Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

9/11 rememberance

9/11 rememberance

Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:20 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default 9/11 rememberance

I hate this stuff, it always gets hi-jacked (in my view) for aren't we great and everyone else crap, and our army will kick your ass.

I am happy to hold a minutes silence, but I am expecting this thing to turn in to a "USA, USA" chant-fest.

Tomorrow at the soccer, they are handing out flags, and we are all expected to wave them from minute 9 till minute 11.

Soldiers will be an honor guard as the players take the field and a super-giant American flag will be used for the national anthem.

I might take a union jack and wave that, as Scouse Express pointed out lots (66 or 67) died that day too, and I can show my International solidarity with the remembrance.

At work I have just received an email with pdf, titled "Understanding your reactions to 9/11" warning me about "anniversary reaction" WTF
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9/11 rememberance

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I hate this stuff, it always gets hi-jacked (in my view) for aren't we great and everyone else crap, and our army will kick your ass.

I am happy to hold a minutes silence, but I am expecting this thing to turn in to a "USA, USA" chant-fest.

Tomorrow at the soccer, they are handing out flags, and we are all expected to wave them from minute 9 till minute 11.

Soldiers will be an honor guard as the players take the field and a super-giant American flag will be used for the national anthem.

I might take a union jack and wave that, as Scouse Express pointed out lots (66 or 67) died that day too, and I can show my International solidarity with the remembrance.

At work I have just received an email with pdf, titled "Understanding your reactions to 9/11" warning me about "anniversary reaction" WTF
What prompted me to make that post was the fact that someone (I forget who or where) was going to be putting 2,997 US Flags up to remember the Victims. NPR did a piece on it.
They were obviously totally oblivious of the Foreign Nationals who also perished on that awful day - No offence meant to our US Friends by the way.

Jim.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:41 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Why??? As American as I am this would never enter my mind or be expected. We have a moment of silence every year at school (and then Taps is played), the JROTC do a flag thing, and it's over.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:44 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 View Post
Why??? As American as I am this would never enter my mind or be expected. We have a moment of silence every year at school (and then Taps is played), the JROTC do a flag thing, and it's over.
I might listen to too much talk radio.
I have been on some soccer forums and other people have been voicing similar worries, which might just go to show that it will not come to pass.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be too hard on the blind patriots. They probably have unresolved father/abandonment issues - but that's a topic for another thread.

To be perfectly honest, I've been dreading this weekend. They've been building it up for weeks on the morning/talk/news shows. It's even been creeping in here, on BE, in some of the other fora. Everybody is selling it.

Those of you who lived here when 9-11 happened may be able to relate somewhat. For many of us, it was extremely painful. Personally, I went through a pretty severe situational depression. It was extreme for the first few weeks and then lingered for several more months. I cried a lot and didn't function very well. I didn't really want to do anything except watch the news coverage and wallow in the misery. Looking back, I think it was triggered by watching the people jumping out of the Twin Towers in real time and then watching all of the images over and over again on TV. It was an awful experience.

When it was happening the news coverage was completely unscripted and "real". The people bringing us the news were also experiencing the events and you got the feeling that, at least for that first day, we were all the same. There was no need to sensationalize or sex the story up. It was what it was and nobody needed to make it any more than that. Reporters, politicians, and people on the street, all only cared about the safety, suffering and pain, their own as well as that of others. It was very human. At least for the first day.

However, pretty early on, the switch got flipped and 9-11 became a brand. The media and the government started figuring out ways to use all of those feelings of empathy, pain, and humanity against us. 9-11 is big business these days and I don't want any part of it. Like any loss, it still hurts, but it doesn't hurt as much as it did 10 years ago. Furthermore, it shouldn't hurt that much anymore.

For those of you that were more directly impacted, my heart goes out to you. I hope you find a way to observe the day, in a way that honors your loss, with dignity.

I'm not watching anything this weekend except movies and stuff I've recorded. I don't even want to see the commercials. They won't be happy until they reopen every single wound in America and we're all as miserable as we were the day that it happened. It's not healthy.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Don't be too hard on the blind patriots. They probably have unresolved father/abandonment issues - but that's a topic for another thread.

To be perfectly honest, I've been dreading this weekend. They've been building it up for weeks on the morning/talk/news shows. It's even been creeping in here, on BE, in some of the other fora. Everybody is selling it.

Those of you who lived here when 9-11 happened may be able to relate somewhat. For many of us, it was extremely painful. Personally, I went through a pretty severe situational depression. It was extreme for the first few weeks and then lingered for several more months. I cried a lot and didn't function very well. I didn't really want to do anything except watch the news coverage and wallow in the misery. Looking back, I think it was triggered by watching the people jumping out of the Twin Towers in real time and then watching all of the images over and over again on TV. It was an awful experience.

When it was happening the news coverage was completely unscripted and "real". The people bringing us the news were also experiencing the events and you got the feeling that, at least for that first day, we were all the same. There was no need to sensationalize or sex the story up. It was what it was and nobody needed to make it any more than that. Reporters, politicians, and people on the street, all only cared about the safety, suffering and pain, their own as well as that of others. It was very human. At least for the first day.

However, pretty early on, the switch got flipped and 9-11 became a brand. The media and the government started figuring out ways to use all of those feelings of empathy, pain, and humanity against us. 9-11 is big business these days and I don't want any part of it. Like any loss, it still hurts, but it doesn't hurt as much as it did 10 years ago. Furthermore, it shouldn't hurt that much anymore.

For those of you that were more directly impacted, my heart goes out to you. I hope you find a way to observe the day, in a way that honors your loss, with dignity.

