British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Garbatellamike Nov 6th 2017 10:45 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12375838)
To be fair though Sterling had lost the ball and went down like a sack of shit (I'd have still given it tho) and for the 3rd Silva was a blatantly offside. That said, I doubt that would have mattered in the grand scheme of things. Arsenal were their own downfall trying to play it out from the back when under pressure but at a snails pace. Just invited city onto them. Sterling...... wow, just awful not to be able to play a ball in when that position.

United.... meh. Not a bad game all in all, however, Pogba can't come back soon enough.We desperately need some creativity. Lukaku needs service as without it he's a passenger. Miki was anonymous yet again. Needs benched. De Gea kept us in contention with some world class saves. As for the Fellaini 'elbow', seriously, there was nothing in it. We're going to end up with no contact football soon enough if you think that warranted any kind of discussion. In a similar vein, why was Morata rolling round like a girl every 2 minutes? Must have been contagious tho as Hazard was doing in it all through the second half too.

Conte..... on borrowed time methinks.

The penalty was a penalty 100%

The offside was indeed offside but there was no reason to not play to the whistle = unprofessional by the Gooners CBs being statues with their arms in the air.

The better team deservedly won

My views on Sterling's antics and lack of composure are a matter of record on here.

Methinks you are being a bit hard on Hazard who was having lumps kicked out of him by your lot (probably deserved it but nonetheless it was team fouling at its best).

Miki was surprisingly rubbish and Jones was, unsurprisingly, back at donkey level.

Filthlani looked at him and then deliberately elbowed him - should have been a red

Scamp Nov 6th 2017 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12375875)
The penalty was a penalty 100%

The offside was indeed offside but there was no reason to not play to the whistle = unprofessional by the Gooners CBs being statues with their arms in the air.

Amen.

jam25mack Nov 6th 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12375875)
The penalty was a penalty 100%..... soft as I said but yeah

Agreed. Poor officiating tho as it wasn't just Silva offside.

Agreed.

My views on Sterling's antics and lack of composure are a matter of record on here.

Methinks you are being a bit hard on Hazard who was having lumps kicked out of him by your lot (probably deserved it but nonetheless it was team fouling at its best).

Nah.

Miki was surprisingly rubbish and Jones was, unsurprisingly, back at donkey level.

Agreed.

Filthlani looked at him and then deliberately elbowed him - should have been a red

B0ll0cks! :lol::rofl:

:p

Maste Nov 6th 2017 12:01 pm

Man City are in cruise control. It's looking like it will be their year.

Garbatellamike Nov 6th 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12375886)
:p

I think we agree on everything other than your lot kicking Hazard and Filthlani deserving to be sent off then ;)

Hazard rolled around a lot after being kicked but was kicked by 5 or 6 of your lot one after the other - he's annoying so asked for it

zargof Nov 6th 2017 2:03 pm

So Bilic out and Moyes in at Spam. Makes sense, Moyes should be able to keep them up with the players they've got and then make the comfortably mid-table with a bit of cash from the Dildo Brothers.

Cainess Nov 6th 2017 2:08 pm

citeh have the title in the bag... people can spout off all they like about 'they had a lead last year & didn't win it', but that was an anomaly, and Pep has made sure it won't be repeated this time. They have players on their bench who'd walk into nearly every other starting XI in most of Europe, never mind England. The only thing left to decide is how many points they win it by, and who finishes 2, 3, 4. Only an injury crisis of historic proportions can stop them. http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...milies/sad.gif

More worryingly for EVERYONE ELSE is that with the bottomless pit of money at their disposal, they can dominate England, and possibly Europe, for years to come.

As for United, we simply can't compete. Our owners are still sucking out as much money as they can get away with (our gross debt at the end of last season was an eye-watering £503m.... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...ies/secret.gif). We are desperate for our lone 'galactico' to return from injury, HOPING he will make enough difference to persuade our manager to return to 'swashbuckling', attacking football formations (Lukaku may need to be reminded what a 'through ball' to run onto is, since he hasn't had one since Pogba got injured.... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for.../undecided.gif)... no pressure, Paul... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...ipsrsealed.gif

Across town, Bernardo Silva (arguably the star attacking player of last year's Monaco team) can't even get a start, such is their wealth of talent, and one of the best strikers in PL history isn't even guaranteed to start ANY game.... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...es/shocked.gif

People are now doing the whole Morata > Lukaku thing (predictably), but I'd love to see Morata succeed with ZERO service of any description, because that's what Lukaku has had since Anfield, and tbh our manager has to shoulder some of the responsibility for that.... Mkhitaryan has suffered immensely from Pogba's absence and on current form barely deserves a place on the bench...how he is still getting a start (ahead of the likes of Martial & Mata) at places like Stamford Bridge is beyond belief... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for.../undecided.gif

Plenty of work to be done, Jose, instead of worrying about an improved contract... right now that smacks of pick-pocketing a blind man after kicking him in the shins... http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...embarassed.gif

JamesM Nov 6th 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12375989)
citeh have the title in the bag...

