Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Bend It Like Beckham

Bend It Like Beckham

Old May 8th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else like looking for mistakes in films? Anyway, things like continuity errors:

The glass is full, next scene it's half empty and then (change of camera angle) it's full again. Or the actor's hair is neat then wind-blown then neat again all in a few seconds of shots.

Then there's the always interesting anachronisms:

Roman soldiers in sneakers (Ben Hur); Roman Soldiers with wrist watches (Spartacus) and tons more. There are whole websites devoted to this subject.

Titanic was full of mistakes (no, not the ship - that dreadful movie).

In "Bend It Like Beckham," there's a scene where the star is talking to her sister in the family's living room. They seem to be facing each other as they talk, but they are actually off-set so that they are, in fact, looking over each other's shoulder. I think this is so that they could look at a tele-prompter because there was a lot of dialogue in that scene - maybe too much for them to memorise. That's my theory anyway.

Gotta get out more.

Last edited by TimEh?; May 17th 2003 at 1:33 am.
Old May 8th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Keelie
One of my all-time favourites..."Secrets and Lies" Brenda Blethyn was magic in this movie, I knew a character just like that.
That was a good one. You should see Brenda Blethyn as the over-bearing mother in "Little Voice." Talk about an over-the-top performance.

I would also recommend her in the film "Saving Grace."

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/...86623,00.html?

How about some of Julie Walter's films?

Educating Rita - 1983

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/...15330,00.html?

Intimate Relations - 1996 (a murder story based on fact - recommended):

"In 1954, all of England was rocked by a shocking crime that took place in a quiet coastal town and involved a socially upstanding landlady, her smart, newly blossomed teenage daughter, and a handsome but troubled Australian in search of family he had never known..."

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/...36267,00.html?

The Summer House - 1993:

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/...31136,00.html?
Old May 9th 2003, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Englishmum
Ha Ha! I recently went to the cinema with my girlfriend from Sydney and her mother who was visiting, to see their fellow Aussie, Nicole Kidman in "The Hours".

What an awful film. We all hated it, and indeed I felt like slashing my wrists....the film just droned on and on and on....
Oh my God!!!! When I read your post I laughed out loud! My friend and I went to see the Hours and felt the same way you did. It was depressing, wasn't it? Okay, I'm not a prude...but did all the chicks have to kiss other chicks?

I understood that Meryl Streeps character was gay, and that the 1950's housewife was gay (and confused and depressed?) But that smooch that Nicole gave her sister, really freaked me out. It seemed like the "kiss of death". Anyway...an interesting movie, but it really did bring me down afterward.

Anyone see the Pianist?
Old May 9th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: British movies

Originally posted by flatty38
Cant wait to see Bend it like Beckham - its only playing here in Toronto in the downtown "arty" cinemas!

Agree with East is East - brilliant!

Another brit movie I recommend is "Room to Rent". And theres also another one about a scottish football team that has Michael Keaton in it believe it or not - cant remember the title now - but I loved it!

Also agree with you Tim over the convicts/horticultural thing - very poor and I had high hopes for that!
Read your comments re "Room to Rent" and went looking for it. When I looked at the box, I remembered the movie (with the help of the pictures on the back of the box). I had seen it a while ago. Forgotten the tiltle but remembered the movie well. A good one and well worth renting.

Last edited by TimEh?; May 9th 2003 at 7:17 pm.
Old May 9th 2003, 3:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
I discovered this website yesterday. It has mini film clips of all the latest and upcoming films; you need Quicktime on your computer to play most of them, and on my computer I couldn't play some of them (including Terminator 3 as you need Quicktime Pro and I'm not willing to pay $30 for it!).

Worth a look:

http://www.apple.com/trailers

PS. the Fox Searchlight film "28 Days" seems interesting and topical; about a massive infection which seems to be wiping out the population - it may be based in London and I spotted an overturned London Routemaster bus!
Old May 9th 2003, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Englishmum
I discovered this website yesterday. It has mini film clips of all the latest and upcoming films; you need Quicktime on your computer to play most of them, and on my computer I couldn't play some of them (including Terminator 3 as you need Quicktime Pro and I'm not willing to pay $30 for it!).

Worth a look:

http://www.apple.com/trailers

PS. the Fox Searchlight film "28 Days" seems interesting and topical; about a massive infection which seems to be wiping out the population - it may be based in London and I spotted an overturned London Routemaster bus!

