Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:58 pm
  #136  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,001
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by ededed View Post


That iconic 1966 photo of Moore and Charlton...fast forward to 2018. Kane and Ali hoisted aloft in Russia with the World Cup. What a time to be English. The absolute state of those two being the poster boys for the next 50 years.
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
yep me too
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'd ****ing take it though.
We're getting awfully ahead of ourselves. I'd take a quarter final spot!

We don't have the centre backs to win or the players to park in front of them.
JamesM is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2018, 4:27 pm
  #137  
Late In May In 1999...
 
Cainess's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR (originally from N. Ireland)
Posts: 2,836
Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Let's be honest: with the players England have at their disposal, anything less than getting out of a Group which includes Panama (who are AWFUL, trust me. We drew 0-0 with them in Panama City last week with a reserve/kids team, and they looked brutal, like League 2/non-league brutal....) would be shockingly inept and without excuse. By the time England face Belgium, it should be to decide who wins the Group, with the losers still qualifying in 2nd place.
Cainess is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2018, 4:31 pm
  #138  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 5,988
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Ciao Ragazzi! Been away for a week so just catching up on this thread.

Dele will be one of the stand out players of the WC, mark my words. Despite all the negativity and booing that surrounded him last season he still managed 106 appearances, 67 wins, 37 goals and 26 assist. He is and will continue to be pivotal in the English squad.
pommybird is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:31 pm
  #139  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,001
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Let's be honest: with the players England have at their disposal, anything less than getting out of a Group which includes Panama (who are AWFUL, trust me. We drew 0-0 with them in Panama City last week with a reserve/kids team, and they looked brutal, like League 2/non-league brutal....) would be shockingly inept and without excuse. By the time England face Belgium, it should be to decide who wins the Group, with the losers still qualifying in 2nd place.
Great. Cainess gives it the kiss of death.

Panama to beat England!
JamesM is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:32 am
  #140  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,624
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Ciao Ragazzi! Been away for a week so just catching up on this thread.

Dele will be one of the stand out players of the WC, mark my words. Despite all the negativity and booing that surrounded him last season he still managed 106 appearances, 67 wins, 37 goals and 26 assist. He is and will continue to be pivotal in the English squad.
Amen.
He HAS to play in behind Kane and continue feeding the goal machine.

Can't help but think as a squad and management, we need to be wiser about discussing racism in Russia. Danny Rose may have some opinions on it, but he's practically goading these idiots.
Can't work out if I agree with him for raising it and criticising FIFA and Russia....or if he's just asking to be personally attacked and we'd have done better to turn the other cheek, say nothing and deal with any issues afterwards....
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:23 am
  #141  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 729
Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Amen.
He HAS to play in behind Kane and continue feeding the goal machine.

Can't help but think as a squad and management, we need to be wiser about discussing racism in Russia. Danny Rose may have some opinions on it, but he's practically goading these idiots.
Can't work out if I agree with him for raising it and criticising FIFA and Russia....or if he's just asking to be personally attacked and we'd have done better to turn the other cheek, say nothing and deal with any issues afterwards....
Yeah, I can kind of see his point; racism is alive and kicking and will probably happen as it is Russia and needs sorting out big time in footy. However, if you (Rose's words) firmly believe nothing will change, then why mention it (until it's happened)? I know change can't happen unless people begin to address it, but I feel he's doing himself no favours. Unfortunately, racists are small minded idiots and now Rose has made himself an 'easy' target, per se. As you said - might have been better to have had those meetings on how to deal with racism and what to do if you're targeted and keep it private, keeping your eye on why you're there, than sharing it with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Especially if racists see the articles.
Maste is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:27 am
  #142  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,624
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
Yeah, I can kind of see his point; racism is alive and kicking and will probably happen as it is Russia and needs sorting out big time in footy. However, if you (Rose's words) firmly believe nothing will change, then why mention it (until it's happened)? I know change can't happen unless people begin to address it, but I feel he's doing himself no favours. Unfortunately, racists are small minded idiots and now Rose has made himself an 'easy' target, per se. As you said - might have been better to have had those meetings on how to deal with racism and what to do if you're targeted and keep it private, keeping your eye on why you're there, than sharing it with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Especially if racists see the articles.
I agree with you completely as I think privacy and being cautious until there's something to moan about are very important.

