Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I think it's a big gamble having Henderson AND Wilshire in midfield, both are made of glass and I can't see either of them being able to make it through 3 games unscathed. Lallana should be absolutely nowhere near the squad either, he's barely played this season and looked nothing like the player he was last year when he has played.
I have my 22 in mind and Lallana isn't in it. England have more than enough attacking midfielders who have done more this season.

I think central midfield is England's biggest problem. Dier and Winks would be the natural fits to interchange with Henderson and Wilshere. Drinkwater as well. There's nothing really frightening there but if they can be efficient then maybe the players in front can cause some problems.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Begs the question do you think we will be there?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
England played the game the right way yesterday and moved the ball with a degree of fluency that I don't think we've seen before in terms of good backward passes to draw the dutch out.

I'd slot in Wilshere or Harry Winks like you have done to play next to Henderson.

Danny Rose didn't play particularly well so I'd also assess other left back options.

I really liked what Southgate did by pushing Walker into the back 3. He has the pace to help England recover from poor positions and I thought this was brave to try and deserves a lot of credit.

With Rashford, Alli, Dier, Vardy and Oxlade Chamberlain on the bench it provides some cover and opportunities to change it up.
After watching todays game, I am of the belief we need to use the players from the first game but slot in Kane up top, and figure the midfield conundrum. Right now, I'm saying Ali should be on the bench, and not starting, and I feel he'd ruin the flow and connection we saw between the front 3 and the wingbacks in the first friendly. But we have to use the 3-4-3, we looked better for it.

Who would you look at for LWB? Young? He did't please me too much today with his game.

We have a strong bench for once, that's for sure.

I have my 22 in mind and Lallana isn't in it. England have more than enough attacking midfielders who have done more this season.

I think central midfield is England's biggest problem. Dier and Winks would be the natural fits to interchange with Henderson and Wilshere. Drinkwater as well. There's nothing really frightening there but if they can be efficient then maybe the players in front can cause some problems.
I have my 22 in mind too, and Lallana AND Hart are not in it. I'll be pissed if either or both end up going to the world cup. I don't care about Harts 'experience', sod it. Experienced players have done naff all in the past for England, so just throw caution to the wind, play the 3-4-3 and enjoy the football we saw in the first game. I also was pleased to see some sort of EPL style game transitioned to the national stage in a long, long time in the first game
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste View Post

Who would you look at for LWB? Young? He did't please me too much today with his game.

We have a strong bench for once, that's for sure.

I'm a Tottenham fan so in theory I should be a Danny Rose admirer but I felt he was poor against Holland in terms of his end ball.

I think after Young and Rose we have few options there. From an England fan perspective we need Danny Rose to get his place back in the Tottenham team ahead of Ben Davies to regain his best form.

If Young is playing regularly for United I'd pick him ahead of Rose if Rose continues to play second fiddle at club level.

I've really liked Sterling over the last two games. It will be exciting if Kane can be fit to have two players who've scored 20+ goals in the Premier League playing together.
Old May 9th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the world cup is already only next month I'm looking forward to it now to be honest!
Old May 16th 2018, 5:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Interesting squad.

I would've taken Shelvey over Welbeck.

He may not be polished but a deep lying midfielder who can pick a pass would have given us something in central midfield that was different from Dier and Henderson.

Welbeck has also played little first team football and demonstrated little ability in the last 12 months.

Given the number of centre back's in the squad it looks built for 5-3-2, 3-5-2.

It's a youngish squad which I like so hopefully we have some energy to press and surprise a few by being fast on breaks.

Looking forward to it now.

Last edited by JamesM; May 16th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old May 16th 2018, 5:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting squad.

I would've taken Shelvey over Welbeck.

He may not be polished but a deep lying midfielder who can pick a pass would have given us something in central midfield that was different from Dier and Henderson.

Welbeck has also played little first team football and demonstrated little ability in the last 12 months.

Given the number of centre back's in the squad it looks built for 5-3-2, 3-5-2.

It's a youngish squad which I like so hopefully we have some energy to press and surprise a few by being fast on breaks.

Looking forward to it now.
I think young and high energy is the phillosophy used for the squad hence Welbeck is in.

Shelvey only has a pass completion rate of 74% this year so isn't actually that good at passing and he is hardly high energy so won't match the phillosophy.

Tarkowski is extremely unlucky not to be selected particularly given the Jones donkey is going. I also think Betrand a bit unlucky. Tarowski for Jones and Betrand for Young, oh and the hedgehog currently in my garden for Henderson would strengthen things...
Old May 16th 2018, 8:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

It was a shame Oxlade got injured!

I think the sudden inclusion of Cahill took Tarowski's spot.

Tarowski will still make it as someone will get injured between now and then.
Old May 17th 2018, 1:27 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
I think young and high energy is the phillosophy used for the squad hence Welbeck is in.

Shelvey only has a pass completion rate of 74% this year so isn't actually that good at passing and he is hardly high energy so won't match the phillosophy.

Tarkowski is extremely unlucky not to be selected particularly given the Jones donkey is going. I also think Betrand a bit unlucky. Tarowski for Jones and Betrand for Young, oh and the hedgehog currently in my garden for Henderson would strengthen things...
Shelvey's pass completion rate is probably hindered by the fact he tries to do long passes rather than passing a few feet to the guy next to you and also the people on the end of his passes are shite. I bet it's a lot easier to pass to Mo Salah than it is Matt Richie. The being said Shelvey is a cock which in itself is a good enough reason not to include him.
Old May 17th 2018, 6:09 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Welbeck being included is a joke.

Total waste of space.
Old May 17th 2018, 8:25 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Welbeck being included is a joke.

Total waste of space.
Yup. Rather just take 22. He’s hopeless. Some of the best business we did was flogging him.
Old May 17th 2018, 8:29 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post

Yup. Rather just take 22. He’s hopeless. Some of the best business we did was flogging him.
That being said, at the end of the Euros I said I'd be happy for England to take a team of average / workhorses / players with a pair of balls over the usual bullshit flair / skill players who don't produce the goods.
I also said I'd rather see some youngsters go and get game time and ****ing see what happens rather than turn up with a 442 drab, dross midfield with a right footer on the left struggling to find their place and playing turgid, shit, slow football and drawing 0-0 with Algeria and wondering why we're actually happy with that result.

Southgate has binned some names which is superb.
He's got some youngsters in there which is superb as well.
The fact he's included that donkey Welbeck is therefore forgivable in my mind.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:41 pm
European Expat Migrant

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Some TV pundits are hinting that Southgate is just 'grooming' and has his eye more on 2022 than this time around. I'm not sure.

Also not convinced by the decision to include Welbeck.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8355391.html

World Cup 2018: Argentina issue apology for printing Russia guide that included tips to seduce women

The guide has been condemned as sexist, with the Argentine Football Association claiming it was a printing error
Old May 17th 2018, 1:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Southgate has binned some names which is superb.
He's got some youngsters in there which is superb as well.
The fact he's included that donkey Welbeck is therefore forgivable in my mind.
I was very happy with the binning of Hart and Wheelchair but I was a bit miffed he recalled Cahill.

If he is planning for 2022 as someone mentioned up thread then Cahill and Young are a waste of time.

Young has played well enough in the last 12 months though and deserves a spot.

You can't plan for something that is 4 years away. Just go out and try and win every game I'm sure is the real mantra.

England's tournament rests on Kane and Sterling producing in tandem. If we can do that then the dizzy heights of the quarter finals may come our way.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.