Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:57 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post

Liverpool don't have the same budget as United because they don't have as many fans in Kuala Lumpar and Montego Bay buying their Chevrolet branded football tops or AON sponsored training kit. Liverpool also have no Sheikh Mansoor.
You call me 'short sighted' and then come out with utter shite like what's highlighted...

If you truly believe that United actually sell any reasonable number of shirts (and by that I mean 'official' Nike product, not the rip-offs manufactured in sweat shops in the self-same Kuala Lumpur, the proceeds from which most certainly don't end up in United's coffers...), then the United marketing department are doing a better job than I'd credit them with, since they are clearly fooling some people in the UK into believing we actually sell shirts globally...

The only market that truly matters is still Europe; the US/Canada is growing, but the whole notion that there is a viable market for football merchandise in the Far East (or the West Indies!!) is a nonsense- the only country out there in which people can afford to splash the equivalent of 70 quid on a football shirt is Japan.

The most accurate comparison for Brendan Rodgers right now is, ironically, LvG. They both have spent a lot of money on new players, and both are finding it difficult to integrate some of the new players into the side- the difference is that LvG has been hampered by an appalling injury crisis at the back, such that he has been unable to field the same defence in consecutive games since he took over, whereas BR has seen players unable to cope in their new surroundings as he would have liked (Lovren & Balotelli the prime examples), and the injury to Sturridge (and loss of Suarez) has 'unpapered the cracks' that were there in his defence last season, since they no longer have their goals to rely upon...

Both will probably improve as the season progresses, but neither can hope for anything better than a place in the top 4 and CL football next year; the title is going to Stamford Bridge, and (despite the Saints' great start) runners-up spot will be citeh's.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
You call me 'short sighted' and then come out with utter shite like what's highlighted...

If you truly believe that United actually sell any reasonable number of shirts (and by that I mean 'official' Nike product, not the rip-offs manufactured in sweat shops in the self-same Kuala Lumpur, the proceeds from which most certainly don't end up in United's coffers...), then the United marketing department are doing a better job than I'd credit them with, since they are clearly fooling some people in the UK into believing we actually sell shirts globally...

The only market that truly matters is still Europe; the US/Canada is growing, but the whole notion that there is a viable market for football merchandise in the Far East (or the West Indies!!) is a nonsense- the only country out there in which people can afford to splash the equivalent of 70 quid on a football shirt is Japan.
The money from the merchandise goes directly to the manufacturers. The manufacturers and sponsors pay their money to the club for that privilege.

Manchester United's large deals are based on their global appeal. I believe they are listed on a stock exchange in Hong Kong.

The New York Yankees are similar. People will purchase their merchandise and know nothing about baseball. I used to see tonnes of Yankees caps in the UK.

Unfortunately the Manchester United brand has that stigma. A fashion accessory for people who want to associate with a sport but don't know much about it.

That's not something I level at anyone on this British Expat's forum but a matter of fact.

Manchester United are a credit to sports marketing. They managed to raise the bar of global branding during the era when Sky and the Premier league realised the value of live sport to advertisers and Pay Per View.

The short sighted comment was harsh. I apologise!

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 11th 2014 at 9:20 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Balotelli could still work out, once Sturridge is back we'll see how he plays with him. Lambert was never going to be good enough and seemed to be a case of buy him just for the sake of it.

I can't honestly blame the strikers for being lazy/demotivated though as our defence is shocking so it doesn't really matter how many goals they score, we'll still conceed more.

I've said it for years but I honestly believe we'd be better off playing Football Manager and signing the good players off there than we are sending our scouts out, the people that make that game know their stuff much better than the people that sign the shite we end up with apparently.
Lambert is a good professional. I always felt that he'd signed him as a 3rd or 4th striker. Somebody to fill in for League Cup games or perhaps come on late in games and pose a bit of an aerial threat.

I think Lambert is the least questionable signing.

The game has become disturbing in that it seems 15 to 20 million doesn't necessarily buy you all that much quality these days.

And yes I do have a full time job but the banks in Canada are closed today and that is 80 percent of my client base :-)

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 11th 2014 at 9:33 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:36 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

The money from the merchandise goes directly to the manufacturers. The manufacturers and sponsors pay their money to the club for that privilege.

