Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:32 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Well it's afternoon here, so I've had time to warm up. Anyway Scholsey and his 'mis-timed' tackles are no joking matter
He probably made 10 bad ones in his career. So that's one for every league title, and 5 for every European Cups he won.

Not too bad.

Last edited by ededed; Feb 23rd 2015 at 8:37 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
He probably made 10 bad ones in his career. So that's one for every league title, and 5 for every European Cups he won.

Not too bad.
Plus all those trophies for England.

Oh wait.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:37 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Plus all those trophies for England.

Oh wait.
Him and Gascoigne, Mabbutt, ummm....Lennon. Clutching at straws here.

United > England. I can't remember the last England game I went to. Oh hang on, it was in Bloemfontein. That went well.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 2:13 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Him and Gascoigne, Mabbutt, ummm....Lennon. Clutching at straws here.

United > England. I can't remember the last England game I went to. Oh hang on, it was in Bloemfontein. That went well.
Scholesy was terrible for England.

Roy Keane made much worse tackles as well.

Anyway hopefully Mourinho's tactics back fire and the ref gives Chelsea a torrid time on Sunday as well as the mighty Spurs.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:02 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair those two tackles by Barnes on Ivanovic and Matic were both straight reds. And the ref was staring at both. The Matic one was ****ing evil.

The problem in that game was that Mourinho has been whining like a dick for weeks. But in that game every single damn thing wasn't given - and they were so clear cut.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:46 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Have pity, Mike....we have enough donkeys (as you've kindly pointed out... ) without adding Mangala to the list...looks like citeh were robbed on that one...

Anyway, a few scouse I know are wettin' themselves already ahead of next Sunday's game at Anfield...they honestly believe citeh won't be able to cope with Sturridge, Sterling & Ibe...I'd be far more concerned with how BR thinks he can stop Silva, Toure, Aguero & Bony/Dzeko if I were them...
Yeah we seem to be becoming depressingly like Utd, i.e. buying the best players but also paying 30M for complete dogs, Mangala was actually superb in his first match and had Costa in his pocket but he has been completely Phil Jones since then.

If Chelski would kindly sell us Ivanovic and Matic I'd be happier about our ability to defend - I plan on hiding behind the sofa tonight when Neymar, Suarez and Messi go at our defence........
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:49 pm

Scholesy was terrible for England.

Roy Keane made much worse tackles as well.
Yup, and every fan of every team in the Premiership would give their left nut to have just one of them in midfield over the past 15 years. The fact we won what we won is largely due to them (and Eric, Fergie, Beckham, Solskjaer, etc). But they'd be in my top 5 midfielders since the PL began.

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick View Post
To be fair those two tackles by Barnes on Ivanovic and Matic were both straight reds. And the ref was staring at both. The Matic one was ****ing evil.

The problem in that game was that Mourinho has been whining like a dick for weeks. But in that game every single damn thing wasn't given - and they were so clear cut.
Normally he's just a whiny twat, but the chickens came home to roost for Jose. That's the problem with crying wolf the whole time, eventually it's going to kick you in the balls. They got some shockers this weekend, but no-one cares because of the way he carries on. It'd be like Liverpool getting a dodgy penalty against them in the 85th minute (or not being given one in front of the kop). It's just not gonna happen.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:22 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Yeah we seem to be becoming depressingly like Utd, i.e. buying the best players but also paying 30M for complete dogs, Mangala was actually superb in his first match and had Costa in his pocket but he has been completely Phil Jones since then.

If Chelski would kindly sell us Ivanovic and Matic I'd be happier about our ability to defend - I plan on hiding behind the sofa tonight when Neymar, Suarez and Messi go at our defence........
Eh? Since when have United ever 'bought the best players'...?!!

It's perhaps because we DIDN'T go out and pay 'top dollar' for the likes of Zidane, Lahm & Schweinsteiger (when we were definitely sniffing around them in their earlier careers) down the years, that we are now suffering 'payback' for a lack of investment in the overall squad, having to play onions like Evans and Smalling, hoping that young lads like Januzaj and Wilson can make an impact, rather than having adequate resources to 'blood' them without placing the enormous pressure to succeed instantly on their young shoulders....

The only occasions I can remember United paying the odds for a top player in his prime prior to LvG's arrival was for Rio Ferdinand (a huge success) and Juan Veron, and though Veron was a classy player, and did better for us than a lot of people care to remember, he was hardly an unqualified success, eventually leaving for Chelsea, where he didn't quite fit in either...

citeh, unlike us, can afford a few 'Mangalas'...for every few Mangalas there is a Silva, if you buy enough players.

