British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

JamesM Jul 6th 2017 11:53 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12288110)
I'm not sure how Lukaku is worth around 1.5x Lacazette's cost, but then players at English clubs always seem to be over-valued.

Lakaku is proven in the Premier League several times over.

He is the best available striker at the moment.

Lacazette has had one good season and plays in a league where the standard of defending overall is weaker than the Premier League.

Arsenal had to pay an inflated fee to inflate the interest in the deal so the fans don't riot when Sanchez leaves.

Scamp Jul 6th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12288161)
Lakaku is proven in the Premier League several times over.

He is as the best available striker at the moment.

Lacazette has had one good season and plays in a league where the standard of defending overall is weaker than the Premier League.

Arsenal had to pay an inflated fee to inflate the interest in the deal so the fans don't riot when Sanchez leaves.

I wonder how many goals Lukaku has scored against good sides, say the top 6. I have the feeling his disappears in those games. Happy to be wrong because I like him but is he Everton good or Man United good?

Is he just a slightly better than Cleverly but not quite good enough type?

yellowroom Jul 6th 2017 12:14 pm

Hello from the Championship, where our messy pre-season last summer is haunting us and we are fearing a repeat of starting the season with barely a senior squad. So far we are the only club in our league who haven't signed anyone yet, and training has started already. Fans are starting to get twitchy about whether the club has serious intentions about getting back up.

We've lost Maguire to Leicester (guaranteed his England call-up now), and Davies to Derby (always bad losing people to your league rivals). Plus all Silva's loanees have gone home. Rumours of Robertson to Liverpool. We're currently begging some crumbs from Chelsea's table thanks to Slusky's links to Abramovich, but apart from that prospects of signees are scarce at the moment.

A glimmer of good news that you may be interested in - Ryan Mason is back training with the squad, which is great to see for everyone.

JamesM Jul 6th 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12288162)
I wonder how many goals Lukaku has scored against good sides, say the top 6. I have the feeling his disappears in those games. Happy to be wrong because I like him but is he Everton good or Man United good?

I don't know the statistics there. But assuming he signs for one of the "Top 6" there would be 13 other teams he is banging the goals in against which over the course of the season is a whopping 78 points.

Chelsea weren't great against the other top 6 teams last year but steam rollered outside of it. United drew a lot of games against those types of clubs last year.

I think he is a better punt for United than Morata or Griezmann because he has consistently done it in the Premier League.

I can't imagine they want to outlay the same cash on a striker who needs time to settle in.

I hope the deal happens because it puts Chelsea in a hole with few options to replace Costa thus strengthening all the clubs around them.

zargof Jul 6th 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12288259)
I don't know the statistics there. But assuming he signs for one of the "Top 6" there would be 13 other teams he is banging the goals in against which over the course of the season is a whopping 78 points.

Chelsea weren't great against the other top 6 teams last year but steam rollered outside of it. United drew a lot of games against those types of clubs last year.

I think he is a better punt for United than Morata or Griezmann because he has consistently done it in the Premier League.

I can't imagine they want to outlay the same cash on a striker who needs time to settle in.

I hope the deal happens because it puts Chelsea in a hole with few options to replace Costa thus strengthening all the clubs around them.

OK, so lots to talk about here. It's true that against the top teams Lukaku doesn't perform as well. You can argue that it's because Everton as a team don't perform. But the best players are those that can drag a team to a win by themselves. Lukaku isn't there. If he's not getting the service then he just get frustrated. It's different to someone like Costa or Kane who when they aren't getting the service will work his bollocks off to try and make something happen. This is why he isn't in the very top level of strikers. Maybe Jose can change that, I don't know.

That's the criticism out of the way. Lukaku is still a very good player who would get 20+ goals at pretty much any team in the league, so with Zlatan leaving I can definitely understand why Man Utd want him. Also, he doesn't tend to get injured much, so he'll be available for plenty of games.

Apparently Everton were looking for 100M for Lukaku, which seems a bit much, but Pogshit went for 90M, so who knows. Maybe it will be something like 80 odd million and Rooney's wages for a year.

