Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014

Originally Posted by Scouse Express View Post
No doubt, it was made clear to him by John Henry, that such behaviour would not be tolerated, after the Chelski incident, and Liverpool FC acted upon it.
I dont think that had anything to do with it. The release clause was written into the contract extension he signed last year, and that was good business on Liverpools behalf. Barca of course knew about it as did Real, but once it became clear that he wanted to go to Barca they stopped competing for him to save face.

There was a lot of talk of loyalty to liverpool of course, just as there is with every potential transfer target, but everyone knew it was simply a question of money and time. Fair play to the club. They got him to stay an extra year and he helped get us into the promised land of the champions league. He was fantastic to watch, but realistically even when he came from the dutch league it was clear that Spain was his ultimate destination, and the club have managed to get a good price for potentially damaged goods, hes Barcas problem now.

Bite or no bite, it was only a matter of time before he was off. He was great to watch while it lasted, and now we find out just how good Brendan Rodgers is without a force of nature to get results for him.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
To my eternal shame - I agree completely with Ed on this - suppose it had to happen once in a lifetime

PS IainK you still got one wrong - even after the event had finished!
I did?

A club is virtually always going to publicly back its players. Utd did it with Cantona, Arsenal with Adams etc etc. Examples of clubs ditching players due to disciplinary issues or off field events are vanishingly rare. Expecting Liverpool to behave any different to all the other clubs is unrealistic.

Apart from anything else it makes no business sense to write of a multimillion pound asset that way, and legally I would think they have a responsibility to attempt to rehabilitate their employee anyway.

Now, it will be interesting to see what happens if he does it again... Barca have certainly taken a chance spending 75M on him, but I suppose at 27 years old after another 5 years that money is pretty much a write off anyway, a 32 year old Suarez is unlikely to be worth a huge amount even if he doesnt get himself banned again.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 16th 2014 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
You're not far wrong, zargof...rumours are that Besic will sign for Everton within the next 48 hours....

Big Whip-Round in the Blue Nose Pubs of Wales, then
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:28 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
I dont think that had anything to do with it. The release clause was written into the contract extension he signed last year, and that was good business on Liverpools behalf. Barca of course knew about it as did Real, but once it became clear that he wanted to go to Barca they stopped competing for him to save face.

There was a lot of talk of loyalty to liverpool of course, just as there is with every potential transfer target, but everyone knew it was simply a question of money and time. Fair play to the club. They got him to stay an extra year and he helped get us into the promised land of the champions league. He was fantastic to watch, but realistically even when he came from the dutch league it was clear that Spain was his ultimate destination, and the club have managed to get a good price for potentially damaged goods, hes Barcas problem now.

Bite or no bite, it was only a matter of time before he was off. He was great to watch while it lasted, and now we find out just how good Brendan Rodgers is without a force of nature to get results for him.

Completely agree. There was never any chance that Suarez wouldn't leave Liverpool if the asking price was met, and IMO in 75m the club have managed to do some very good business indeed- the guy may be a world-class striker, but there is a good chance that Liverpool have 'got his best years' (as with Torres) anyway, and his ongoing mental issues make him a potential time-bomb for Barca.

I'm still shocked that Barca have chucked Sanchez, basically presumably because they have got Suarez signed....Suarez can't play until Halloween, and I'd have thought a front four of Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Sanchez (as an attacking winger) would be enough to scare most opposition teams into submission before a ball was kicked....
Old Jul 16th 2014, 5:02 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
I'm still shocked that Barca have chucked Sanchez, basically presumably because they have got Suarez signed....Suarez can't play until Halloween, and I'd have thought a front four of Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Sanchez (as an attacking winger) would be enough to scare most opposition teams into submission before a ball was kicked....
Messi out of form, Neymar injured, Suarez banned and Sanchez sold - have they got anyone left?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 5:05 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Messi out of form, Neymar injured, Suarez banned and Sanchez sold - have they got anyone left?
It sounds like they didn't think that one through very well ...
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit late with this, but it's not too late to smile about it.

I met a fairy today who said she would grant me one wish.
"I want to live forever," I said.
"Sorry," said the fairy, "but I am not allowed to grant that type of wish."
"Fine," I said, "Then I want to die when England wins the World Cup."
"You crafty bastard!" said the fairy.