Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:30 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
........ yes, but arguably Shaw's price might drop after the WC (if other left backs have outstanding tournaments, say). I'm assuming of course that Shaw won't be selected for the England squad...........
I keep reading different things. Shaw, Schneiderlin and Lallana are off to OT....Schneiderlin to Arsenal....Lallana to Liverpool etc etc.

This is a test of Katharina Liebherr to show her actual intentions and what she wants from the club. By flogging our best players it will make the club a less attractive one to buy, but will give her cash...but she doesn't need cash at all. She's a bazillionaire (it's like a billionaire but your Dad just gave you it all), so does she want to sell? If so, who to? She'll want a pretty penny for the club.

Does she come out and refuse to sell and put a bit of cash in Poch's pocket to buy a striker, a keeper and a centre back?

Or does she stay, refuse to sell anyone key and not put any money in?

Who the **** knows, but in Poch we have a great manager for the future and I want him to stay. I want her to stay but I want her to open the purse up and let him sign a couple.

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
A lot of persistent stuff now about us having agreed a 27m deal for Luke Shaw with Southampton...rather a lot for an 18 year old, but encouraging news (if true) that the Club are being proactive in the market before the World Cup hikes the prices of the calibre of players we need to be after....
Can't see him going. Leighton Baines has earned a spot, Cashley Cole; despite never playing for Chelsea is still a world class LB.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Who the **** knows, but in Poch we have a great manager for the future and I want him to stay. I want her to stay but I want her to open the purse up and let him sign a couple.
Do you reckon Poch will stay? What with Cortese going, I think he's odds on to leave in the summer.

Last edited by Lord PercyPercy; Apr 8th 2014 at 3:33 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:35 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy View Post
Do you reckon Poch will stay? What with Cortese going, I think he's odds on to leave in the summer.
More rumours that he has been approached by Levy to take over at the Lane after the end of the season, which, given the superb job he has done at St. Mary's, is hardly a surprise...

If I were a Saints fan I'd be FAR more concerned at losing the manager rather than one or two of his playing squad, because he has brought Southampton SO FAR in terms of quality in the squad that a couple of players leaving (eg. Shaw & Lallana) may not have that much of an impact (assuming that he is given the transfer money to replace them with)....

Southampton have as much quality in their 1st team squad as anyone outside of citeh & Chelsea- I'm even tempted to say that Poch would be mad to leave there for Tottenham, unless Levy gives him guarantees of money to add to the Spurs squad...
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Levy always gives money to whoever comes in, lets face it, and most of it gets pissed down the nearest drain, he would be mad to go there, it's a hiding to nothing. I suspect even Van Gaal would struggle to get Spurs anywhere higher than 5th - which is where they usually end up.

I'd like to see Poch stay, he's done a great job there, he's nurturing the next England team.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If I were a Saints fan I'd be FAR more concerned at losing the manager rather than one or two of his playing squad, because he has brought Southampton SO FAR in terms of quality in the squad that a couple of players leaving
Doesnt Southamptons recent success have much to do with the excellent work of the youth academy that has brought through Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Shaw among others.

Credit to the manager for playing promising youngsters, but he is not the one responsible for that production line.

I cant see Pochettino wanting to risk the instability at Spurs in any case. Worth remembering that the (less heralded at the time) Brendan Rodgers allegedly turned the job down because of the worryingly high managerial turn over at WHL. One of the international mercenaries is the obvious fit, come in for a couple of years, not achieve too much (champions league at best), and then take the inevitable pay off when it doesnt work out to Daniel Levys optimistic satisfaction. Under the current regime its unlikely to attract someone that wants to come in and build a long term project from the ground up, its more likely to be the sort of coach that wants to spend the owners money to try and buy instant results which is a problem when you are competing with the likes of City and Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. They have more to spend.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 8th 2014 at 7:03 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:03 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Levy always gives money to whoever comes in, lets face it, and most of it gets pissed down the nearest drain, he would be mad to go there, it's a hiding to nothing. I suspect even Van Gaal would struggle to get Spurs anywhere higher than 5th - which is where they usually end up.

I'd like to see Poch stay, he's done a great job there, he's nurturing the next England team.
Don't think that's true at all, quite the opposite.

I think the thing that would stop 'top' managers coming to the Lane is the knowledge that as a club we do not have the wage budget or 'gravitas' to attract proven, world class players.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:47 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's not bad, Liverpool's game against Chelsea will be sandwiched between two semifinal games. Things like that might be all it takes in the end.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:09 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Well, that's not bad, Liverpool's game against Chelsea will be sandwiched between two semifinal games. Things like that might be all it takes in the end.
With Hazard out for 2 weeks there's a chance Chelsea's Premiership challenge could be over by then too. Of course there's a chance ours could be over by then as well.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:38 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I agree he's 'likely' to leave because Cortese went, but my pal's sister works there and is adamant he's doubled his salary by agreeing to stay.

