British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Cainess Nov 27th 2017 9:40 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12389822)
I'd swap Ashley Williams for Phil Jones right now.

Er.... nah. You're alright. :p

So, zargie, come back Big Sam, all is forgiven?? TBF he couldn't be any worse than what your lot were yesterday- some of those players should be docked their wages until they actually decide to turn up for the club- the fans were short-changed by some of them, and possibly have been for quite a while.

ededed Nov 28th 2017 7:47 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12390005)
Er.... nah. You're alright. :p

So, zargie, come back Big Sam, all is forgiven?? TBF he couldn't be any worse than what your lot were yesterday- some of those players should be docked their wages until they actually decide to turn up for the club- the fans were short-changed by some of them, and possibly have been for quite a while.

Feels like both Allardyce and Everton will have found their level if they join forces.

Watford away tonight. United are going to get humped.

Garbatellamike Nov 28th 2017 8:51 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12390169)
Feels like both Allardyce and Everton will have found their level if they join forces.

Watford away tonight. United are going to get humped.

you are starting to sound like a City fan ;)

ededed Nov 28th 2017 9:30 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12390183)
you are starting to sound like a City fan ;)

I saw United and Watford’s matches this weekend. One was significantly better than the other - and they did us last season. We seem to struggle to get up for the smaller games - our next 3 are all against Mickey Mouse teams and we lost the 3 corresponding fixtures last season too.

Garbatellamike Nov 28th 2017 9:39 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12390202)
I saw United and Watford’s matches this weekend. One was significantly better than the other - and they did us last season. We seem to struggle to get up for the smaller games - our next 3 are all against Mickey Mouse teams and we lost the 3 corresponding fixtures last season too.

You have also scored 4 goals past teams 6 or 7 times this season - I think Utd 2-0 tonight

jam25mack Nov 28th 2017 10:35 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12390169)
Feels like both Allardyce and Everton will have found their level if they join forces.

Watford away tonight. United are going to get humped.

Tomorrow night not tonight no?

Was at the Newcastle game last week and they looked pretty decent. Good to see Zlatan & Pogba back. Missed the Brighton game as I was at a wedding, although sounds like I was lucky as I heard we were dogshit.

pommybird Nov 28th 2017 10:47 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12390238)
Tomorrow night not tonight no?

Was at the Newcastle game last week and they looked pretty decent. Good to see Zlatan & Pogba back. Missed the Brighton game as I was at a wedding, although sounds like I was lucky as I heard we were dogshit.

I wish I had been at a wedding when Spurs played West Brom!

Look all the big 6 have had their off games, but what worries me most is that we are reaching similar talent levels to the likes of City, Man U and Chelsea, however if we don't capitalise on this this season, I worry that the likes of City, Man U, Chelsea will continue to throw out the big bucks in January and next summer, we won't, obviously, and the chance will be gone.

jam25mack Nov 28th 2017 11:15 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12390242)
I wish I had been at a wedding when Spurs played West Brom!

Look all the big 6 have had their off games, but what worries me most is that we are reaching similar talent levels to the likes of City, Man U and Chelsea, however if we don't capitalise on this this season, I worry that the likes of City, Man U, Chelsea will continue to throw out the big bucks in January and next summer, we won't, obviously, and the chance will be gone.

I agree about the off games bit but i'm not so sure I agree about the similar level of talent bit. City and United have pretty big squads, Chelski not so much bbut not too far behind. Can Spurs say the same? As a starting eleven then probably yes, but as a squad, possibly not. As soon as Kane is out they were lost. I'm not saying we didn't look poor without Pogba, but we got through it. I posted up at the end of last season saying Spurs were going to battle to keep their best players and I think that is still valid.

ededed Nov 28th 2017 12:16 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12390238)
Tomorrow night not tonight no?

Was at the Newcastle game last week and they looked pretty decent. Good to see Zlatan & Pogba back. Missed the Brighton game as I was at a wedding, although sounds like I was lucky as I heard we were dogshit.

Definitely tonight. 8pm UK time.

Saturday was as bad as we’ve been for 4 years, and that’s pretty bad. A lucky goal was more than we deserved.


Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12390250)
I agree about the off games bit but i'm not so sure I agree about the similar level of talent bit. City and United have pretty big squads, Chelski not so much bbut not too far behind. Can Spurs say the same? As a starting eleven then probably yes, but as a squad, possibly not. As soon as Kane is out they were lost. I'm not saying we didn't look poor without Pogba, but we got through it. I posted up at the end of last season saying Spurs were going to battle to keep their best players and I think that is still valid.

I don’t think we have a big squad. We have no real cover for Lukaku or Valencia, we don’t have a left back (Shaw is clearly a dead man walking), we have no creativity without Pogba, and Matic has held us together this season. We have Phil Jones as one of the best 3 centre backs and no number 10. Oh, and we have Rashford who’s finally stopped being lucky and Martial who’s the laziest player in the league. With the exception of Pogba, Bailly and DdG none of our first team would get into City’s starting 11. Most wouldn’t get in their 2nd 11. Lingard wouldn’t get in the ladies team.

jam25mack Nov 28th 2017 1:27 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12390271)
Definitely tonight. 8pm UK time.

Weird. My iphone calender (downloaded from United) says it was tomorrow but I checked and you're right. Did they move it?



Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12390271)
I don’t think we have a big squad. We have no real cover for Lukaku or Valencia, we don’t have a left back (Shaw is clearly a dead man walking), we have no creativity without Pogba, and Matic has held us together this season. We have Phil Jones as one of the best 3 centre backs and no number 10. Oh, and we have Rashford who’s finally stopped being lucky and Martial who’s the laziest player in the league. With the exception of Pogba, Bailly and DdG none of our first team would get into City’s starting 11. Most wouldn’t get in their 2nd 11. Lingard wouldn’t get in the ladies team.