They haven't played United or Tottenham yet and do so I believe back to back in December. A couple of defeats there could blow it wide open.

Tottenham are yet to hit stride yet but we have more points now than we did at this stage last season and we finished with 86 points.

Sure it's a long shot but I think we can put pressure on City and that is what I will be looking for now we have navigated our complex Champions League group.

I also think United will improve with Pogba's return and Ibra's dressing room presence coming back.

You are attempting Fergie mind games at this early stage I'm guessing?

Cainess Nov 6th 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12376000)
They haven't played United or Tottenham yet and do so I believe back to back in December. A couple of defeats there could blow it wide open.

Tottenham are yet to hit stride yet but we have more points now than we did at this stage last season and we finished with 86 points.

Sure it's a long shot but I think we can put pressure on City and that is what I will be looking for now we have navigated our complex Champions League group.

I also think United will improve with Pogba's return and Ibra's dressing room presence coming back.

You are attempting Fergie mind games at this early stage I'm guessing?

Er, no. We are HOPING Pogba makes that much difference; citeh have the best attacking midfielder in Europe right now (de Bruyne) on top form, ably assisted by David Silva, laying chances on a plate for Sane, Aguero, Jesus and Sterling (who is useless, but even a blind pig could score the odd goal for citeh given the number of tap-ins they create... :blink:).

Their defence is certainly "breachable", but the problem for the rest is that teams facing citeh are now going into the game with the 'let's try to keep the score down' mentality (Wenger disgracefully benching Lacazette until 0-2 down, showing he learned nothing from the 4-0 hiding they got at Anfield... :thumbdown:) instead of having a proper go at them without being kamikaze... ironically Pulis may have tried that last weekend but simply didn't have the quality to get a reward for being uncharacteristically positive!

It also doesn't help when refs give them penalties that never were (Sterling being clever, 'leaving his leg in'....) and linos not raising their flags for blatant off-sides.... :sneaky: :blink:

Spurs? Good side, but nowhere near citeh in terms of quality-in-depth, and still hugely over-reliant on Harry Kane (Son won't get you 'out of jail' every week, nor will you be facing sides like Palace who need to create 10 chances before they score one goal...)- top 4 side, not Champions-elect.

Garbatellamike Nov 6th 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12376000)

Unusually, I find myself 100% in agreement with James ;)

We have not yet played the 2nd or 3rd placed teams. We have Swansea in the mid week game between Utd away and Spurs at home. We will then have played all the Big 5 once and will be better placed to judge where City is likely to finish.

Winter is coming and we have a Brazilian/Argentian spine that doesn't like fighting the wildlings in the snow - I fear for us like last year.

If City still has an 8 point lead over Spurs and Utd on 17 December then Cainess maybe on to something but at the moment I'm in James' gang.

Cainess Nov 6th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12376110)
Unusually, I find myself 100% in agreement with James ;)

We have not yet played the 2nd or 3rd placed teams. We have Swansea in the mid week game between Utd away and Spurs at home. We will then have played all the Big 5 once and will be better placed to judge where City is likely to finish.

Winter is coming and we have a Brazilian/Argentian spine that doesn't like fighting the wildlings in the snow - I fear for us like last year.

If City doesn't have at least a 12 point lead going into January, Pep will simply break out the chequebook again and make sure the lead is restored in the New Year.....

Fixed that for ye, Mike. :sneaky:

Garbatellamike Nov 6th 2017 11:27 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12376229)
Fixed that for ye, Mike. :sneaky:

Pep, the new Fergie then?????? :sneaky:

Cainess Nov 7th 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12376371)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only a bitter blue would accuse SAF of buying league titles... 😉

Scamp Nov 7th 2017 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12376371)

The funniest bit is they don't see it. :lol::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Garbatellamike Nov 7th 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12376446)
The funniest bit is they don't see it. :lol::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think they do see it they just have considerable difficulty acknowledging it ;)