British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

ededed Oct 21st 2017 9:28 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12365861)
11 wins on the bounce, which is a new club record and City has deserved 10 of them as we were very lucky v Bournemouth.

Question I have on Utd is that they have only played 2 of the top 10 so far and have lost one and drawn the other so is the easy run of fixtures at the start of the season giving a false position? At the start of the season I said anyone who finished above Utd would be champions but I'm now having doubts

Dunno. We were ok until Jones went off. We’ve lost Bailly, Rojo and Jones - 3 players who would walk into most PL first teams and it’s hurting us (and Pogba and Fellaini who are also regulars under Jose’s preferred system) - but we should have enough to see off Huddersfield. Lindelof looks utterly terrified, he’ll be on his way soon. Lingard had a stinker as usual, Miki was anonymous, Young gave the ball away every chance he got, Martial could have been sent off after 15 minutes and Mata and Herrera had poor games. The last 20 minutes was gung-ho and we actually played some decent stuff, but Smalling was thrown up as a centre-forward, and as a comparison City are bringing Jesus off the bench. Something’s not right when that’s happening.

After our manager was suggesting a 0-0 at Anfield was a good result, today was a total disaster. Jose’s 2nd season needs to get much better, and fast.

Kudos to Huddersfield - nice little ground, fans made loads of noise but the town itself is like the rest of Yorkshire. Full of inbred yokels who think electricity is a step too far into the future.

Garbatellamike Oct 21st 2017 10:01 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12365930)
Dunno. We were ok until Jones went off. We’ve lost Bailly, Rojo and Jones - 3 players who would walk into most PL first teams and it’s hurting us (and Pogba and Fellaini who are also regulars under Jose’s preferred system) - but we should have enough to see off Huddersfield. Lindelof looks utterly terrified, he’ll be on his way soon. Lingard had a stinker as usual, Miki was anonymous, Young gave the ball away every chance he got, Martial could have been sent off after 15 minutes and Mata and Herrera had poor games. The last 20 minutes was gung-ho and we actually played some decent stuff, but Smalling was thrown up as a centre-forward, and as a comparison City are bringing Jesus off the bench. Something’s not right when that’s happening.

After our manager was suggesting a 0-0 at Anfield was a good result, today was a total disaster. Jose’s 2nd season needs to get much better, and fast.

Kudos to Huddersfield - nice little ground, fans made loads of noise but the town itself is like the rest of Yorkshire. Full of inbred yokels who think electricity is a step too far into the future.

Yes I think missing 2 big units like Pogba and Fellani takes away Maureen's option to dominate in the air and try to score off the 2nd ball and you are missing Ibra in that respect too.

Former Lancastrian Oct 21st 2017 10:37 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12365930)

Kudos to Huddersfield - nice little ground, fans made loads of noise but the town itself is like the rest of Yorkshire. Full of inbred yokels who think electricity is a step too far into the future.

Were the sheep at least welcoming? Did you go home with a new girlfriend or are they just sluts?

Cainess Oct 22nd 2017 12:46 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
We've had this result coming for a while....coupled with a pathetic 'just turn up to win' attitude today, the injury to Pogba is finally counting against us...we miss his ability to turn a game around for us dreadfully.

There's not a single genuine leader in that team, not one- the nearest we had to a lad who looked hurt by what was happening around him is a 20-year-old kid from Manchester (perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that it's a United fan in the team who feels the disappointment of his fellow Reds in the stands the most....)

Frankly, we might be in all kinds of trouble now, because the injury list is starting to look ridiculous, and if today was a true reflection of how unready for PL action Lindelof is, then we may as well forget about him for a while too....'pretend' he is injured.

We've got Spurs next weekend, and unless there are a few miraculous recoveries between now & then, Kane & Eriksen will be licking their chops at the thought of getting into Smalling & the Swede.... BIG week ahead. The gap to citeh is now 5 points; if it grows any bigger before the Derby in December, we can start to concentrate on the cups....

Scamp Oct 22nd 2017 5:36 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Honestly.

For those of you who aren't friends with Ededed on Facebook, this is what happened:

Uploads a picture of his poor son, gleefully gripping a ticket outside the Huddersfield Stadium. Captions included information about the first away trip for the nipper ( :thumbup: ) and that the town was a shit hole and other dismissive items.