Manchester United's large deals are based on their global appeal. I believe they are listed on a stock exchange in Hong Kong.

The New York Yankees are similar. People will purchase their merchandise and know nothing about baseball. I used to see tonnes of Yankees caps in the UK.

Unfortunately the Manchester United brand has that stigma. A fashion accessory for people who want to associate with a sport but don't know much about it.

That's not something I level at anyone on this British Expat's forum but a matter of fact.

Manchester United are a credit to sports marketing. They managed to raise the bar of global branding during the era when Sky and the Premier league realised the value of live sport to advertisers and Pay Per View.
Are you a politician? That's the best 'spin' I've seen since Tony Blair was in No. 10....

Let's take the highlighted bit: the money FROM the merchandise....; you live in Thailand, you earn diddy-squat per day, and you can buy your kids a decent quality knock-off from the corner market for 4 grunts, or you can order the official shirt online for each of them for 400 grunts...is it a choice??

So, in reality, the manufacturers (in this case, Nike) are getting the VAST, VAST majority of their money from the established 'rich' (yeah, right) Western markets (UK, mainland Europe, US, Canada, Australia), not the Far East.

Yes, Nike pay United money to make the kit, but I would argue that they don't make it back in sales in the Far East; they make it back because (like it or not) United are by far the biggest club in the UK, with the most media exposure. That's why all our 'partners' (puke... ) want to be associated with us, because we are the club most people want to know about or see (hated, adored, never ignored..y'know....)

Also, your contention that United are like the NY Yankees as a 'fashion accessory' really doesn't stand up to scrutiny- I have NEVER (and I do mean NEVER) met anyone wearing any 'official' (since that's what we're discussing...) United gear who wasn't a United supporter, rather wearing it as a fashion item, not even here in the U.S.!!

Being listed on a stock exchange means absolutely 'zero' to ordinary people on the street, and as far as I can see adds precisely nothing to the Club's exposure in the media either, bar occasions when we have to do something drastic like sack a manager, in which case it's negative exposure, not positive.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:39 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Hey, hey hey let's not be rude to the newbie, we don't want to frighten off a poster who can only serve to enrich and improve the eclectic mix of supporters on this thread

The short sighted comment was harsh. I apologise!
Don't apologise, it wasn't harsh, he's a Man U fan, 'short sighted' is bordering on complimentary compared to the phrases I would use.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:01 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Hey, hey hey let's not be rude to the newbie, we don't want to frighten off a poster who can only serve to enrich and improve the eclectic mix of supporters on this thread

Don't apologise, it wasn't harsh, he's a Man U fan, 'short sighted' is bordering on complimentary compared to the phrases I would use.
Absolutely, well said. Anyhow, eyesight issues are just an everyday hazard for Man U fans.

Look out for our impression of Christmas decorations in the new year
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:00 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Absolutely, well said. Anyhow, eyesight issues are just an everyday hazard for Man U fans.

Look out for our impression of Christmas decorations in the new year
The perils of posting when drunk.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:11 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
The perils of posting when drunk.
more likely to post when drunk, being an alcaholic n all
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

graymel is an unknown quantity at this point

First post, who do you guys think will get relegated from the Premier league ?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:15 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graymel View Post
Liverpool, Burnley and QPR.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:16 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever you support.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:25 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

City, Burnley and QPR.......
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
City, Burnley and QPR.......
Ever the optimist. Tell me - if every other PL club had a 50 points penalty, would you still not think City would win the league?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:43 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Palace, Burnley, QPR. Not necessarily in that order.

More of a concern for me is that this season, Liverpool may finish outside the top 8 for the first time in 50 years. Not exactly what one would expect from last season's title contenders who finished second in the league and just spent 150 odd million on new players

Sturridge can't get back from injury quick enough. **** the Champion's League, I couldn't give a shit about getting knocked out early. Getting back in the top half of the Premiership and nabbing a domestic cup is where the focus should be.

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Nov 12th 2014 at 1:52 pm. Reason: Jesus christ. Thanks, ed ...
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I couldn't give a shit about getting knocked up early.

You Scousers really are a weird bunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.