Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
I think only losing 5 out of 41 games, as England U21 manager, is a pretty sound record.
Sure, at U21 level. Whats he won by the way? How many U21s have gone on to excel at full international level?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:37 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

So if Harry goes, are we getting the special one? A bit of silverware would be nice.....

Moyes also seems a possibility 'cos he'd be cheap and we all know Daniel likes a bargain
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
So if Harry goes, are we getting the special one? A bit of silverware would be nice.....
So given the choice who would you rather have?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:41 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Sure, at U21 level. Whats he won by the way? How many U21s have gone on to excel at full international level?
Not winning, but runners up in the European championship, in 2009.

I'm not sure where your point about U21's not playing at full international level is going - you pick the best players available at the time. If they don't then go on to mature, how's that the U21 coach's fault?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:41 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
So given the choice who would you rather have?
What out of Harry or Mourinho? Oh Harry by far, I think if anyone can take us to the title he can. But if Harry takes the England job I'll understand why and wish him all the best and take Mourinho as a good second best.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The one where they naively surrendered a 3 goal lead to Sweden and snuck in on penalties, only to get thumped by the Germans?

The pressure and the quality of say the Premier League or Champions league just isnt there, its youth football at the end of the day, he doesnt have to deal with the huge egos and all that.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:48 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where your point about U21's not playing at full international level is going - you pick the best players available at the time. If they don't then go on to mature, how's that the U21 coach's fault?
Plus having already got those players to play well, why wouldn't he be able to get them to play well at full level?

Everyone keeps talking about how we need to get all the old players out of the squad and give the kids a chance, seems a perfect opportunity for the young ones to actually make an impact.

For years we have had the players, but they always perform shit at international level, we need a manager who can motivate, not someone who given plenty of money at club level has managed to win a trophy.

Personally, I would sooner the team gave a shit, played their hearts out and still didn't win, than the utter dire crap they have turned out in recent years.

What out of Harry or Mourinho? Oh Harry by far, I think if anyone can take us to the title he can. But if Harry takes the England job I'll understand why and wish him all the best and take Mourinho as a good second best.
Can you imagine how much Mourinho would want to win with Spurs, just for the pure pleasure of ramming it down Chelseas throat.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:49 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pommy, how about Jose to Liverpool 4, and you can have Kenny?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:49 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Plus having already got those players to play well, why wouldn't he be able to get them to play well at full level?

Everyone keeps talking about how we need to get all the old players out of the squad and give the kids a chance, seems a perfect opportunity for the young ones to actually make an impact.

For years we have had the players, but they always perform shit at international level, we need a manager who can motivate, not someone who given plenty of money at club level has managed to win a trophy.

Personally, I would sooner the team gave a shit, played their hearts out and still didn't win, than the utter dire crap they have turned out in recent years.

Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If you cant give a shit when pulling on the England shirt, how is having SP shouting at you going to change that?

Where England have traditionally failed (other then scoring penalties) is they have tactical rings run around them, we need someone who can have us run rings around the other teams.

Jesus, look at our decimation by the Germans in the last W-C, was that not illustration enough that running around and giving "110%" isnt enough to cut it against the big boys any more?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:56 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Hey Pommy, how about Jose to Liverpool 4, and you can have Kenny?
We'd only consider it, if he comes with a translator
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:58 pm
Life goes on.

If you cant give a shit when pulling on the England shirt, how is having SP shouting at you going to change that?

Where England have traditionally failed (other then scoring penalties) is they have tactical rings run around them, we need someone who can have us run rings around the other teams.

Jesus, look at our decimation by the Germans in the last W-C, was that not illustration enough that running around and giving "110%" isnt enough to cut it against the big boys any more?
As N1cky said, giving a shit and playing their hearts out is what it should be about - without national pride, what is the point in having national teams at all? We have all the commercial football we need - international matches should be - always were - about patriotism.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:05 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Amusingly I'm hearing on the radio that CApello was possibly told that John Terry could not be picked - at which point he pointed out he's the coach. And then the FA said, "actually no - you aren't."

I like that story. Because how colossally ****ing dumb will it be to get a new coach and for him to pick Terry and start talking him up as captain?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

As N1cky said, giving a shit and playing their hearts out is what it should be about - without national pride, what is the point in having national teams at all? We have all the commercial football we need - international matches should be - always were - about patriotism.
I imagine there is a lot of national pride to be had in actually winning something occasionally, rather than going home after the last 8....

Yes there should be passion and commitment from the players, but there needs to be more than that.

I still dont get the motivation thing. Either as a player you are proud and motivated to represent you country, or you are not. How does a manager alter that? What are they going to do, not pick the best players if they dont care? I can see how well that would go down!

If I was an England player, knowing how the media will crucify them if they dont win, I would want the manager best able to influence events on the pitch, and protect them from pressure off it. For me, that is Mourinho, no question.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:17 pm

For me, that is Mourinho, no question.

I thought you were having a serious argument until you put this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.