Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Is 41 too old to make a move abroad ?

Is 41 too old to make a move abroad ?

Old May 30th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is 41 too old to make a move abroad ?

HI All,
I'm a single guy, no kids, live in a beautiful part of the UK but I hate the winters and there are few employment opportunities.
Virtually all my friends are married with children and I feel like this place is just not happening for me, have been made redundant so also looking for employment.
Thinking of newer pastures. Has anyone else made a move aborad at this age and how did it work out ?
Old May 30th 2016, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 41 too old to make a move abroad ?

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar View Post
HI All,
I'm a single guy, no kids, live in a beautiful part of the UK but I hate the winters and there are few employment opportunities.
Virtually all my friends are married with children and I feel like this place is just not happening for me, have been made redundant so also looking for employment.
Thinking of newer pastures. Has anyone else made a move abroad at this age and how did it work out ?
In my long observation, there is no relevance to the age one moves. Your main problem, as a first-time expat, might be finding a job. Employers are wary of people who are vulnerable to culture shock. However, the absence of a "trailing spouse" would be an advantage. You haven't said what line of work you are/were in.
Old May 30th 2016, 11:55 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

41 is not too old in terms of age. Many people emigrate in their forties.

However much will depend on what your occupation and quals are.
Old May 31st 2016, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I believe as you approach 50 it gets harder to get a speculative work visa (i.e. you don't already have a specific job lined up), for some countries, but there is nothing in most cases to stop you getting a job or transfer just because you have reached 50. That said, you should consider your pension situation and planning, because if you aren't careful you can end up falling between the cracks and not getting much of a UK pension and little if anything from your new home country's pension arrangements.
Old May 31st 2016, 4:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Australia for 3 years now - only barrier to work was licensing restrictions and not age but fully licensed for almost 2 years now and working fulltime for more than that.

For Australia, you do need an occupation on their skills lists, and to reach the points total. Was older than you getting visa and making move - being in your 40's in not an issue although it does get harder to reach the points total required for a skilled visa
Old May 31st 2016, 8:41 am
Just Joined

rjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to beholdrjmorg is a splendid one to behold

I think it's all about attitude! No matter what your age as long as you are upbeat and have a go-getter attitude to making it work you should be fine.
Some places are easier to find a job than others. My uncle doesn't really have a fixed abode and just lives to ski. He just finished up in Chamonix where he was cleaning lodges and helping take sheep from one side of the valley to the other all spring. Not exactly something they teach you at art school as he is trained as an artist / art teacher but good enough pay to get by.
I would think touristy areas would always have some sort of work you can turn your hand to easily.
Old May 31st 2016, 2:44 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjmorg View Post
I think it's all about attitude! No matter what your age as long as you are upbeat and have a go-getter attitude to making it work you should be fine.
Some places are easier to find a job than others. ...
Seconded. Although I'd done several stints abroad before, I started off again in my late 40's after working in UK for 10 years.

In line with the attitude bit, you need to ask yourself serious questions about whether it'd suit you Some people love it, some people put up with it, some people can't hack it. Having said that, you never really know till you try. And some places are great, some average, some down-right awful: much depends on what you do (and how you view life).

What do you do, and which locations are you contemplating?
Old May 31st 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been doing any thinking or planning since you asked virtually the same question two years ago?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/welco...-leave-824533/
Old May 31st 2016, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyone's input, the positive ones at least. I may have asked the same thing two years ago, I haven't had a good few years ! was in a job I really disliked, was made redundant recently. I have lived abroad for a year on two occasions, when I was 25 I lived in Oz for a year and then when I was 30 I lived in NZ for a year, I guess I felt like I was missing out back home a little ( homesick )as I was part of a small community and a large group of friends, roll on ten years and I hardly see people now, everyone is settled down doing family stuff.
I have been applying for jobs over the years but never had the break and kind of became pigeon holed in a specific role in school ( I'm a teacher ) which probably has not helped my applications.
So I guess I'm looking for some inspiration of sorts
Old Jun 1st 2016, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you think people will be doing family stuff in other countries? I'd suggest it's even more family based in the US at least.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

No suggestion of that, it's just that I'm in a rural community with few employment opportunities and a limited social scene, I need somewhere more dynamic.
I'm just posting to see if anyone on the forum has been in a similar situation, taken a leap of faith and made a big change and how it worked out for them !
Old Jun 1st 2016, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post

In line with the attitude bit, you need to ask yourself serious questions about whether it'd suit you Some people love it, some people put up with it, some people can't hack it. Having said that, you never really know till you try. And some places are great, some average, some down-right awful: much depends on what you do (and how you view life).
Aye and to add to this, the reasons for going abroad, if they're because you're hoping to escape the UK for whatever reason, weather, doom and gloom, healthcare etc, then a move abroad usually ends up not working out all that well as you end up finding it's the same shit in a different bucket, but if you went to that country for the adventure, the new opportunities whether it's a different job or ability to pursue new/regular hobbies that you couldn't do before, then you'll usually have a better time of things.

It's the same old cycle that comes up on BE fairly regularly.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I understand that. I'm well traveled, has visited over fifty countries. I love adventure, I'm merely inquiring as to whether other people have gone abroad solo at my age to make a new start and how it worked out for them.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I understand that. I'm well traveled, has visited over fifty countries. I love adventure, I'm merely inquiring as to whether other people have gone abroad solo at my age to make a new start and how it worked out for them.
You might be better to have a thread title asking specifically that in the country forums you're interested in moving to. Off the top of my head, certain visa types in Aus and Canada do have upper age limits. All the best.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think it's the same principle regardless...how you look on things will impact on how you'll enjoy it or not.

The practicalities of being able to move to a certain country or not, well that's out of your hands. You either can or you can't, depending on the country and your skillset/wealth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.