Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2015-2016

Premier League 2015-2016

Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:58 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2015-2016

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
That was a piss take. I fully applaud what FC have done. Yes it caused division amongst some of the fans and some still go to both grounds. So why didn't Utd or other clubs step in and stop the corporate take overs that we are now seeing today. Is it feasible to stop a takeover?
Id certainly go and watch FC if I was back home for a visit the same as I would go to OT.
Look at Blackpool and whats happened to them. From the glory days of the 50s to a team who can barely put out a full strength squad.
Fair do's, mate, you 'had' me there...

Once you are listed on the Stock Exchange, you are fair game for any hostile takeover....and since the 'Coolmore Mafia' essentially welcomed takeover bids back in 2005, mostly in an effort to get back at SAF for the whole Rock of Gibraltar horse fall-out thing, it was no surprise to many when Glazer was allowed to buy us up.

What happened to Blackpool, and a lesser extent to Burnley also, is a lesson that you cannot afford to 'stand still' during your glory days, but must constantly strive to better the club ON the pitch as well as off it. Burnley, in particular, put long-term financial stability ahead of investment in the playing squad back in the 1960s, and were subsequently 'left behind' whenever they could have been a massive club for years ahead....good business principles, perhaps, but football isn't a typical business in that sense....
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
So Everton are worth $228M? Where is the money? It's not on the pitch, and it's definitely not in the fcking stadium!
Perhaps its in the Toffee fund.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
This will only piss of the dippers more as we adopted the United way (lots of sponsors) as opposed to their Liverpool way.
With Utds recent success on the pitch over the last 20 years its no surprise sponsors are lining up. Football is now a business and has been for years and all this talk of the 60s and 70s style of football and ownership is just like Liverpool its history.
Even when Utd were crap and relegated they still managed to pull in 40 thousand plus with a reduced capacity for ground improvement.
Unfortunately its now who can outspend who are find a richer sugar daddy.
Even if Utd don't win trophies but put in 2nd 3rd or 4th place finishes consistently and challenge in the cup competitions then their support will still be huge unlike some others clubs if they don't win trophies. Im not saying its right but certain fans can be fickle and in todays game fans want to see winners.
The old loyal fan has now been replaced by the corporate and tourism fan and until that changes not a lot can be done. I admit Utd have some band wagon fans but not as many as some others.
I thought football fans were the most loyal sports fans though.....

edit.all sports have fickle fans who are fair weather and change teams

Last edited by IJ157; Jun 9th 2015 at 2:05 am.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Ings to Liverpool. An okay signing, but hardly one to put fear into the top 4.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:50 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Bilic to Wet Spam and McClaren to Newcastle. The newly promoted clubs will be much happier with their chances of staying up now.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:51 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IJ157 View Post
Ings to Liverpool. An okay signing, but hardly one to put fear into the top 4.
Are you surprised?

He'll probably be out on loan by the end of July anyway.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:04 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Are you surprised?

To be fair, he's better than Balotelli & Lambert as far as I can see, certainly as a PL striker. He was prolific with the few chances Burnley managed to create for him last season, and I think he'll be a decent signing for LFC (unfortunately).

Elsewhere, it seems as if Barca have persuaded Dani Alves to sign on for another season (the fact their new RB cannot play for them until January due to their ongoing transfer embargo undoubtedly has EVERYTHING to do with it...) so our search for a new RB may yet lead us to Saints (Clyne) or Everton (Coleman). Apparently Trippier (Burnley) has already agreed to sign for Liverpool, and will be announced shortly.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:05 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
To be fair, he's better than Balotelli & Lambert as far as I can see, certainly as a PL striker. He was prolific with the few chances Burnley managed to create for him last season, and I think he'll be a decent signing for LFC (unfortunately).
We do need a striker that can score goals, that's for sure.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:06 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Elsewhere, it seems as if Barca have persuaded Dani Alves to sign on for another season (the fact their new RB cannot play for them until January due to their ongoing transfer embargo undoubtedly has EVERYTHING to do with it...) so our search for a new RB may yet lead us to Saints (Clyne) or Everton (Coleman). Apparently Trippier (Burnley) has already agreed to sign for Liverpool, and will be announced shortly.
Ings was a star when he was at AFCB, I would have been well impressed if Spurs had manage to sign him.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:07 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

You could have had Glen Johnson on a free...

P.S. keep your filthy Manc hands off Coleman, Hibbert is available though.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:07 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Ings was a star when he was at AFCB, I would have been well impressed if Spurs had manage to sign him.
'Fraid not, sweetie....it seems as if your stuck with Adebayor for yet another season...
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:09 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
You could have had Glen Johnson on a free...

P.S. keep your filthy Manc hands off Coleman, Hibbert is available though.
I'd rather stick pins in my eyes....

Coleman has (much like Everton) had a fairly average season, and I wouldn't be busting the Goodison door down to sign him, quite honestly. I'd rather go for Clyne (younger, fantastic potential) myself, though I'm sure Koeman doesn't want to lose him.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:29 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Hilariously, you (well, the Spuds) tried. Bid £10m too. That means Liverpool can't have him on a "free" as many of their (this is our year) deluded fans seem to think. As he is only 22, Liverpool will have to pay market related "compensation", and given Spurs bid so much, that's the minimum they'll be forced to cough up.

I know United are about to splash £200m all over the bus stop, but I'm pretty sure everyone we buy will be a better investment than Ings.

Don't Bournemouth get a cut of any fee? I hope so.

I see Alves used United to get himself a pay rise at Barca. And Hernandez is confused about which is the "best club in the world". Footballers, gotta love 'em.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:54 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Hilariously, you (well, the Spuds) tried. Bid £10m too. That means Liverpool can't have him on a "free" as many of their (this is our year) deluded fans seem to think. As he is only 22, Liverpool will have to pay market related "compensation", and given Spurs bid so much, that's the minimum they'll be forced to cough up.

I know United are about to splash £200m all over the bus stop, but I'm pretty sure everyone we buy will be a better investment than Ings.

Don't Bournemouth get a cut of any fee? I hope so.

I see Alves used United to get himself a pay rise at Barca. And Hernandez is confused about which is the "best club in the world". Footballers, gotta love 'em.
Ooh yes, I expect Bournemouth will get a cut of the fee, they're also getting 120m for being promoted, so I will be expecting a better class of cappuccino at half time next season....if I ever manage to get a bloody ticket that is
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Are you surprised?

Not at all. He'll either be out on loan, or he will score three premier league goals next season. Which is actually better than most of the strikers for Liverpool did this season!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.