Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:19 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Alarms set. 0200 kick off time here. Trying to take a tactical snooze but no success yet. Tomorrow is going to be long, especially if we lose.
2:00 kick off. A test of dedication.

I just my missus to be OK going to the cinema on her own, on our anniversary. We are staying at a hotel down town tonight. I'll watch the game, she sees a movie and then we meet up for posh nosh dinner.

I may pay for this later.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:53 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
2:00 kick off. A test of dedication.

I just my missus to be OK going to the cinema on her own, on our anniversary. We are staying at a hotel down town tonight. I'll watch the game, she sees a movie and then we meet up for posh nosh dinner.

I may pay for this later.
In fairness, my mrs has been warned that the World Cup is every Xmas and birthday for the last four years rolled into a month of ecstasy/agony/wonderment.

She's up with me watching. Only bad thing for her is that by the time it finishes her alarms will wait all of 30mins until telling her to get up for school. (She's a teacher, I'm not a perv).

Now in true Dubai big time fashion I'm spending half time searching for where to book a table to watch the next game.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:45 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Who's tired???

Worth waiting up for I think. Pirlo is amazing for 35.

Any thoughts for Uruguay? Me, get rid of Wilshere and Welbeck, start Barkley and Lallana.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:58 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Who's tired???

Worth waiting up for I think. Pirlo is amazing for 35.

Any thoughts for Uruguay? Me, get rid of Wilshere and Welbeck, start Barkley and Lallana.
Lallana isn't an impact player so start him or forget him. You'll get 50-60mins out of him then he disappears (hence why he was our most subbed player).

Barkley good because so physical and big.

Welbeck was a let down for second goal, couldn't be arsed to track back.

Sterling - People are raving about him but he was either awesome or pointless I thought.

...and yes, I'm shattered.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:04 pm
mfh
Just Passing Through

mfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond repute

Given that over the last 4 world cups only 4 teams have lost their first match and yet continued into the knockout section (Spain was the last one in 2010) I think both England and Spain should be checking out return flights

I hope not as I would like both teams ton have a good run and I would love it if Spain actually retained the Cup
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

The England Team visited a Brazilian Orphanage today " It was heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope " said José aged 6....... !!!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser View Post
The England Team visited a Brazilian Orphanage today " It was heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope " said José aged 6....... !!!!!!
Meanwhile an altercation broke out in the dining room of Team Spains hotel when a couple on their 1st date were discussing if they should go Dutch on the bill.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:09 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Pirlo is amazing for 35.
Aren't you old enough to be his mother? I do find it strange looking at footballers and thinking "Look at that old bugger, he should've retired by now" then realising they're the same age as me yet I still have 30+ years of working ahead of me. Did I say strange? I meant depressing.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 6:01 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Aren't you old enough to be his mother? I do find it strange looking at footballers and thinking "Look at that old bugger, he should've retired by now" then realising they're the same age as me yet I still have 30+ years of working ahead of me. Did I say strange? I meant depressing.
Bloody cheek! Older sister, maybe
Old Jun 16th 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Aren't you old enough to be his mother?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:06 am
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

All you buggers in here on this thread, me wondering why nobody was posting anything during the World Cup on the normal 'footie' thread...!!

Anyway, Brazil to get their act together and make the Final, with Spain still making it out of the Group at Chile's expense.

Very impressed by the Dutch (though Spain were dung), VERY, VERY impressed with that bearded 35-year-old Italian lad with the girl's name, and very pleased to see Jurgen's lot show some grit and determination to get a 2-1 win this evening and give the US a decent chance to qualify ahead of the woeful Portuguese.

Good stuff, so far (I guess unless you support England, with Woy watching poor Leighton Baines exposed horribly for the whole 90 minutes, yet doing absolutely NOTHING about it, and then wondering why the Italians scored from a free cross from (yes, you've guessed it...) England's left flank.... sometimes wonder if all these 'tactical geniuses' earning big money actually have a solid clue about our game at all...!?!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 9:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post

...snip......

Anyway, Brazil to get their act together and make the Final, with Spain still making it out of the Group at Chile's expense....snip....

Shocker..Spain gets
Spoiler:
ass kicked by Chile and is eliminated

Last edited by ironporer; Jun 18th 2014 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:38 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer View Post
Shocker..Spain gets
Spoiler:
ass kicked by Chile and is eliminated
Can't deny my absolute shock at this...how the mighty have fallen (though the decision to abandon the 'false 9' (Fabregas) for a clearly unfit Diego Costa was always going to be a big gamble- I'm surprised del Bosque persisted with it today after it clearly didn't work at all against Holland....)
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:21 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I laughed my arse off.

The Oz match was another corker of a game today too.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:12 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Can't deny my absolute shock at this...how the mighty have fallen (though the decision to abandon the 'false 9' (Fabregas) for a clearly unfit Diego Costa was always going to be a big gamble- I'm surprised del Bosque persisted with it today after it clearly didn't work at all against Holland....)
Yep spot on - Costa was clearly carrying an injury and Torres is now utter bobbins so they should have taken Llorente and Negredo for those 2. Also very surprised they left Navas behind as he offers something different to Tiki Taki.

I think Torres is actually a "false 9" too, he wears the number 9 but is a worse centre forward than my Granny!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.