British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The Ashes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/ashes-314975/)

tony126 Aug 12th 2005 5:43 pm

Re: The Ashes

Not a bad days work, on the whole. Interesting to hear Lawrie say that it has been some time since Australia has had to face fast bowling.

fraser Aug 12th 2005 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Not a bad days work, on the whole. Interesting to hear Lawrie say that it has been some time since Australia has had to face fast bowling.

You can see the power shifting it's in the body language, the Aussies are looking confused they've not been under any pressure for years, we have to win this test match and if we do I can't see any other outcome but an English series.

Chandler Aug 12th 2005 9:13 pm

I heard on the radio that Austraila havent been made to follow on for 15 years. Surely this can't be right - Perhaps in the Ashes series only?

Question is, do we want them to follow on? I'd rather not bat last facing Warne. Much better to get another 250/300 on the board and set them 400+ to win.

NJJ Aug 12th 2005 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
You can see the power shifting it's in the body language, the Aussies are looking confused they've not been under any pressure for years, we have to win this test match and if we do I can't see any other outcome but an English series.

The Aussies seem to have resorted to desparate measures as they are not sure how to deal with an attacking England.

Last test Ponting could not handle Flintoff so put most fielders on the boundary.

This test they were smirking due to announcing (what they though would be) the aces of Brett Lee and McGrath to play in this test. With Mcgrath taking no wickets for 86 runs, and Gillespie leaking runs everywhere Ponting looked to be out of options and played Warne for about 28 straight overs..

As the last poster mentioned, I too would prefer Australia to avoid the follow-on (Just!) so that England can extend the lead.

What we DON'T need now is for the skies to open and the traditional test match washout to occur!

NJJ

fraser Aug 12th 2005 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Chandler
I heard on the radio that Austraila havent been made to follow on for 15 years. Surely this can't be right - Perhaps in the Ashes series only?

Question is, do we want them to follow on? I'd rather not bat last facing Warne. Much better to get another 250/300 on the board and set them 400+ to win.

17 years since they'e followed on in any test match.

JohnoBronco Aug 13th 2005 12:48 am

Guys I think were getting a bit carried away here - we haven't bowled them out yet and remember their no 10 & 11 put on nearly a hundred runs to win the game last Sunday - i just find it hard as we have this habit of throwing games that we should win away and after a while you become cynical :( :( :(

bondipom Aug 13th 2005 1:00 am

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
Guys I think were getting a bit carried away here - we haven't bowled them out yet and remember their no 10 & 11 put on nearly a hundred runs to win the game last Sunday - i just find it hard as we have this habit of throwing games that we should win away and after a while you become cynical :( :( :(

Without a follow on I reckon it will be a draw.

walla Aug 13th 2005 3:26 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
Without a follow on I reckon it will be a draw.

only the Manchester weather will determine a draw, we've only had 2 days play remember.

Deadmeat Aug 13th 2005 5:42 am

I'd like to see England enforce the "follow through", that's got to be worth a laugh.

fraser Aug 13th 2005 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco

Have some faith the ashes are coming home :D

:-) Aug 13th 2005 9:10 am

Have some faith the ashes are coming home :D

I think you may be right. Time for a shift in power.

I hear the weather is looking a bit grim over NW England? :rolleyes:

walla Aug 13th 2005 10:20 am

Originally Posted by :-)
I think you may be right. Time for a shift in power.

I hear the weather is looking a bit grim over NW England? :rolleyes:

weather is always grim in NW England :D

I think the covers are off and the head groundsman reckons once they come off play should start in approx 1 and 1/2 hours.

I'm sure the Aussies would prefer rain for the next 3 days......

fraser Aug 13th 2005 10:25 am

Originally Posted by walla1
weather is always grim in NW England :D

I think the covers are off and the head groundsman reckons once they come off play should start in approx 1 and 1/2 hours.

I'm sure the Aussies would prefer rain for the next 3 days......

Bloody weather, lets hope it makes batting a lot harder :D

walla Aug 13th 2005 10:30 am

Bloody weather, lets hope it makes batting a lot harder :D

it will, but will we let them follow on, providing it comes to that of course?

one would have thought so but a couple of commentators are talking about England batting regardless..... :confused:

Flutterscutter Aug 13th 2005 10:34 am

I'm bored :(

eaten all my popcorn. drank half the bottle of shiraz and STILL havent started :(