As for tonight, I think citeh are as well positioned to make life difficult for Barca as they've ever been, and if the players believe in their own ability, there's no reason why citeh can't get a positive result to take to Camp Nou. They need to get Silva on the ball as much as possible, and allow Bony to bully the Barca centre-halves...the ref will have a big influence, and you'd hope he is 'sympathetic' to a more robust game, not a typical whistle/card-happy European type...
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:48 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Eh? Since when have United ever 'bought the best players'...?!! (
My fault for not being clear mate, I was thinking of the best players available and expressed it poorly:

Ferdinand and...: let's say Cantona, Keane, Schmeical, Van Di Saar, Van Nistleroy, Roo-knee, Mata, RVP, De Gea, Berbaflop, Carrick, Evra, Vidic, Stam, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, OGS,etc etc. Saha, Veron et al turned out to be dogs (or Scot Sinclairs as we City fans now refer to them) but they were bought because they were the best around at the time.

IMHO Utd blended a good youth scheme with significant investment in buy-to-develop players (17 Million for Phil Jones for example) and with buying the best players around in order to dominate British football for 2 decades. And well done them - we were all jealous!

Before LvG Utd's transfer spending (about 147 million and growing):

2014 145 Million cf City 87 million
2013 68 Million cf City 103 million
2012 63 Million cf City 54 million

Not small sums eh? Oh and by the way 53 million in 03 (cf City £2.97 and a kit kat) was a lot of money in those days. You think they were trying to buy the best players or not? Admitedlly 12 million of that was spent on a buy to develop player who turned out quite useful, I think he was called Christiano something.....

What City are doing now is following the Utd model in most respects. Initally, and particularly under Bobby Manc, we just went out and bought bought bought; however, the youth set-up and buy-to-devlop signings are also an integral part of the City strategy now.......

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 24th 2015 at 4:07 pm. Reason: City figures added for comparison
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:14 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

What City are doing now is following the Utd model in most respects. Initally, and particularly under Bobby Manc, we just went out and bought bought bought; however, the youth set-up and buy-to-devlop signings are also an integral part of the City strategy now.......
I miss Bobby Manc, he'd definitely have bought Aiden McGeady from us for 30M by now...
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Yup, and every fan of every team in the Premiership would give their left nut to have just one of them in midfield over the past 15 years. The fact we won what we won is largely due to them (and Eric, Fergie, Beckham, Solskjaer, etc). But they'd be in my top 5 midfielders since the PL began.
You do seem to have a real chip on your shoulder when someone makes any vague comment in direction of Manchester United.

I think Premier League fans would have given their left nut for Xavi and Iniesta over Scholes and Keane 100 times out of 100.

Keane and Gary Neville would make most all time Premiership teams.

Scholes contribution is over hyped by Manchester United fans. Roy Keane himself all but came out and said so when he said the class of 92's contribution was over rated.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:23 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

50% right - Keane for sure; however,.......

Go on then James give us your best ever Premiership 11????
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:27 pm

You do seem to have a real chip on your shoulder when someone makes any vague comment in direction of Manchester United.

I think most Premier League fans would have given their left nut for Xavi and Iniesta over Scholes and Keane 100 times out of 100.

Scholes contribution is over hyped by Manchester United fans. Roy Keane himself all but came out and said so when he said the class of 92's contribution was over rated.
Nope, it's all good. I just hate any talk of England or United's players involvement with them. Since the England fans hung that effigy of Beckham and kept slagging off Neville, I've always felt they can go **** themselves. Saying a United player should or shouldn't play for England is facile to me. My comparison was to suggest that your lot haven't really contributed to the national cause either. I hope Kane gets picked for England. Only because it will tire him out and make him shit for Spurs. That's what usually happens when players go on international duty.

As for Iniesta and Xavi, of course. But then so would any fans have Messi and Ronaldo too - but the reality is they'd rather play in Spain than England. I don't blame them. At least we had Ronaldo for 6 years. He has been our only true world-class player since Cantona, and the best player ever to play in the PL. And he played for us.

Keane was a great player, but he's turned batshit crazy. He doesn't rate anyone, (except maybe Eric) despite United winning a treble and a pile of trophies during his time there. Even Fergie gets a kicking at the end - his job seems to be putting the boot into the club that made him a millionaire. His record since he left is hardly worthy of praise, is it?

I think most people would suggest Scholes was an amazing player. Personally, I wouldn't have him in my top 10 of United players in the EPL, so I agree it's sometimes overhyped - but he did score some amazing goals.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:29 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Normally he's just a whiny twat, but the chickens came home to roost for Jose. That's the problem with crying wolf the whole time, eventually it's going to kick you in the balls. They got some shockers this weekend, but no-one cares because of the way he carries on. It'd be like Liverpool getting a dodgy penalty against them in the 85th minute (or not being given one in front of the kop). It's just not gonna happen.
Totally agree Ed, Chelsea have got away with a bunch of stuff this season, and Jose has still bitched about it. So for them to get a few (admittedly terrible) decisions go against them means I just don't care. Unless they balls it up from here, they're still going to win the League, so it doesn't really matter anyway.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:31 pm

50% right - Keane for sure; however,.......

Go on then James give us your best ever Premiership 11????
Klinsmann
King
Kane
Lennon

Errrrr

Gascoigne before he lost his marbles
Archibald
Fenwick
Modric

Come on Google, hurry up....bloody Internet connection....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.