British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 7:59 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12962433)
So at what point are you saying a player can challenge once they've come back onside? Could Mings have just stood there with the ball at his feet and Rodri be expected to run back to his own half and defend? I'd argue that by attempting to control the ball Mings started a completely new phase of play and his lack of awareness cost him.

This

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 8:16 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 
Salah and Firmino on - here come the goals

kimilseung Jan 21st 2021 8:53 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 
Goes off to have a good cry.

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 8:54 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12962513)
Goes off to have a good cry.

Don't blame you - bit harsh that

SpoogleDrummer Jan 21st 2021 8:55 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 
I just can't understand the team selection at the moment, if the front 3 aren't scoring why change the entire midfield then end the match with the same front 3 that aren't scoring?

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 8:58 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12962515)
I just can't understand the team selection at the moment, if the front 3 aren't scoring why change the entire midfield then end the match with the same front 3 that aren't scoring?

Tired legs maybe? Liverpool are probably the hardest workers in the league so may be low on gas

BristolUK Jan 21st 2021 9:11 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12962433)
So at what point are you saying a player can challenge once they've come back onside? Could Mings have just stood there with the ball at his feet and Rodri be expected to run back to his own half and defend? I'd argue that by attempting to control the ball Mings started a completely new phase of play and his lack of awareness cost him.

If Mings had stood there with the ball at his feet (having played it) then he'd be in control and it's a new phase.

I've quoted the rule that is being used to justify the lack of offside decision and it very clearly says where the player in the offside position, at the point the ball was played by a team mate, receives the ball from the deliberate touch of an opponent then he's not gained an advantage and is not offside.

In what sense did Rodri receive the ball from Mings chesting it down?

But football is a weird game. Sadio Mane gets a shot away and it's off target but the attempt to play the ball by the opponent fails and scythes Mane down. No penalty given.

Barnes - and I'll say this kindly - gets a shot away and it's off target but there's the tiniest of touches from the opponent and a penalty is given.

As we all know, if the one on Mane happened on the halfway line it would have been a free kick, yellow card and a VAR review for possible red card.

BristolUK Jan 21st 2021 9:17 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12962440)
He didn't actually receive the ball in an offside position - watch it again

.

I know. But that's why I bolded the part that references the touch of the ball by the team mate. It's at that moment that the offside position is relevant.
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

SpoogleDrummer Jan 21st 2021 9:19 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12962532)
Barnes - and I'll say this kindly - gets a shot away and it's off target but there's the tiniest of touches from the opponent and a penalty is given.

As we all know, if the one on Mane happened on the halfway line it would have been a free kick, yellow card and a VAR review for possible red card.

I'm not too upset by that, I think Fabinho had done enough to give the penalty away so I'm surprised it was given against Alisson.

BristolUK Jan 21st 2021 9:21 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 
I dislike Burnley. Almost as much as I did for Wimbledon in their day.

They really push the limits for what is acceptable. And I'm fine - within reason - of "letting the opponent know you're there" but they take it too far.

BristolUK Jan 21st 2021 9:24 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12962537)
I'm not too upset by that, I think Fabinho had done enough to give the penalty away so I'm surprised it was given against Alisson.

Good point. I noticed that on the replay.

I know these things are supposed to even out but looking at Pickford's lunge on van Dijk and that one on Mane it doesn't seem so at the moment. :(

BristolUK Jan 21st 2021 9:26 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 
Anyone think Fabino on Barnes at the end of the first half was similar to John Terry against Barcelona a few years ago when he got a red card without VAR?
Not suggesting it was red card tonight, just that JT was maybe unlucky? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 9:31 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12962536)
I know.

Ah sorry I was confused when you wrote he was - seems we are in agreement then

I thought Klippety was very measured in his interview taking the blame for his players...

Garbatellamike Jan 21st 2021 9:36 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12962542)
Anyone think Fabino on Barnes at the end of the first half was similar to John Terry against Barcelona a few years ago when he got a red card without VAR?
Not suggesting it was red card tonight, just that JT was maybe unlucky? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Not dissimilar if memory serves me right but given JT is a racist aldulterous lying crook - I'm struggling to have sympathy for him :sneaky:

Former Lancastrian Jan 21st 2021 9:47 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12962484)
Salah and Firmino on - here come the goals

Is it still 1-0 I have just got in from a dental appointment or did those 2 score a bucketful?


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:58 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.