United spend 90minutes getting slapped around the field by a team costing £14.75.

United fans start whining.

jam25mack Oct 22nd 2017 7:28 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Didn't watch it as the dicks at Bein decided not to show it. However, from what I've read it seems like that was a blessing. To put it into context though, its our first loss of the season and hardly surprising with some crucial first 11 players (in the same positions) out injured. We're missing Pogba and Fellaini a lot. Also, for me Smalling and Jones aren't United quality. They've had their chance and have failed to make the grade. I'd be selling them on. Lindelof.... well, least said about him the better. It seems he's at risk of being bumped before he's even settled in. For me, our back line is significantly better with Bailly and Rojo in the centre. Valencia is solid on the right but the long drawn out Shaw saga means I'd take a new LB, but Young or at a push Blind can cover there. Darmian should also be moved on.

Jose needs to look at the predicted return dates carefully. Personally, I was disappointed Periera was sent out on loan. He would have fitted in quite nicely over the last couple of weeks. It may also be worth having a look at some of Butt's youngsters.

As far as I can gauge though, there were several players yesterday who didn't turn up. One possibly two you can carry, but more than that you haven't a chance and that's what Jose needs to address ASAP, otherwise we are going to get spanked by Spurs. It's all very well us (me) moaning about injuries but if the attitude of the fit players isn't right then your screwed. He needs to get to the bottom of this and fix it, and quick.



A bad result yes, but not the end of the world.

pommybird Oct 22nd 2017 8:41 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12366034)
Honestly.

For those of you who aren't friends with Ededed on Facebook, this is what happened:

Uploads a picture of his poor son, gleefully gripping a ticket outside the Huddersfield Stadium. Captions included information about the first away trip for the nipper ( :thumbup: ) and that the town was a shit hole and other dismissive items.

United spend 90minutes getting slapped around the field by a team costing £14.75.

United fans start whining.

Ha, ha. That almost makes it worth being Facebook friends with Ed.....almost.

Garbatellamike Oct 22nd 2017 9:00 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12366064)
Didn't watch it as the dicks at Bein decided not to show it. However, from what I've read it seems like that was a blessing. To put it into context though, its our first loss of the season and hardly surprising with some crucial first 11 players (in the same positions) out injured. We're missing Pogba and Fellaini a lot. Also, for me Smalling and Jones aren't United quality. They've had their chance and have failed to make the grade. I'd be selling them on. Lindelof.... well, least said about him the better. It seems he's at risk of being bumped before he's even settled in. For me, our back line is significantly better with Bailly and Rojo in the centre. Valencia is solid on the right but the long drawn out Shaw saga means I'd take a new LB, but Young or at a push Blind can cover there. Darmian should also be moved on.

Jose needs to look at the predicted return dates carefully. Personally, I was disappointed Periera was sent out on loan. He would have fitted in quite nicely over the last couple of weeks. It may also be worth having a look at some of Butt's youngsters.

As far as I can gauge though, there were several players yesterday who didn't turn up. One possibly two you can carry, but more than that you haven't a chance and that's what Jose needs to address ASAP, otherwise we are going to get spanked by Spurs. It's all very well us (me) moaning about injuries but if the attitude of the fit players isn't right then your screwed. He needs to get to the bottom of this and fix it, and quick.



A bad result yes, but not the end of the world.

I think that's spot on other than Valencia who is a lot better than solid. I thought Smalling would be up there with Vidic and Kompany as one of the best centre halfs in EPL history but his development stalled, Jones looks world class as long as the oppo are bus parking for 0 0 and don't enter the Utd half.

Scamp Oct 22nd 2017 9:41 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12366106)
Ha, ha. That almost makes it worth being Facebook friends with Ed.....almost.

It's not. It's like being friends with someone who get's all their comedy material from David Brent.

Garbatellamike Oct 22nd 2017 10:06 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12366119)
It's not. It's like being friends with someone who get's all their comedy material from David Brent.

:rofl::rofl:

saw your lots goal on MOTD, contender for GOTS methinks

Scamp Oct 22nd 2017 10:27 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12366132)
:rofl::rofl:

saw your lots goal on MOTD, contender for GOTS methinks

Screamer. Woke me up from an 85 minute slumber that is watching Saints.

