard & discount the amazing achievements of women through history.

Last edited by Expatrick; Oct 14th 2019 at 5:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Sorry, GeniB, you are wrong, the sad fact is that modern feminists often disregard & discount the amazing achievements of women through history.
Explain your comment Expatrick.. which 'feminists' are those who have ' disregarded or discounted' other women achievements .
Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:59 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Explain your comment Expatrick.. which 'feminists' are those who have ' disregarded or discounted' other women achievements .
Take aviation as an example. As soon as aircraft were off the ground hundreds of remarkable women took to the skies, performing amazing feats of skil & endurance in difficult conditions with primitive machines. Today we have "emulators" whose "mission" is to inspire, doing the same - only its not, due to modern equipment, chase planes, etc, etc, often giving the impression that they are doing something remarkable.

In this vein, and bringing us back to topic, you may care to read Beryl Markham's "West with the night" which includes the story of her solo transatlantic flight.

For me, right now, have just finished "The cut out girl" by Bart Van Es - recommended.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Take aviation as an example. As soon as aircraft were off the ground hundreds of remarkable women took to the skies, performing amazing feats of skil & endurance in difficult conditions with primitive machines. Today we have "emulators" whose "mission" is to inspire, doing the same - only its not, due to modern equipment, chase planes, etc, etc, often giving the impression that they are doing something remarkable.

In this vein, and bringing us back to topic, you may care to read Beryl Markham's "West with the night" which includes the story of her solo transatlantic flight.

For me, right now, have just finished "The cut out girl" by Bart Van Es - recommended.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

I can hear the sighs of 'Oh god another feminist rant' but its not so... many were vehemently anti feminist in fact.Just very clever people ..who happened to be women..
.I'm still shocked by the last book I read where the female doctor author informed me that in 2019 virtually nothing was known about how women's bodies work. We are treated as if we were men. despite the medical world knowing for years that we have a different biological makeup... right down to our basic cells...Its like saying 'lets give this Lioness birdseed, and see how she gets on' Duhhhhhh
.... Not a single reference to brave and defiant women such as Emily Hobhouse or Elise Hampel.... I wonder if she had it ghost-written for her Geni....
Old Oct 16th 2019, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

I started to read that but gave up halfway through for exactly the same reason, the name dropping.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.