British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   svens gone a nobbin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/svens-gone-nobbin-245422/)

andy kerry Jul 30th 2004 10:21 pm

svens gone a nobbin

so svens been dipping his wick whilst playing away from home so whats the big deal surely his management skills where crap before being caught out . is this the excuse for the FA to get rid of a poor choice of manager without losing face. who do you think should be the next england manager. seems we need a unemployed enoch souds like graham taylor again.can we please have a englishman this time . :confused:

wmoore Jul 30th 2004 10:52 pm

Re: svens gone a nobbin

Originally posted by andy kerry
can we please have a englishman this time . :confused:
So long as it's not Steve McLaren. He's got more important work to do this season.......

walla Jul 31st 2004 7:48 am

Originally posted by wmoore
So long as it's not Steve McLaren. He's got more important work to do this season.......
Hi wm

Like trying to beat the mighty Mags first game of the season? ;)

Walla

wmoore Jul 31st 2004 8:18 am

Originally posted by walla1
Hi wm

Like trying to beat the mighty Mags first game of the season? ;)

Walla
'Mighty'? Our luck has gotta turn against them. Home and away the last few seasons we've been the better team and come out with nothing.

This time.
This time.

walla Jul 31st 2004 8:44 am

'Mighty'? Our luck has gotta turn against them. Home and away the last few seasons we've been the better team and come out with nothing.

This time.
This time.
I don't think so, although you have made some interesting signings. If Woodgate is still unfit and misses the game you may have a chance as our defence is dire without him. But if he plays.........

The "better" team always wins games. League tables don't lie!!

Anyway we'll know 2 weeks today. I'm struggling to get a ticket failing that it's live on Sky isn't it?

Walla

wmoore Jul 31st 2004 8:51 am

I don't think so, although you have made some interesting signings. If Woodgate is still unfit and misses the game you may have a chance as our defence is dire without him. But if he plays.........

The "better" team always wins games. League tables don't lie!!

Anyway we'll know 2 weeks today. I'm struggling to get a ticket failing that it's live on Sky isn't it?

Walla
Prem Plus 5:35 KO.
I'm off out to get my ticket this morn (hopefully). Otherwise I'll have to stay in the pub and watch it (oh well ;)) :beer: :beer:

walla Jul 31st 2004 10:03 am

Prem Plus 5:35 KO.
I'm off out to get my ticket this morn (hopefully). Otherwise I'll have to stay in the pub and watch it (oh well ;)) :beer: :beer:

me too (pub i mean), may the best team win, good luck on the ticket front

andy kerry Jul 31st 2004 5:39 pm

me too (pub i mean), may the best team win, good luck on the ticket front
hey thats not fair , no mentioning of pubs on this thread please makes me homesick have one for me though :beer:. so come on then whos the next manager i still fancey oniel even though hes not english i think he has the right attitude for the job. and im sure he wouldnt pick that tosspot david james or heskey. and for the mags supporter good luck with butt what a bargain 2.5 mil what a steal :D

wmoore Jul 31st 2004 5:47 pm

hey thats not fair , no mentioning of pubs on this thread please makes me homesick have one for me though :beer:. so come on then whos the next manager i still fancey oniel even though hes not english i think he has the right attitude for the job. and im sure he wouldnt pick that tosspot david james or heskey. and for the mags supporter good luck with butt what a bargain 2.5 mil what a steal :D
Sorry Andy, back to the point ;)
I agree with you on O'Neill, good choice but I'm not sure he would fancy it to be honest. I do think that McLaren may be the best choice if Sven were to be sacked because of his familiarity with the set-up and the players. Don't think Curbishley would do a good job, despite his EPL 'successes'.

walla Jul 31st 2004 8:55 pm

Sorry Andy

Thanks for the Butt thing, great signing

You know what threads are like they tend to deviate.

OK, Sven will stay, shag the rest of the FA, I believe there are many more good lookers to shag.

Because of his shagging talents he will f**k up the national teams chances of winning anything. :scared:

O'Neil will never ever manage a national English team, there's more chance of Ian Paisley running for Pope. :eek: :eek:

So back to you're point. Sven will stay, they can't afford to sack him. After a crap World Cup where we will fail miserably he will be replaced by one of the best up and coming English young managers this last one hundred years has ever seen................. Alan Shearer.