I scream at the telly box whenever we play for someone to get hold of the ball and run forward. Normally Redmond tries and fails so it's nice to see a success. :thumbup:

jam25mack Oct 22nd 2017 10:34 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12366110)
I think that's spot on other than Valencia who is a lot better than solid. I thought Smalling would be up there with Vidic and Kompany as one of the best centre halfs in EPL history but his development stalled, Jones looks world class as long as the oppo are bus parking for 0 0 and don't enter the Utd half.

Agreed, been one of my favorite players for a long time.

ededed Oct 22nd 2017 1:55 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12366119)
It's not. It's like being friends with someone who get's all their comedy material from David Brent.

Must post a picture of myself looking like a fat Peter Sutcliffe on some beach with a hashtag like #Dubailife or some other trite wank. Except that role’s been taken...

Although saying that, Southampton did score an irritatingly sweet goal yesterday. Bastards.

Former Lancastrian Oct 22nd 2017 2:13 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
OK all you football managers out there what would be your style if you have just lost a game and you are well known and the spotlight is on you and you know there will be umpteen articles written about you, the players and performance after the defeat.

Yes your job is to motivate players and get them to perform at a high level but players are human.
Mata made a mistake yesterday that cost a goal. Jose didn't publicly mention him and knows that Mata is a very good player. At the time Mata had been somewhat a ghost in the match and was having to move further back to try and get a touch of the ball. TBF the ball Mata received from Smalling wasn't exactly easy to control forcing the ball off Mata towards the Huddersfield player. Seconds later GOAL. I could think of several excuses why Lindelof didn't head the ball but not plausible ones :lol:

Players have off days. Some players shouldn't be playing. They are still part of your squad so are you allowed to be critical of their own performances but still trying to give them confidence or do you be bluntly honest and tell them not good enough for your club.

One reporter
But Liew, chief sports writer at the Independent, questioned Mourinho's main role as manager if it is not to motivate the players.

Another reporter
Sami Mokbel, football reporter at the Daily Mail, says Mourinho threw his players under the bus following the defeat, but insists this is nothing new for the Portuguese boss, and the tactic works more often than not.

How much time should you give to a player if you believe they are not one of your marquee players. Paying millions for a player and then not playing them in their true position or asking them to do a job thats not their forte can lead to problems and we have seen this with players at a variety of clubs.

Are some of these players becoming snowflakes and need the speech to either Man Up or Get The **** Out?

And yes Im sticking to my day job:lol:

Garbatellamike Oct 22nd 2017 3:31 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12366279)
OK all you football managers out there what would be your style if you have just lost a game and you are well known and the spotlight is on you and you know there will be umpteen articles written about you, the players and performance after the defeat.

Yes your job is to motivate players and get them to perform at a high level but players are human.
Mata made a mistake yesterday that cost a goal. Jose didn't publicly mention him and knows that Mata is a very good player. At the time Mata had been somewhat a ghost in the match and was having to move further back to try and get a touch of the ball. TBF the ball Mata received from Smalling wasn't exactly easy to control forcing the ball off Mata towards the Huddersfield player. Seconds later GOAL. I could think of several excuses why Lindelof didn't head the ball but not plausible ones :lol:

Players have off days. Some players shouldn't be playing. They are still part of your squad so are you allowed to be critical of their own performances but still trying to give them confidence or do you be bluntly honest and tell them not good enough for your club.

One reporter
But Liew, chief sports writer at the Independent, questioned Mourinho's main role as manager if it is not to motivate the players.

Another reporter
Sami Mokbel, football reporter at the Daily Mail, says Mourinho threw his players under the bus following the defeat, but insists this is nothing new for the Portuguese boss, and the tactic works more often than not.

How much time should you give to a player if you believe they are not one of your marquee players. Paying millions for a player and then not playing them in their true position or asking them to do a job thats not their forte can lead to problems and we have seen this with players at a variety of clubs.

Are some of these players becoming snowflakes and need the speech to either Man Up or Get The **** Out?

And yes Im sticking to my day job:lol:

they are snow flakes and ask what would Old Red Nose have done?

I suspect he would have said "we didn't play well, the ref was biased, it is a long season" then in private he would have roasted 8 or 9 of them over a slow burning fire. The issue with Maureen is he can't say we only me and, therefore, lashes out at his players in public rather than taking corporat e responsibility along with the players.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:13 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.