BUT, all this is irrelevant really, if he wants to go, he will. It depends what Katharina Liebherr wants to do, ultimately. I hope he stays. In Poch we trust.

More rumours that he has been approached by Levy to take over at the Lane after the end of the season, which, given the superb job he has done at St. Mary's, is hardly a surprise...

If I were a Saints fan I'd be FAR more concerned at losing the manager rather than one or two of his playing squad, because he has brought Southampton SO FAR in terms of quality in the squad that a couple of players leaving (eg. Shaw & Lallana) may not have that much of an impact (assuming that he is given the transfer money to replace them with)....

Southampton have as much quality in their 1st team squad as anyone outside of citeh & Chelsea- I'm even tempted to say that Poch would be mad to leave there for Tottenham, unless Levy gives him guarantees of money to add to the Spurs squad...
Yep, he's made a huge difference. The only place I think he lets us down is his lack of ability to change things - Brenda this year has shown how he's got players to play in different formations to match / better the oppo. We rarely manage to do this. I'd like to see us a bit harder as well, teams like West Ham and Stoke just beat us up. We also can't hold on to a lead and don't create enough scoring chances.

There's problems everywhere but we're a work in progress.

He'd be mad to go to Spuds. Expectations vs Reality - it's got to be one of the worst places to go?

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Doesnt Southamptons recent success have much to do with the excellent work of the youth academy that has brought through Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Shaw among others.

Credit to the manager for playing promising youngsters, but he is not the one responsible for that production line.

I cant see Pochettino wanting to risk the instability at Spurs in any case. Worth remembering that the (less heralded at the time) Brendan Rodgers allegedly turned the job down because of the worryingly high managerial turn over at WHL. One of the international mercenaries is the obvious fit, come in for a couple of years, not achieve too much (champions league at best), and then take the inevitable pay off when it doesnt work out to Daniel Levys optimistic satisfaction. Under the current regime its unlikely to attract someone that wants to come in and build a long term project from the ground up, its more likely to be the sort of coach that wants to spend the owners money to try and buy instant results which is a problem when you are competing with the likes of City and Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. They have more to spend.
Yep. The youth training stuff has been impressive for years - Shearer for example.

They've just stuck about 30+million into the new club training facility. It'll have pitches with different types of turf to practice on before playing away at different grounds. It's mental the stuff they've thought of and done.

Genuinely enjoy being a Saints fan sometimes, we do a lot of things the right way, but sadly, it's come from yet another overseas billionaire. Let's just hope his daughter doesn't ruin his dream.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:29 am
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
I can't remember one Tottenham game that I have enjoyed watching this season.
Most of the Spurs games have been enjoyable this season. So have ours, it's just some of the results that having been so fun!

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
You may be right to a certain degree, considering the money you spent on some of your players you would think they are better than what we've got, but based on how they've been playing, then I think the only player out of your team that I would take would be Eriksen, and possibly Adebayor.

Anyway, good game today and a great result, certainly gives our hopes of snatching the Wenger Cup a boost. Everyone is saying that Arsenal have an easier run in and in terms of the teams they have to play compared to the teams we have to play you would think so. But Arsenal have been making it really hard for themselves over the last few weeks and I don't see that changing. It's certainly going to be interesting. Along with who wins and who goes down it been the most entertaining season in years.
At least it's a little more entertaining than knowing who's won or mostly-relegated two weeks before the end of the season.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:23 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Most of the Spurs games have been enjoyable this season. So have ours, it's just some of the results that having been so fun!

At least it's a little more entertaining than knowing who's won or mostly-relegated two weeks before the end of the season.
And your lot will still somehow squirm their way into 4th spot...

Anyway the way the Cherries are going I will supporting them in the premiership next season instead of Spurs, they've sent QPR, Reading, Birmingham and Leeds packing in their last few games and 2 points off a play off position, amazing stuff!
Old Apr 12th 2014, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I know Leeds United are not Premier League these days - in any sense - but the saga is prompting some interesting stuff.......... like this:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/...united-260301/
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:03 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Another game, another win. That's seven in a row now. Sunderland made it hard, but we got there in the end. We're inching close and closer to that 4th place.

Also want to say congratulations to Newcastle, only losing by one goal today is a big improvement.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:59 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not for a couple of days, and I hope the Scousers get walloped 5-0 today, but it just seems fitting to say RIP to the 96. I'm sure Anfield will be filled with emotion this afternoon - I'll be thinking of all my Liverpool supporting mates today.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:00 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Another game, another win. That's seven in a row now. Sunderland made it hard, but we got there in the end. We're inching close and closer to that 4th place.

Also want to say congratulations to Newcastle, only losing by one goal today is a big improvement.
Nobody cares.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.