British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 8:34 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037236)
It makes absolutely no sense. Southampton are about as likely to win something as Villa are, it's a complete sideways move at best and considering he said Southampton were his childhood club it makes him look like a bit of a dick. If he moved for money he should've moved to MLS or China not to ****ing Birmingham and I say that as someone who grew up a stones throw away from the Villa ground, it's an utter shit hole.

It's further away from Portsmouth....

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 2:22 pm

It makes absolutely no sense. Southampton are about as likely to win something as Villa are, it's a complete sideways move at best and considering he said Southampton were his childhood club it makes him look like a bit of a dick. If he moved for money he should've moved to MLS or China not to ****ing Birmingham and I say that as someone who grew up a stones throw away from the Villa ground, it's an utter shit hole.

But he'll have the money to live very nicely without having to move to China or the US.

Childhood club aside, Villa look a lot more likely to avoid relegation than Southampton, perhaps a bit of glamour in the cup or Europe, nicer ground to play at and so on.

Former Lancastrian Aug 5th 2021 2:40 pm

Not that he would be living a stones throw from Villa Park. Are there any upmarket/posh areas near Birmingham i.e a short drive away that might put some miles on the Bentley/Merc/Range Rover etc. Don't see him as a Ferrari type guy.

kimilseung Aug 5th 2021 3:49 pm

Tis a million pounds for Liverpool too it might buy somebodies finger

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037423)
Childhood club aside, Villa look a lot more likely to avoid relegation than Southampton, perhaps a bit of glamour in the cup or Europe, nicer ground to play at and so on.

With Grealish going and no Ross Barkley I don't fancy their chances. They over performed last season and will be weaker this season. As for the ground I haven't been to St. Mary's but it's much newer than Villa Park so I struggle to see how it can be worse. The Dell was a notorious shit heap though.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13037433)
Not that he would be living a stones throw from Villa Park. Are there any upmarket/posh areas near Birmingham i.e a short drive away that might put some miles on the Bentley/Merc/Range Rover etc. Don't see him as a Ferrari type guy.

No idea, there used to be nice areas but they all seemed to go down hill over the years and I buggered off out of there never to return.

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037456)
With Grealish going and no Ross Barkley I don't fancy their chances. They over performed last season and will be weaker this season. As for the ground I haven't been to St. Mary's but it's much newer than Villa Park so I struggle to see how it can be worse. The Dell was a notorious shit heap though.

I've always liked Villa Park. Nice 'traditional' ground but still looks modern. Must be great to play in front of the Holte End and a bigger capacity too.

I don't see that Barklay has contributed much to Villa and if Grealish does go, they have a stack of money to spend. They still have a top striker in Watkins, a centre back who acquitted himself surprisingly well for England at the WC.

They've just signed an attacking player - Leon Bailey - who has impressed in the Bundesliga, with a very good scoring record for the position he plays.

The icing on the cake is, of course, the addition of Serie A winning, Ashely Young :lol:

In all seriousness, even without Grealish and even if wasting the money they get, I'd sooner be a Villain than a Saint. ;)

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13037433)

Erdington is close to the ground and where the club trains in Tamworth, and is a very nice area. Otherwise, it's likely to be Edgebaston or Kings Heath....

Scamp Aug 5th 2021 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13037075)
And it's a done deal...

That was quietly done. What are your thoughts, Scamp? Happy with the money?

Pretty gutted but not surprised, he's better than relegation fodder, but not good enough for a top top side so a traditional 'big club' with ambition is more appealing than the shit show we are under Gao.

Yeah, all very fair. I appreciate Villa are a 'bigger' club than Saints but it also confirms my fears about the owners. Remember we're still paying back a Covid loan to the Chinese chap at 7% interest. That's what sort of club we've become.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037423)
But he'll have the money to live very nicely without having to move to China or the US.

He was easily our best paid, but we don't pay more than 100k a week I don't believe. You're right though, might get some European football or a chance at England in a qualifier against Andorra.

Probably kissed the badge last time he scored too.

Scamp Aug 5th 2021 6:13 pm

Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.
Maybe City cancel Grealish, Villa cancel Ings and Saints will stay up!:fingerscrossed:

SpoogleDrummer Aug 5th 2021 6:51 pm

Will any club really be prepared to make a 34 year old their highest earner? It would seem very short sighted. Seems like the kind of move Ed Woodward would make knowing full well in 4 months time it's not his problem.

civilservant Aug 5th 2021 8:39 pm

$100m for Grelish or Messi on a free? Hmmm. I know which way I would go.

Will any club really be prepared to make a 34 year old their highest earner? It would seem very short sighted. Seems like the kind of move Ed Woodward would make knowing full well in 4 months time it's not his problem.
For a year why not? Seems like a no brainer if the club can sustain the wages.

DaveLovesDee Aug 5th 2021 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13037513)

Looks like we've got him... :p

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b4265b4495.jpg

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13037506)
Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.
Maybe City cancel Grealish, Villa cancel Ings and Saints will stay up!:fingerscrossed:

Or Messi to Southampton and that's why they sold Ings, to raise some funds. ;)

Messi has always been a bit holier than thou (a Barca trait) so why not end up a Saint? :rofl:

Garbatellamike Aug 5th 2021 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13037506)
Hang on though ladies.

Messi to leave Barca.

so Grealish definitely in and hopefully that means we can flog Sterling to some other suckers

Former Lancastrian Aug 5th 2021 10:50 pm

I wonder if Messi is sat at home thinking where should I go next knowing several clubs will be checking behind the couch for loose change or some owners thinking do I use that 2nd private jet/yacht enough. If I was him I would be looking at the EPL table knowing it is the best club league and thinking what would happen if I looked at Brentford or Norwich?