I'm not watching anything this weekend except movies and stuff I've recorded. I don't even want to see the commercials. They won't be happy until they reopen every single wound in America and we're all as miserable as we were the day that it happened. It's not healthy.
I'd karma you, Leslie, but apparently I have to spread it around a bit...

Anyway, a very good post....

I wasn't living in the States when it occurred, but the horror of watching it, thousands of miles away in another country was pretty profound.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 9/11 rememberance

I went to a show at the Radio City Music Hall last night and as I walked towards Times Square afterwards my friends and I went past a Brooks Brothers shop. They had a big poster in the window about 9-11 but it seemed to be rather crass to me.

Cops and the National Guard absolutely everywhere in NYC at the moment - but TBH isn't the element of an unexpected attack one of the motives for committing terrorist atrocities?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It seems, well around where I am at least, that unless it is an organised minutes silence, people won't actually do one, and it's never silent anyway, which is a shame.

Where the missus works, they gave everyone a scabby looking, plastic pin, which is a bit embarrassing tbh, but that's as far as they are going.

It is slightly odd how other nations often seem to be forgotten about and how this has ended up being a USA army support thing and I heard someone say recently that we shouldn't be forgetting about all the folks at home, the teachers, fire fighters, cops, whatever who might have been affected by this event but because they aren't in the army get forgotten about. I was impressed by the sentiments but it seems many others weren't as they saw it as a snub to the military.

I don't see how that was the case though...either way, it was a tragic event, it affected many people, some directly and others indirectly. :/
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
I'd karma you, Leslie, but apparently I have to spread it around a bit...

Anyway, a very good post....

I wasn't living in the States when it occurred, but the horror of watching it, thousands of miles away in another country was pretty profound.
Thanks

I know that people all over the world, of every nationality, were devastated by what happened. The reason I mentioned "those of you who lived here" was really in relation to how the media and leadership turned it into a manipulation tool here in the states. I didn't mean to imply that one had to be American or live on American soil to "understand" the pain of 9-11. I hope it didn't come across that way because that was not at all my intention.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I know that people all over the world, of every nationality, were devastated by what happened. The reason I mentioned "those of you who lived here" was really in relation to how the media and leadership turned it into a manipulation tool here in the states. I didn't mean to imply that one had to be American or live on American soil to "understand" the pain of 9-11. I hope it didn't come across that way because that was not at all my intention.
I didn't take it that way....
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Responsible Cable News Outlets To Devote Sensible Amount Of Airtime To 10th Anniversary Of 9/11

If only ...
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:37 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

My Jewish landlord here in NYC talks about this a lot. He says (in his opinion) that Jews do the same with the Holocaust, revisit it constantly so the pain of it never heals. I don't know much about that but here in NYC while I am in a somber mood about what happened here 10 years ago, I'm also massively pissed at the media for raking this shit up every year, obviously this year more than others. God forbid they let the city move on. "Lest we forget" is one thing, but not ever letting it drop is another.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Same here - I was very depressed after 9/11. This went on for several months. Part of it was depression and part worry. My youngest daughter was living in Washington DC at the time, so I was very worried about her and the possibility of another terrorist attack. I am a "weepy" sort at the best of times, but I remember watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade that November and the NYPD and NYFD were marching in the parade and it brought me to tears. Regarding the memorial services today - I think it is important to remember, but this year may be a little "over the top". I hope that after today and the memorial to the victims is dedicated and opened, the city of NY and the country may be able to move on. I hope so.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The moment of silence they held in the Ireland v USA rugby match was rather touching and I know it's been said before, but those silences usually aren't that silent in the US, but this time around, you really could hear a pin drop.

Just nice that and then to follow it up with a proper choir to sing the national anthems of both nations.

Much nicer tribute than having some wobbling no singer celebrity butcher the thing that often happens here.

Apart from that, been avoiding the whole memorial thing. I can see more of a faff being made as it is 10 years, but time to move on, do the moment of silence as remembrance and get on with your day, or you're letting those who committed the act to win by getting into your heads.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't object to being reminded, briefly and tastefully, of the event but constantly showing endless streams of the photos and videos is like pouring salt in the wound. It was a horribly traumatic experience and reliving the trauma in full detail is not always the best medicine. Remembrance is good, obsession is not so good. We remember Pearl harbor, vaguely these days, but do not obsess. As decades pass, this too will pass. I was glued to the tv for hours every day when it happened, slept little because of it and cried my share. I do not want to be constantly reminded of the horror. The victims, yes, the horror no.
There are a lot of first responders, police, firefighters and others who are suffering and dying from cancer because of the dust they inhaled during months of rescue efforts at ground zero. Dust that contained hundreds of harmful chemicals and materials from asbestos to cement dust, gold, aluminum, fibres, metals, concrete, noxious chemicals and gases.

I think this says volumes. "After 10 years, the U.S. government announced earlier this year that it will offer $4 billion to cover medical costs and lost income among first responders. However, cancer patients are left out of the deal because officials argue that current research has not confirmed a link between work at Ground Zero and the risk of developing the disease."

"First responder John Devlin, who has stage 4 throat cancer, said he takes offense at the government's position on patients like him.

"There's too many responders like me that went down there for the love of our country that are dying right now, and our own country is turning their backs on us," "

As a nation we obsess over those who tragically lost their lives that day, and it takes ten years to do anything for those who devoted themselves to the rescue effort, often voluntarily. And even then we have ignored those dying a slow death because of their rescue work. It's time to remember them with action, and those who died that day with respectful silence.

I also have some concern for the children of those who died and who are constantly reminded of the horror of it. I cannot imagine that is psychologically helpful.

It should also be remembered that more than 90 countries lost citizens on that day. It was our tragedy but shared by 372 foreign citizens and their families.

Last edited by dakota44; Sep 11th 2011 at 4:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.