That being said, telling someone to not speak up about any issue of this severity goes against what I think is right, so I'm sort of stuck in a whirlpool of contradictions with myself and impossible decisions.

Which makes me think that saying nothing until something happens is the wise choice. There are millions of Russians who now hate Danny Rose because he called them racist when they aren't.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2018, 8:58 pm
  #143  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 729
Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

I was confused by the team selection for this final friendly - 10 changes? I was expecting to see our starting XI to get them gelling even more to hit the ground running in Russia. This made me wonder if he even knows his own starting XI yet? I think Rose and Rashford have to start personally. But yeah, pretty cookie cutter game as expected. Rashford's goal was nice.
Maste is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:21 am
  #144  
MODERATOR
 
ededed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Home, I think.
Posts: 9,214
ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I agree with you completely as I think privacy and being cautious until there's something to moan about are very important.

That being said, telling someone to not speak up about any issue of this severity goes against what I think is right, so I'm sort of stuck in a whirlpool of contradictions with myself and impossible decisions.

Which makes me think that saying nothing until something happens is the wise choice. There are millions of Russians who now hate Danny Rose because he called them racist when they aren't.
The World Cup should never have been in Russia. They should have moved it as soon as Blatter was fired.

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
I was confused by the team selection for this final friendly - 10 changes? I was expecting to see our starting XI to get them gelling even more to hit the ground running in Russia. This made me wonder if he even knows his own starting XI yet? I think Rose and Rashford have to start personally. But yeah, pretty cookie cutter game as expected. Rashford's goal was nice.
Lads, it’s Costa Rica.
ededed is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2018, 1:04 pm
  #145  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 729
Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by ededed View Post


The World Cup should never have been in Russia. They should have moved it as soon as Blatter was fired.


Definitely. I never understood how it remained in Russia.



Lads, it’s Costa Rica.
Yes, and? We couldn't even beat them in 2014 lol. I would have liked to see what our starting XI is definitely going to be, that's all. And playing such a weak team made a lot of players look good and therefore makes it seem they earned a place when they probably didn't.
Maste is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:05 pm
  #146  
Late In May In 1999...
 
Cainess's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR (originally from N. Ireland)
Posts: 2,836
Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

It should never have been in Russia, but it will be now, which is bad enough...but the fact that it is STILL scheduled to be in Qatar in 4 years is an absolute disgrace, and needs to be overturned as soon as this tournament is over.
Cainess is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2018, 5:10 pm
  #147  
Late In May In 1999...
 
Cainess's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR (originally from N. Ireland)
Posts: 2,836
Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

By the way: I have set up a league for British Expats site on the official World Cup Fantasy Football website: https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home

The CODE you will need to enter is: NU17OCLE

Come on in, the water's warm!!
Cainess is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:44 pm
  #148  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 729
Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
By the way: I have set up a league for British Expats site on the official World Cup Fantasy Football website: https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home

The CODE you will need to enter is: NU17OCLE

Come on in, the water's warm!!
I'm in. Can't promise I'll provide much competition lol.
Maste is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:23 pm
  #149  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 9,072
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
By the way: I have set up a league for British Expats site on the official World Cup Fantasy Football website: https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home

The CODE you will need to enter is: NU17OCLE

Come on in, the water's warm!!
cheers dude I'm in
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2018, 3:59 pm
  #150  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 5,988
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Amen.
He HAS to play in behind Kane and continue feeding the goal machine.

Can't help but think as a squad and management, we need to be wiser about discussing racism in Russia. Danny Rose may have some opinions on it, but he's practically goading these idiots.
Can't work out if I agree with him for raising it and criticising FIFA and Russia....or if he's just asking to be personally attacked and we'd have done better to turn the other cheek, say nothing and deal with any issues afterwards....
Hey Scampi, got my free wall chart in my paper today.....it's on the kitchen wall ready to go!

Danny Rose? He has been brave enough to come out and share with everyone his battle with depression and the state of his mental health, he was clearly in bad place, and we don't really know if he's through that. Cut the lad a bit of slack I say.
pommybird is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.