Oh and don't get too excited about the Chavs. Conte never wanted Lukaku, it was the club that did. I think they are after Morata.

IJ157 Jul 6th 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12288061)
Wow - 75 mil for Lukaku - Everton definitely having the best window so far.

Meh. Never been the biggest fan. Grossly overpaid if he costs that much. Hope he goes to Chelsea instead.

pommybird Jul 6th 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12288295)
OK, so lots to talk about here. It's true that against the top teams Lukaku doesn't perform as well. You can argue that it's because Everton as a team don't perform. But the best players are those that can drag a team to a win by themselves. Lukaku isn't there. If he's not getting the service then he just get frustrated. It's different to someone like Costa or Kane who when they aren't getting the service will work his bollocks off to try and make something happen. This is why he isn't in the very top level of strikers. Maybe Jose can change that, I don't know.

That's the criticism out of the way. Lukaku is still a very good player who would get 20+ goals at pretty much any team in the league, so with Zlatan leaving I can definitely understand why Man Utd want him. Also, he doesn't tend to get injured much, so he'll be available for plenty of games.

Apparently Everton were looking for 100M for Lukaku, which seems a bit much, but Pogshit went for 90M, so who knows. Maybe it will be something like 80 odd million and Rooney's wages for a year.

Oh and don't get too excited about the Chavs. Conte never wanted Lukaku, it was the club that did. I think they are after Morata.

Think it says a lot about the development of Everton as a club over the last season or so, when the majority of fans aren't too bothered about Lukaku going.

I think maybe if it had happened last summer it would be seen as a bit of a disaster, now with some squad development and decent signings it really doesn't seem to be an issue losing him.

So Zargie, hoping to finish in a CL place this coming season (only don't cock up the play offs if you do).

zargof Jul 6th 2017 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12288414)
Think it says a lot about the development of Everton as a club over the last season or so, when the majority of fans aren't too bothered about Lukaku going.

I think maybe if it had happened last summer it would be seen as a bit of a disaster, now with some squad development and decent signings it really doesn't seem to be an issue losing him.

So Zargie, hoping to finish in a CL place this coming season (only don't cock up the play offs if you do).

Ever since Lukaku first came to Everton it's always been the case of when and not if he would leave, so no-one really got attached to him. Sure, we'll miss his goals, but I don't think anyone will really miss the person.

When it comes to a replacement, I like the fact that Koeman seems to be taking the approach or rather than trying to get another player that will get 20+ goals a season, which let's face it, there aren't that many around, and even fewer who would come to Everton. Instead Koeman is going to bring in three players that can each get around 10 goals a season. It's a similar approach to what he did at Southampton, and it worked out all right for them.

Getting a CL place is certainly the aim, but obviously it's going to be difficult as seven doesn't go in to four, so some teams are going to miss out. Let's hope it's Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd...

pommybird Jul 6th 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12288439)
Getting a CL place is certainly the aim, but obviously it's going to be difficult as seven doesn't go in to four, so some teams are going to miss out. Let's hope it's Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd...

Couldn't agree more :fingerscrossed:

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12288451)

works for me :sneaky:

ededed Jul 6th 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12288451)

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12288458)
works for me :sneaky:

What an odd target for the new season. Personally, I hope my team win something - it won't be measured against the performance of someone else.

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288463)
What an odd target for the new season. Personally, I hope my team win something - it won't be measured against the performance of someone else.

you have the wrong end of the stick old man - that's not the target.......

pommybird Jul 6th 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288463)

Awww bless you and all the other poor sods who support Man U, nothing to look forward to except another season of bore fest.

DaveLovesDee Jul 6th 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12288496)
Awww bless you and all the other poor sods who support Man U, nothing to look forward to except another season of bore fest.

What silverware did Spurs win this season?

johnwoo Jul 6th 2017 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12288662)
What silverware did Spurs win this season?

None, but unquestionably Chelsea and Spurs were the two best teams in the PL and scoring the most goals.