Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Martin Tyler seemed to suggest (and it was agreed by the studio panel) that the LAWS of the game now allow the ref to award a penalty even if the initial contact was outside the box (did they change the laws recently, as I can recall plenty of incidents during the 80s, 90s and right up to recent years where it couldn't be a penalty if the initial contact was deemed outside the penalty area...??)- if so, then it's up to the ref's interpretation, presumably as to whether a clear goal-scoring chance was denied the attacking player (and in this case, there's little doubt that Dimichelis DID deny Messi the chance to score....)
Gary Lineker made a good point: You get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity, but you also get a penalty which is a goal scoring opportunity. It's strange.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
There was plenty of contact inside the area as well - why do people always talk about where the "first contact" was? There is nothing in the Laws that says the referee must only make his decision on the first contact.....
laws actually state it if where the foul concludes, not begins.

it was a penalty.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:50 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
laws actually state it if where the foul concludes, not begins. Really? Which Law says that?

it was a penalty.
I am not gonna get stressed about it as it will make no difference, Barca were always going through in my view.

I won't convince you and you won't convince me and it was ever thus!

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 20th 2014 at 5:18 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:29 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

it was a penalty.
Didn't know that...
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Didn't know that...
that's cos it is not true - the laws don't say that - his bad
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:08 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Gary Lineker made a good point: You get a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity, but you also get a penalty which is a goal scoring opportunity. It's strange.
UEFA seeks end to triple punishment

UEFA referees asked to avert triple punishment

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Martin Tyler seemed to suggest (and it was agreed by the studio panel) that the LAWS of the game now allow the ref to award a penalty even if the initial contact was outside the box (did they change the laws recently, as I can recall plenty of incidents during the 80s, 90s and right up to recent years where it couldn't be a penalty if the initial contact was deemed outside the penalty area...??)- if so, then it's up to the ref's interpretation, presumably as to whether a clear goal-scoring chance was denied the attacking player (and in this case, there's little doubt that Dimichelis DID deny Messi the chance to score....)
FIFA Rule 12

FIFA Laws of the Game 2013-14
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).

Penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

it was a penalty.
It appears to be where the defending player is positioned at the time of the offence, not where the ball is.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:32 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
UEFA seeks end to triple punishment

UEFA referees asked to avert triple punishment

FIFA Rule 12

FIFA Laws of the Game 2013-14
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).

Penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

It appears to be where the defending player is positioned at the time of the offence, not where the ball is.
please don't muddy the water over manc's assertion by providing the actual facts - they have no place here - better to make up your own laws
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:35 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
please don't muddy the water over manc's assertion by providing the actual facts - they have no place here - better to make up your own laws
It's all interpretation, no? Like the UEFA fair play laws?

It just looked like a penalty to me. Not that I cared. It means nothing - United are going to win this again this year, no-one can stop us now. We've had a 2 week holiday and it will be a new fresh attitude at the weekend as we destroy Palace away. I can't wait.

Good luck to Swansea, Everton, Sunderland and Stoke this weekend.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:25 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
It's all interpretation, no? Like the UEFA fair play laws?

It just looked like a penalty to me. Not that I cared. It means nothing - United are going to win this again this year, no-one can stop us now. We've had a 2 week holiday and it will be a new fresh attitude at the weekend as we destroy Palace away. I can't wait.

Good luck to Swansea, Everton, Sunderland and Stoke this weekend.
I saw shrek at a concert here last weekend.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:18 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I saw shrek at a concert here last weekend.
Was he with his 55 year old Scottish auld slapper friend?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:12 am
WWLLCJD?

No with his mrs but I reckon he had already visited the York to feast on something Asian / African.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:42 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Ferguson isn't 55!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

it was a penalty.
Yes indeed.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Yes indeed.
so you haven't read the laws either
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
so you haven't read the laws either
God, are we still on about that?

Even I wish he'd missed the ****ing penalty now, just to stop this debate.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.