British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Jul 29th 2021 12:13 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

#JFT97 RIP Andrew Devine.

civilservant Jul 29th 2021 12:25 pm

All that video did is remind me that we still have Lingard and Pereira still in the squad. We might have some good players, but jeez do we still have some dross hanging around.

Can someone please take them and Phil Jones off our hands???

BristolUK Jul 29th 2021 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13034769)
All that video did is remind me that we still have Lingard and Pereira still in the squad. We might have some good players, but jeez do we still have some dross hanging around.

Lingard has been very good for ManU, lost his way for personal reasons/circumstances but came good again at West Ham. There's no reason why he can't be good again for ManU.

Garbatellamike Jul 29th 2021 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13034769)

you are paying Jones 4 million a year until 2024 - given he's worth about 3 pence a week I can't see that happening

DaveLovesDee Jul 29th 2021 8:41 pm

Time for some juicy gossip, I think...

In notices published on its website, the SRA said it would prosecute both the firm and Liz Ellen, who until April 2020 was a partner and head of its sports group which represents elite athletes, sports agents and top football clubs.The SRA said its allegations relate to the “failure to take any or adequate steps to prevent payments to be made into and from the firm’s client account in circumstances amounting to the provision of a banking facility”.

Under SRA rules, solicitors cannot provide banking facilities to clients and payments to and from its client account must be in respect of an underlying regulated legal service.

The regulator noted that its case against Mishcon de Reya and Ellen were unproven and subject to a full hearing.

According to two sources familiar with the matter, the case relates to payments linked to the transfer of a Premier League footballer in 2011.

Here's 5 of the top transfers that year.. It might not be someone on that list
  • 1 Sergio Agüero - Atlético Madrid to Manchester City - £38m.
  • 2 Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal to Barcelona - £35m.
  • 3 Samir Nasri - Arsenal to Manchester City - £25m.
  • 4 Juan Mata - Valencia to Chelsea - £23.5m.
  • 5 Stewart Downing - Aston Villa to Liverpool - £20m.

Garbatellamike Jul 29th 2021 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13034980)
Time for some juicy gossip, I think...

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1420844241903886344

Here's 5 of the top transfers that year.. It might not be someone on that list
  • 1 Sergio Agüero - Atlético Madrid to Manchester City - £38m.
  • 2 Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal to Barcelona - £35m.
  • 3 Samir Nasri - Arsenal to Manchester City - £25m.
  • 4 Juan Mata - Valencia to Chelsea - £23.5m.
  • 5 Stewart Downing - Aston Villa to Liverpool - £20m.

I think it was Demba Ba or his agent

Maste Jul 30th 2021 2:24 am

Stewart Downing! There's a name I forgot - Wonder where he is at these days?

civilservant Jul 30th 2021 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 13035069)
Stewart Downing! There's a name I forgot - Wonder where he is at these days?

He left Blackburn Rovers at the end of last season (20/21), having spend a couple of years there. He's probably about to retire. He turned 37 a week or so ago.

BristolUK Aug 2nd 2021 9:56 pm

Well this could be good news.

VAR set to end Premier League players ‘buying a penalty’ next season
  • Referees to consider three criteria before giving penalty
  • Offside decisions to give forwards benefit of the doubt again

When the 2021-22 season begins, referees are to assess three criteria before deciding whether a penalty should be awarded for a foul challenge. Officials must first consider the degree of contact experienced by the attacking player, then the consequence of that contact, before finally taking into account the motivation of the attacker in reacting to the challenge.
It would be nice if this change took account of a player clearly being unbalanced by the challenge but staying on his feet and losing the advantage as a consequence of the challenge but I suspect not.

VAR assesses whether a player is offside in the build up to a goa but has been criticised for ruling out goals on the tiniest of margins. New rules will apply a different approach, with a final decision made not using the one-pixel-wide lines of the VAR, but the fatter “broadcast lines” used by TV. If the line marking the attacker’s position blurs into the line marking the defender’s position, the attacker will be deemed onside.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 3rd 2021 3:38 pm

How have players and agents not realised that gentleman's agreements mean nothing. If you're signing a new contract get the "agreement" put in to the contract, otherwise don't sign. If Spurs don't want to sell Kane he's stuck and with Haaland and Mbappe both available next summer I imagine Kane's window for a big move is about to slam shut. He'll probably end up at Juventus in a couple of years.