I think the squad is getting there. It's more down to poor performances and injuries of similar players rather than anything else.

1 De Gea - solid obv
20 Sergio Romero - solid when played
40 Joel Pereira - hasn't featured (although saw him warming up at OT and his control is phenomenal)
3 Eric Bailly - solid since he's been back
17 Daley Blind - a utility man, neither here nor there
36 Matteo Darmian - awful, has to go
4 Phil Jones - scares me, would sell
2 Victor Lindelöf - poor start but seems to be picking up, needs time
5 Marcos Rojo - I like him. Him and Bailly had a decent partnership developing last season
23 Luke Shaw - on his way out, wrong attitude and too many pies, has to go
12 Chris Smalling - on borrowed time, should go
25 Antonio Valencia - legend, hope he lives forever
18 Ashley Young - decent squad player, deserves his place in the squad as it stands
21 Ander Herrera - poor performances so far based on last season, needs to pull his finger out
16 Michael Carrick - unforseen illness, times not helping him
27 Marouane Fellaini - does what he does, a Plan B
47 Angel Gomes - hasn't featured but looked decent but a little lightweight last season
14 Jesse Lingard - I think you give him a hard time, OK squad player
8 Mata - hasn't had much of an oppourtunity
31 Nemanja Matić - solid
39 Scott McTominay - decent when given the oppourtunity
22 Henrikh Mkhitaryan - started well but needs a rest
6 Paul Pogba - beast
38 Axel Tuanzebe - think he has been on once maybe
10 Zlatan Ibrahimović - the lion
9 Romelu Lukaku - needs a rest
11 Anthony Martial - sparks shown but needs a talking to
19 Marcus Rashford - sparks shown but needs to keep developing

As for cover, Valencia. Well he's a machine, no cover needed! ;) which is lucky as Darmian is rancid. I agree about the left tho, but again that's due to Jose thinking Shaw would be back and having Blind as cover or Young if he's fancying wing backs. Ref Pogba's absence, yes we looked devoid of ideas in but without Carrick being out and Herrera (when played) not being that creative / any good so far this season it's starved the forward line. Shame Pierera got loaned out to Spain. Matic has been solid. As for the CB I like Bailly and I like Rojo. Smalling and Jones are on borrowed time however.

I'm not saying we have a 'great squad' but with a few additions and some players form improving (hopefully) we should have the ability to pretty much put out two teams, or at least be able to construct a relatively decent one of in form / fit players.

Cainess Nov 28th 2017 1:44 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
I'll stick up the Watford preview in a bit, but I think we're in for a struggle in the next two weeks, and if we don't leave Vicarage Road with all 3 points tonight I'd say the league title is definitely gone already... Watford are on top form and swatted the Geordies aside with ease on Saturday; Richarlison might well be the signing of the summer (Matic aside) and he'll give Tony V a stern test this evening. Normally I'd be happy to take a point and move on, but we need all three.

Arsenal (as usual) have hit form just when we didn't need them to, and again that will be difficult...then it's citeh... :blink:

Cainess Nov 28th 2017 3:44 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Watford previewed.

I'm The Boss: Watford vs. Manchester United (Premier League, 28-11-2017)

pommybird Nov 28th 2017 4:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12390250)
I agree about the off games bit but i'm not so sure I agree about the similar level of talent bit. City and United have pretty big squads, Chelski not so much bbut not too far behind. Can Spurs say the same? As a starting eleven then probably yes, but as a squad, possibly not. As soon as Kane is out they were lost. I'm not saying we didn't look poor without Pogba, but we got through it. I posted up at the end of last season saying Spurs were going to battle to keep their best players and I think that is still valid.

Hmmm not sure, we generally pull the likes of Son, Winks and Davies off our bench, I'm guessing that your lot, City and Chelsea have better quality of choice on the subs bench so you are probably right??

Not sure we were lost without Kane, I just think him being out coincided with a rough patch for Eriksen and Dele has been a shadow of last season.

It all does point to one thing though, the utter frustration of being so close and yet so far, and we will ever win a bloody big **** off trophy or as Spurs fans will we all just die waiting?

JamesM Nov 28th 2017 5:05 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12390242)
I wish I had been at a wedding when Spurs played West Brom!

Look all the big 6 have had their off games, but what worries me most is that we are reaching similar talent levels to the likes of City, Man U and Chelsea, however if we don't capitalise on this this season, I worry that the likes of City, Man U, Chelsea will continue to throw out the big bucks in January and next summer, we won't, obviously, and the chance will be gone.

Very inconsistent this season.

I'm hoping we settle down now there is no Champions League Group of Death for a few months.

More than anything this season we've been killed in central midfield. Dembele can't play two games in a row anymore and Wanyama is a huge loss.

The Alderweireld injury not ideal either.

It's hard to cover your best players unless you really over pay talent or go with improving youngsters.

We're still on the up but we do need to get out of Wembley and back to our own stadium.

We also need to put Alli's cap back on and bench him. Hopefully now Lamela is back that may happen.

Garbatellamike Nov 28th 2017 5:15 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12390443)
Hmmm not sure, we generally pull the likes of Son, Winks and Davies off our bench, I'm guessing that your lot, City and Chelsea have better quality of choice on the subs bench so you are probably right??

I think we have more depth than ever in midfield and up top and against the Terriers we had Gundogan, B Silva, Jesus and Danilo on the bench. With Stones and Mendy out long term we are thin at the back especially if Vinnie gets injured again.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:27 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.