Walla

walla Jul 31st 2004 9:11 pm

so svens been dipping his wick whilst playing away from home so whats the big deal surely his management skills where crap before being caught out . is this the excuse for the FA to get rid of a poor choice of manager without losing face. who do you think should be the next england manager. seems we need a unemployed enoch souds like graham taylor again.can we please have a englishman this time . :confused:
Hi Andy

On a more serious note: English managers, where are they?

Sam Alardyce, Curbishly, Bruce, McLaren?

With all due respect to the clubs they manage what have they achieved? What international experience do they have? Bruce, couple of caps, not sure how many and McLaren coaching the national side with what success?

Be in for a long haul my friend till someone with real talent emerges

Walla

wmoore Jul 31st 2004 9:30 pm

On a more serious note: English managers, where are they?
This is a valid point. I know my allegiance is obvious but it's a fact that McClaren was the first English manager to win a (serious) domestic trophy in EIGHT YEARS this season. That's just way too long. It's sad that all the teams challenging have foreign managers with teams based around foreign players. Doesn't bode well for the national game.
Walla, you'll remember Keegan's Newcastle team of a few years ago I'm sure - 10 Englishmen and David Ginola was hailed by the media but I really can't see it happening again any time soon.

walla Jul 31st 2004 9:48 pm

This is a valid point. I know my allegiance is obvious but it's a fact that McClaren was the first English manager to win a (serious) domestic trophy in EIGHT YEARS this season. That's just way too long. It's sad that all the teams challenging have foreign managers with teams based around foreign players. Doesn't bode well for the national game.
Walla, you'll remember Keegan's Newcastle team of a few years ago I'm sure - 10 Englishmen and David Ginola was hailed by the media but I really can't see it happening again any time soon.

Hey wm

Yes I remember with fondness the side KK built, nearly won the championship and Ginola was a God. He got the England job on the back of that even thou he was at Fulham at the time, promotion etc. That is KK's strong point he turns bad teams into good ones, look at us 14 years ago, we were the pits. Give the man some cash and he can turn a Div 1 side into world beaters, in Div 1 anyway.

KK is still a God in my book for what he did for us, we are now one of the top 10 clubs in the world, unfortunatley in cash terms and not for success

He created a great domestic side, at Newcastle, but couldn't transfer those talents to a national level. And that is the crux of the matter. Domestic tactics don't work at an international level.

So what do we do? I advocate for a good domestic manager working alongside a great national coach ie Scholarie (wrong spelling I know). Pick his brains and give him time and let the good times roll. F**k the press, ignore them and let them get on with it.

Rant finished

Scholarie and Bruce for me ( no biase intended)

Walla

andy kerry Jul 31st 2004 10:13 pm

svens nob

thats a very good point ,shearer, im sure he has the respect of most pros but do you really think hes a man manager he allways seems a little wrapped up in protecting himself from the media, im not sure that the media wouldnt rip him apart after one bad result. i also like the idea of bruce, being a man utd fan and living very near norwich a few years ago he was allways one of my favorite players. im sure he would have had more caps for eng but for the compitition at the time for that position.

i think sven will be sacked there got the perfect excuse gross missconduct and i can see mc claren doing it on apart time basis maybe with curbishly because he has more time to spare than a premier manager.

what worries me is we dont have a goalkeeper the defence can trust. in euro 2004 he was made to look good by a good defence we need another shilton. i cant think of one keeper that is good enough for his country yet.
cant wait for the start of the season ive been watching man utd on tour over here smith looks shite hot its nice to know leeds are still open for shopping :D

walla Jul 31st 2004 10:31 pm

Re: svens nob

Andy

I'll go through your points:

Beauty of Shearer is he can handle the press, he's a clever bloke.

I like Bruce too, he's a Geordie after all!! He looks like he may have what it takes.

Sven will not be sacked believe me, it will be to expensive. However he must be a good shag so he must have something going for him and he has the backing of the players regardless of the gross misconduct.

Goalkeepers? We are desparate. Ian Walker third choice at Euro 04, says it all.

And Smith? We should have bought him last transfer window in January along with Butt and Newcastle would now be in the Champions League. They would have both cost Kong currency, peanuts.

Walla