BristolUK Aug 3rd 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13036573)
How have players and agents not realised that gentleman's agreements mean nothing. If you're signing a new contract that the "agreement" put in to the contract, otherwise don't sign. If Spurs don't want to sell Kane he's stuck and with Haaland and Mbappe both available next summer I imagine Kane's window for a big move is about to slam shut. He'll probably end up at Juventus in a couple of years.

In Kane's case there was no (new) contract to put it in but you're right of course. Especially with at least three previous Spurs players making the same claim.

It would be interesting if he did go to Italy then we could see if he could score against all the teams instead of just the lesser ones that Lukaku only scores against. Penalties excepted. ;)

civilservant Aug 4th 2021 6:53 pm

$25m for Danny Ings?!?! That's insane.

DaveLovesDee Aug 4th 2021 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13037062)

And it's a done deal...

That was quietly done. What are your thoughts, Scamp? Happy with the money?

Garbatellamike Aug 4th 2021 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13037062)

One suspects they are spending the money they'll get for Grealish

It's a bit like selling Torres and buying Caroll to try and keep the fans happy wisn't it?

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 4:36 am

It makes absolutely no sense. Southampton are about as likely to win something as Villa are, it's a complete sideways move at best and considering he said Southampton were his childhood club it makes him look like a bit of a dick. If he moved for money he should've moved to MLS or China not to ****ing Birmingham and I say that as someone who grew up a stones throw away from the Villa ground, it's an utter shit hole.

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 8:34 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037236)
It makes absolutely no sense. Southampton are about as likely to win something as Villa are, it's a complete sideways move at best and considering he said Southampton were his childhood club it makes him look like a bit of a dick. If he moved for money he should've moved to MLS or China not to ****ing Birmingham and I say that as someone who grew up a stones throw away from the Villa ground, it's an utter shit hole.

It's further away from Portsmouth....

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 2:22 pm

But he'll have the money to live very nicely without having to move to China or the US.

Childhood club aside, Villa look a lot more likely to avoid relegation than Southampton, perhaps a bit of glamour in the cup or Europe, nicer ground to play at and so on.

Former Lancastrian Aug 5th 2021 2:40 pm

Not that he would be living a stones throw from Villa Park. Are there any upmarket/posh areas near Birmingham i.e a short drive away that might put some miles on the Bentley/Merc/Range Rover etc. Don't see him as a Ferrari type guy.

kimilseung Aug 5th 2021 3:49 pm

Tis a million pounds for Liverpool too it might buy somebodies finger

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037423)
Childhood club aside, Villa look a lot more likely to avoid relegation than Southampton, perhaps a bit of glamour in the cup or Europe, nicer ground to play at and so on.

With Grealish going and no Ross Barkley I don't fancy their chances. They over performed last season and will be weaker this season. As for the ground I haven't been to St. Mary's but it's much newer than Villa Park so I struggle to see how it can be worse. The Dell was a notorious shit heap though.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13037433)
Not that he would be living a stones throw from Villa Park. Are there any upmarket/posh areas near Birmingham i.e a short drive away that might put some miles on the Bentley/Merc/Range Rover etc. Don't see him as a Ferrari type guy.

No idea, there used to be nice areas but they all seemed to go down hill over the years and I buggered off out of there never to return.

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037456)
With Grealish going and no Ross Barkley I don't fancy their chances. They over performed last season and will be weaker this season. As for the ground I haven't been to St. Mary's but it's much newer than Villa Park so I struggle to see how it can be worse. The Dell was a notorious shit heap though.

I've always liked Villa Park. Nice 'traditional' ground but still looks modern. Must be great to play in front of the Holte End and a bigger capacity too.

I don't see that Barklay has contributed much to Villa and if Grealish does go, they have a stack of money to spend. They still have a top striker in Watkins, a centre back who acquitted himself surprisingly well for England at the WC.

They've just signed an attacking player - Leon Bailey - who has impressed in the Bundesliga, with a very good scoring record for the position he plays.

The icing on the cake is, of course, the addition of Serie A winning, Ashely Young :lol:

In all seriousness, even without Grealish and even if wasting the money they get, I'd sooner be a Villain than a Saint. ;)

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13037433)

Erdington is close to the ground and where the club trains in Tamworth, and is a very nice area. Otherwise, it's likely to be Edgebaston or Kings Heath....

Scamp Aug 5th 2021 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13037075)
And it's a done deal...

That was quietly done. What are your thoughts, Scamp? Happy with the money?

Pretty gutted but not surprised, he's better than relegation fodder, but not good enough for a top top side so a traditional 'big club' with ambition is more appealing than the shit show we are under Gao.

