British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

DaveLovesDee Aug 9th 2017 12:51 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12312887)
how did it go Yellow?

Aston Villa (with EBJT) 1-1 Hull City

yellowroom Aug 9th 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12312887)
how did it go Yellow?

As far as our match - happy with a point, away to Villa has to be one of the harder fixtures this season, so good to get it over and done with. Bruce appears to be playing the way he did when he was with us, v familiar tactics and Villa fans not happy. Terry fairly anonymous. We were abominable first half, looked like the team only just met, which to be fair is not that far from the truth. Slutsky obviously has an effective half-time hairdryer and we were much better second 45 mins. Goal from one of our academy players - first professional league goal, on his mum's birthday and against the team his dad supports. He elbowed a steward out of the way to celebrate with his family and forever endeared himself to the fans for doing so. Doesn't take much to get legend status at Hull City these days.

Derby v Sun'lun was 1-1 too, neither team set the pitch on fire and both looked beatable. I can't tell you much about the rest of the league as our match was live on Sky, so I didn't have to expose myself to the abominable C5 coverage.

Burton Albion at home on Saturday, we've dropped a long way from the last home match but hopefully we can put the memory of that to bed.

To change the subject, I think we have a winner for photo of the season already, with everyone's favourite Foul-o-matic:

Garbatellamike Aug 9th 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12312939)

Nice to someone who elbows people in the face pretty much every game getting a legal smack in the face

ededed Aug 9th 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12312885)
Was October 2011 in Stretford one of the games? :sneaky:

Man Utd 1 - 6 Man City - Match Report & Highlights

Probably. I think ours was Spurs, you know, when we did the treble in '99. Or Burnley last season, 39 shots on goal. What a time to be alive.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12312962)
Nice to someone who elbows people in the face pretty much every game getting a legal smack in the face

He was ace when he came on. Jose likes him, he does a job for us - and that's good enough for me. He'll win the ballon d'or this season. Immense talent, immense player. You're just jealous.

zargof Aug 9th 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12312771)
Look at all you premier league jessies getting your knickers wet about the start of the season. Out in the real world the season started last weekend.

Pfft... slackers... Our season started before that.

zargof Aug 9th 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12312569)
Not much to worry about - you were outclassed and nearly got a draw so very resilient. Lots of strengths for you: Valencia, Smalling, DeGea in particular, however, Pogba was dreadful and I only realized Lingard was playing when the announced he'd been subbed - Rashford did well in 2nd half and Matic looked good.

I can see why Real want De Gea, Navas looks a bit dodgy.

PetrifiedExPat Aug 9th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12312771)
Look at all you premier league jessies getting your knickers wet about the start of the season. Out in the real world the season started last weekend.

:goodpost:

And.. 2 games in a row Millwall passed the ball along the floor at least 5 times per game, must be a record....

Garbatellamike Aug 9th 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12313017)
I can see why Real want De Gea, Navas looks a bit dodgy.

Yep could have been a school boy error playing that well against Real - bid to follow maybe?

IJ157 Aug 11th 2017 3:02 pm

Well, to the surprise of no one, Coutinho has handed in a transfer request:

Philippe Coutinho: Liverpool midfielder submits transfer request - BBC Sport

I have Liverpool finishing just outside the top 4 this season. But if Coutinho leaves, that will be a huge blow. :cool:

Cainess Aug 11th 2017 3:05 pm

So, wee Phil doesn't like living beside the Mersey anymore...that should really put a stick in Klopp's spokes this year.... with Spurs players now openly voicing displeasure, all of a sudden there may be an elderly Frenchman in North London with a smug grin breaking across his thin lips.... top 4 for the Arse suddenly looks more than achievable...

IJ157 Aug 11th 2017 3:34 pm

Looks like the BBC are split between Man City and Man Utd for the title. With most edging Man City, which is understandable. I of course hope they and Pep fails miserably. Already hated the team, and can't stand the guy.

Premier League 2017-18: BBC Sport pundits pick their champions - BBC Sport

Phil McNulty also did his premier league predictions. Pretty laughable stuff from the 'chief writer of football'. The worst part was when talking about Brighton, he said they were champions of the championship last season, when in fact, they finished second. He reminds me of the kind of guy who probably never played the sport when he was a child. And his only exposure is watching highlights on MOTD. You know when Mark Lawrenson is one of your best pundits, you're in trouble!

IJ157 Aug 11th 2017 3:47 pm

I also find it amusing that we didn't score much last year, but because we signed Lukaku, we're going to be okay. Well, we did also lose our top scorer from last year! I just hope that Matic (another overpriced signing) provides the protection to the back 4, and allows Pogba to run riot. Last season, the most impressive part of Pogba was his hair styles. He has to be a lot better in order to come close to justifying his price tag.

Cainess Aug 11th 2017 4:01 pm

You can't blame pundits for tipping citeh...after the money they've spent on full-backs and a defensive midfielder, it isn't hard to see that Pep is well aware of where their problems lay last season... it remains to be seen if the young keeper is any better than Clownio, but only a mug would bet against citeh being the team to beat this year... the pundits at the Independent backed citeh almost in totality (just one backed United, none backed anyone else)!!

It also remains to be seen just how much the Dippers will miss Coutinho if he forces a move to Barca- he's a great player, but how much will their system depend on him?

IJ157 Aug 11th 2017 4:05 pm

"Garth Crooks: Mourinho's summer purchases have been nothing short of phenomenal. To take Lukaku from under the noses of Chelsea was the snatch of the century but then to lure Matic from the champions was just unbelievable business."

Snatch of the century! Hyperbole much!

And Matic was shit hot when Chelsea won the league under Mourinho a couple of seasons ago. He's been on a downward trend since. A little skeptical, but hopefully Mourinho brings out the best in him. I have United flattering to deceive, and finishing 5th. They also won't win the Europa League when they inevitable go into that competition after being knocked out of the Champions League. FA Cup is probably going to be the highlight. The only thing that makes me feel better is that with Coutinho leaving, Liverpool will probably struggle to stay in the top 6. Or, if United actually sign Bale!

IJ157 Aug 11th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12314532)
You can't blame pundits for tipping citeh...after the money they've spent on full-backs and a defensive midfielder, it isn't hard to see that Pep is well aware of where their problems lay last season... it remains to be seen if the young keeper is any better than Clownio, but only a mug would bet against citeh being the team to beat this year... the pundits at the Independent backed citeh almost in totality (just one backed United, none backed anyone else)!!

It also remains to be seen just how much the Dippers will miss Coutinho if he forces a move to Barca- he's a great player, but how much will their system depend on him?

Not at all. I would say they are the favourites, and will probably win it. Unfortunately.