I think its called '28 days later'.....apparently it s a horror/sci-fi type movie (it was released in the UK last year). Its a Danny Boyle (trainspotting) movie, and Alex Garland has credits on it too. Looking forward to it being released, as I've heard its pretty good, if maybe a bit gory for general taste...
btw ...definetely filmed in London
Old May 9th 2003, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Somebody mentioned a film about "Little Face" - dont know if they were joking or not but its actually "LIttle Voice" with Michael Caine - very good - funny and sad

Bend it like Beckham was fun to watch as was East is East - havent seen Jonny English yet
Old May 9th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by rizalan
Somebody mentioned a film about "Little Face" - dont know if they were joking or not but its actually "LIttle Voice" with Michael Caine - very good - funny and sad
That was me. Groan! Got Michael Caine's name wrong as well. Double groan.

Little Face was a character in Dick Tracy - the only Madonna movie I would stoop to recommend.
Old May 10th 2003, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

cazsue is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely loved Bend it Like Beckham..... and there is currently a new british/asian film just starting to do the rounds in Oz.... called Anita and Me..... the trailers look good so I hope to see that soon. It has the bloke who plays Sanjeev of the Kumars.

As for Johnny English.... it was pretty good probably 7/10 although if you see any trailers they show you most of the funniest parts and then there isn't much left to see in the film. I really like Rowan Atkinson and loved the series Mr Bean... the film of the same name was absolute rubbish.

One of my fave recent british films was one with Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins and a couple of other famous actors whose name escapes me..... it was about three friends getting together to scatter their friend's ashes (the deceased friend being Michael Caine)..... if anyone remembers the name of this film please let me know as it's been bugging me for ages.

Caz
Old May 10th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cazsue

One of my fave recent british films was one with Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins and a couple of other famous actors whose name escapes me..... it was about three friends getting together to scatter their friend's ashes (the deceased friend being Michael Caine)..... if anyone remembers the name of this film please let me know as it's been bugging me for ages.

Caz

I think it was "Last Orders"
Old May 10th 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely loved Bend it Like Beckham..... and there is currently a new british/asian film just starting to do the rounds in Oz.... called Anita and Me..... the trailers look good so I hope to see that soon. It has the bloke who plays Sanjeev of the Kumars.

As for Johnny English.... it was pretty good probably 7/10 although if you see any trailers they show you most of the funniest parts and then there isn't much left to see in the film. I really like Rowan Atkinson and loved the series Mr Bean... the film of the same name was absolute rubbish.

Caz
I liked 'Iris' as well...mainly because it has both Judi Dench and Kate Winslet in it, who are excellent. It was out last year I think, maybe two years now, and is certainly out on video...
ps ....yes it was 'last orders'
Old May 10th 2003, 5:29 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Caz

We saw Anita and Me back in the UK at Christmas. It's a little deeper/wierder than BILB and nothing like as funny, but still good.
Old May 11th 2003, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by joebloggs
I liked 'Iris' as well...mainly because it has both Judi Dench and Kate Winslet in it, who are excellent. It was out last year I think, maybe two years now, and is certainly out on video...
ps ....yes it was 'last orders'
I thought 'Iris' very good as well. Not a barrel of laughs mind you. Judy Dench plays the writer Iris Murdoch who suffered with Alzheimer’s in later life. There is also a great performance by Jim Broadbent (Gangs of New York, Moulin Rouge, Topsy Turvy) an actor who seems to be getting better with age.
Old May 11th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?

I would also recommend her in the film "Saving Grace."

[/url]
I thought it was a hoot especially the two little old ladies in the shop having some "Strange Brew"!

Does anyone remember "The Wrong Box"? I think it was the first movie for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Michael Caine was in it too and a cameo by Tony Hancock.
Old May 11th 2003, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by flashman
I thought it was a hoot especially the two little old ladies in the shop having some "Strange Brew"!

Does anyone remember "The Wrong Box"? I think it was the first movie for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Michael Caine was in it too and a cameo by Tony Hancock.
Yes. Caught it again not too long ago on the Tele. There was also a cameo appearance in it by John Mills which was hillarious.

Three more to look for:

"Peter's Friends" starring Kenneth Branagh, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Rita Rudner and Emma Thompson. It's about six university friends having a New Year's Eve Reunion after many years apart.

"The Land Girls" Group of women (also known as the Land Army) who go to help out on the farms during WWII.

"Cold Comfort Farm" is the other one. Can't remember the plot but worth renting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.