Yeah, all very fair. I appreciate Villa are a 'bigger' club than Saints but it also confirms my fears about the owners. Remember we're still paying back a Covid loan to the Chinese chap at 7% interest. That's what sort of club we've become.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037423)
But he'll have the money to live very nicely without having to move to China or the US.

He was easily our best paid, but we don't pay more than 100k a week I don't believe. You're right though, might get some European football or a chance at England in a qualifier against Andorra.

Probably kissed the badge last time he scored too.

Scamp Aug 5th 2021 6:13 pm

Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.
Maybe City cancel Grealish, Villa cancel Ings and Saints will stay up!:fingerscrossed:

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 6:51 pm

Will any club really be prepared to make a 34 year old their highest earner? It would seem very short sighted. Seems like the kind of move Ed Woodward would make knowing full well in 4 months time it's not his problem.

civilservant Aug 5th 2021 8:39 pm

$100m for Grelish or Messi on a free? Hmmm. I know which way I would go.

Will any club really be prepared to make a 34 year old their highest earner? It would seem very short sighted. Seems like the kind of move Ed Woodward would make knowing full well in 4 months time it's not his problem.
For a year why not? Seems like a no brainer if the club can sustain the wages.

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037513)

Looks like we've got him... :p

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b4265b4495.jpg

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13037506)
Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.
Maybe City cancel Grealish, Villa cancel Ings and Saints will stay up!:fingerscrossed:

Or Messi to Southampton and that's why they sold Ings, to raise some funds. ;)

Messi has always been a bit holier than thou (a Barca trait) so why not end up a Saint? :rofl:

Garbatellamike Aug 5th 2021 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13037506)
Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.

so Grealish definitely in and hopefully that means we can flog Sterling to some other suckers

Former Lancastrian Aug 5th 2021 10:50 pm

I wonder if Messi is sat at home thinking where should I go next knowing several clubs will be checking behind the couch for loose change or some owners thinking do I use that 2nd private jet/yacht enough. If I was him I would be looking at the EPL table knowing it is the best club league and thinking what would happen if I looked at Brentford or Norwich?

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 11:43 pm

Anyone care to predict how many days it will be before it all works out and Messi signs a new Barcelona contract?

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037599)
Anyone care to predict how many days it will be before it all works out and Messi signs a new Barcelona contract?

Unless he signs for 1 Euro a week, I doubt La Liga would allow it to happen.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13037602)

I reckon they'll change their rules for him, he's a big pull so must earn the league a fortune.

BristolUK Aug 6th 2021 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13037602)

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037605)
I reckon they'll change their rules for him, he's a big pull so must earn the league a fortune.

:nod:
Pressure from the broadcasters, extraordinary general meeting to suspend the rules or make a change in the formula to reflect 'changing' circumstances, someone else agrees to go after all, some even more creative accounting (I'm sure there's someone who can show them the way), find a mistake in t he original proposals and so on...

BristolUK Aug 6th 2021 12:27 pm

From the Guardian today

La Liga has a salary cap, calculated based on a club’s financial health, which was reduced in November in the wake of the financial pressures caused by the pandemic, and Barcelona have been hit hard.
This was the sot of thing I had in mind. It's an exceptional situation so one could justify an exception.

There's already a proposal that might work so there might yet be a change of mind.

DaveLovesDee Aug 6th 2021 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037847)
From the Guardian today

This was the sot of thing I had in mind. It's an exceptional situation so one could justify an exception.

There's already a proposal that might work so there might yet be a change of mind.

Sell him to Man City and City loan him to Barca for 2 seasons?

BristolUK Aug 6th 2021 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13037911)
Sell him to Man City and City loan him to Barca for 2 seasons?

That would imply City were involved in something untoward so that won't work. They're above that sort of thing.

Garbatellamike Aug 6th 2021 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13038022)
That would imply City were involved in something untoward so that won't work. They're above that sort of thing.

exactly right it is more likely to be one of the heavily in debt clubs like Yernited or Red Scouse that would be involved in that kind of duplicity.... well them or that notorious bunch of fraudsters at Bristol Rovers :p

DaveLovesDee Aug 6th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13038042)
exactly right it is more likely to be one of the heavily in debt clubs like Yernited or Red Scouse that would be involved in that kind of duplicity.... well them or that notorious bunch of fraudsters at Bristol Rovers :p

Garbatellamike Aug 6th 2021 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13038046)

Yeah I guessed PSG or the MLS if he doesn't stay at Barca