Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:10 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Ah, no, apparently (according to many of their fans) AFC Wimbledon are now 'Wimbledon' as was (and 'won' the FA Cup in 1988...which makes them the first club ever to win a trophy whilst not even in existence...), whereas MK Dons have been disenfranchised from the FA Cup win of 1988 and don't have a major trophy win in their 'history'.....?!? The mind boggles.

Either way, it mattered little last evening, as very few of the lads on the park were even born when that all happened... which, in turn, makes me feel ancient...
I was two months old.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:57 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I was two months old.
In many ways, you still are.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:54 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

From BBC Sport:

"Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has accepted an offer to join Manchester United.

"There has been no official announcement from the club, but it is thought Valdes has agreed an 18-month contract."

If this is the precursor to David de Gea being sold in the summer, I'm going to be VERY, VERY unhappy....

On the other hand, if Valdes is content to be our No. 2 keeper, happy days...way better than Lindegaard, and better than a lot of clubs' first choice keepers, too.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:02 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mike, any chance you can get Mankini back in for the game this weekend? We could really do with the three points. TIA.

Still a glorious draw against the mighty West Ham was an improvement over the last few weeks. Hopefully it can be the start of our traditional post Christmas surge.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:17 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Hey Mike, any chance you can get Mankini back in for the game this weekend? We could really do with the three points. TIA.

Still a glorious draw against the mighty West Ham was an improvement over the last few weeks. Hopefully it can be the start of our traditional post Christmas surge.
Your traditional post-Christmas surge was with a David Moyes team....RM's teams (Wigan Athletic) were more prone to a post-Christmas plunge...

I have a few Everton mates who are very concerned that the Toffees could get sucked into a relegation battle if things don't shape up a bit soon, and RM has lost a lot of the 'brownie points' he collected last season with them due to a perceived lack of any idea on how to set the team up to be defensively sound.

The seeming over-reliance on young Stones (whose absence, when injured, is a big miss) and an aging Gareth Barry doesn't help alleviate the worry.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I think we will keep the charming one if it's all the same to you
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:42 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Your traditional post-Christmas surge was with a David Moyes team....RM's teams (Wigan Athletic) were more prone to a post-Christmas plunge...

I have a few Everton mates who are very concerned that the Toffees could get sucked into a relegation battle if things don't shape up a bit soon, and RM has lost a lot of the 'brownie points' he collected last season with them due to a perceived lack of any idea on how to set the team up to be defensively sound.

The seeming over-reliance on young Stones (whose absence, when injured, is a big miss) and an aging Gareth Barry doesn't help alleviate the worry.
I read an interesting article yesterday about about how there have been a lot more injuries since Martinez took over (especially hamstrings) and that pretty much all the fitness people from the Moyes era have now left the club. Given that Martinez is actually qualified as a physio it makes you wonder how much influence he has over the fitness side now, possibly to the team's detriment.

But I think the biggest criticism is Martinez's stubborn refusal to change things when the tiki taka pass it out from the back isn't work. Winning ugly is sometimes necessary. There were some signs of change last night against WHam, which was good, and the players actually looked more committed than they have for the last month. So maybe things are starting to change.

I don't expect to get anything from the game against Citeh, so will be looking at the game against West Brom (newly invigorated under Pulis) as more of an indication of any sort of change.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:45 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect to get anything from the game against Citeh,
A draw if I was a betting man
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:42 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

I read an interesting article yesterday about about how there have been a lot more injuries since Martinez took over (especially hamstrings) and that pretty much all the fitness people from the Moyes era have now left the club. Given that Martinez is actually qualified as a physio it makes you wonder how much influence he has over the fitness side now, possibly to the team's detriment.

But I think the biggest criticism is Martinez's stubborn refusal to change things when the tiki taka pass it out from the back isn't work. Winning ugly is sometimes necessary. There were some signs of change last night against WHam, which was good, and the players actually looked more committed than they have for the last month. So maybe things are starting to change.

I don't expect to get anything from the game against Citeh, so will be looking at the game against West Brom (newly invigorated under Pulis) as more of an indication of any sort of change.
Interesting read, zargof, and quite ironic in that it seems to vindicate Moyes' approach to fitness training, which was criticised by many (including some players) during his short time at United... perhaps David wasn't as 'bad' as some led us to believe, and I certainly would be delighted for the man if he makes a success of his time in Spain.

As for citeh at home, current form would suggest your lot will do well to get a point, and that's as good as I can see for them, too...alas, I fancy citeh to take all the points.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:31 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
In many ways, you still are.
True.

Got a bet with a new United fan at work. 150 dizzers (£25) says Saints win or Draw.

Think I'm about to win some cash money.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:40 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
True.

Got a bet with a new United fan at work. 150 dizzers (£25) says Saints win or Draw.

Think I'm about to win some cash money.
It'll be close, but United to edge it by 4 or 5....
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:25 pm

So Ched Evans. What an awful picture of Britain today. Rape the daughter of a board member who decided to sign a rapist? You really couldn't make it up.

The odd thing is, I haven't met anyone who thinks he shouldn't be allowed to play - so I don't know who these people are who are so anti it. The problem is that those who agree he should play don't care enough to get a petition going - I bet there would be more people signing that than the one against him.

He's a vile scumbag - but mob rule seems to be running things back home. Last time I checked, threatening to rape someone was illegal, no?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:52 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't tell me Messi really could end up at Chelsea...?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:23 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

So Ched Evans. What an awful picture of Britain today. Rape the daughter of a board member who decided to sign a rapist? You really couldn't make it up.

The odd thing is, I haven't met anyone who thinks he shouldn't be allowed to play - so I don't know who these people are who are so anti it. The problem is that those who agree he should play don't care enough to get a petition going - I bet there would be more people signing that than the one against him.

He's a vile scumbag - but mob rule seems to be running things back home. Last time I checked, threatening to rape someone was illegal, no?
The lad has 'done his time', so should be allowed to resume his career. If he were a carpenter or a plumber, there would be no public 'fuss' at all, so why should there be a public outcry simply because he's a footballer?

As you say, I also haven't come across any football fans who think he should still be vilified in the manner he has been through a public 'witch-hunt' to prevent any club from signing him- he has *apparently* (still seems to be a fair chance that he could successfully appeal against his previous 'guilty' verdict in the rape trial) committed an appalling crime, but as with other crimes, you pay your debt to society through time served behind bars, and then you get on with life- he is not being allowed to do so.

He's not someone I could ever hold up to my kids as some sort of role model for life, but then again people who place professional footballers in such a lofty position are asking for trouble anyway- they are simply young men who happen to be good at kicking a leather bag of air around, nothing more, nothing less. If I want to point my kids to a role model, I'll choose (and have chosen, though I guess that's a discussion for a different thread.. ) Jesus, the Christ, thanks.

Ched Evans may be an unsavoury character, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out and hounded like he has been, and he most certainly should be given the chance to try to get his career resurrected.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:34 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

As per the whole thing is being stoked up by the media in this country - lurid headlines and various D list 'celebs' being paraded around on breakfast telly espousing their disgust etc etc. And I would say the threat to rape and the email sent to the board director at Oldham would be illegal, I imagine it is under investigation.

What Evans did was abhorrent but my guess is that it is a far from isolated case. I would like to know just how many other footballers have taken a drunk girl too incapacitated to know what she is doing, back to their hotel room and done the business and got away with it. In any event he's served his time and like any offender that has served his time he should be able to work again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.