British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

pommybird Oct 4th 2020 4:21 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12918417)
There was me thinking my shadenfreude levels had been depleted, after this week's lead news, but I have discovered some reserve storage.

Just hoping we don’t do a Spurs 2nd half 🙏

BristolUK Oct 4th 2020 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12918412)
Anyone else enjoying the Man U shambles?

It makes up for the Arsenal-Sheffield United snoozefest :lol:

Former Lancastrian Oct 4th 2020 4:41 pm

Luckily there are more important things in life than football like where to take my 2 young adult sons for lunch or decide on either a black stainless or regular stainless steel garbage can for the kitchen :rofl:

I think Lamela has watched the All Or Nothing Spurs documentary and took it to heart about Jose saying you have to sometimes play like a ****. Sure Martial shouldn't have reacted but either 2 x yellows or 2 x reds for that incident. Good job we had lots of money and consider 80 million as pocket change for a player like Maguire. That defense has more holes than Swiss cheese. I hope it end 8-1.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 4th 2020 5:14 pm

I'm confused as to how signing an elderly striker from PSG will actually help United when their attack wasn't really the issue.

Former Lancastrian Oct 4th 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12918433)
I'm confused as to how signing an elderly striker from PSG will actually help United when their attack wasn't really the issue.

Obviously then you are qualified to sit on the Yernited board. Hey Avram, Joel, Kevin, Bryan, Darcie and Edward we have somebody here who is confused? Oh put him in charge of transfers.

Mr Weeze Oct 4th 2020 5:21 pm

They clearly need to be able to score more goals per game to make up for their defense, ergo signing Cavani makes perfect sense. Just make sure you can score 7 per game and all will be fine.

BristolUK Oct 4th 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12918433)

I'd argue their attack is a major issue. While they were still in the game today they were doing their usual pass it around the edge of the box, pass a bit more, try to thread the ball through a gap that's not there, try another pass and so on. Martial has one trick and usually shoots wide from it, Rashford is good but poor at taking all the chances he gets and Greenwood is an excellent finisher but at the moment doesn't offer much else.

The failure to turn so much attacking possession into goals gives massive encouragement that ordinary opponents should otherwise not get. They are then able to expose ManU's defensive weaknesses when they shouldn't really get a look in because they should be beaten by then. But so often, ManU's attack is so profligate that opponents are so often still in the game when it should have been all over by half time.

kimilseung Oct 4th 2020 5:25 pm

He will probably say no to the transfer, now, he doesn't want to play in the Championship next year.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 4th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12918437)
I'd argue their attack is a major issue. While they were still in the game today they were doing their usual pass it around the edge of the box, pass a bit more, try to thread the ball through a gap that's not there, try another pass and so on. Martial has one trick and usually shoots wide from it, Rashford is good but poor at taking all the chances he gets and Greenwood is an excellent finisher but at the moment doesn't offer much else.

The failure to turn so much attacking possession into goals gives massive encouragement that ordinary opponents should otherwise not get. They are then able to expose ManU's defensive weaknesses when they shouldn't really get a look in because they should be beaten by then. But so often, ManU's attack is so profligate that opponents are so often still in the game when it should have been all over by half time.

But is signing a player who should've been headed to MLS or China really going to fix that?

BristolUK Oct 4th 2020 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12918440)
But is signing a player who should've been headed to MLS or China really going to fix that?

Well the last time I saw him play he was taking chances at a rate far better than anyone at United since Rooney at his best.

So assuming he has the same sort of chances that Martial and Rashford get I would expect them to score 2 or 3 times as many goals as they normally do and that would comfortably put them in top four. That would be a simple improvement and then they could build properly from there.

kimilseung Oct 4th 2020 6:58 pm

shadenfreude coming back to bite

What a season

Mr Weeze Oct 4th 2020 7:06 pm

Goals per game is insane right now, even with the silly amount of pens

SpoogleDrummer Oct 4th 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12918464)
shadenfreude coming back to bite

I was worried when I heard Alisson was injured but I never took in to account how poor Gomez would be, he seems to be running in the wrong direction constantly trying to get people offside so when they're onside he has to stop, turn around and chase after them by which time they've already shot. I'd be tempted to put Fabhino back in defence against Everton.

DaveLovesDee Oct 4th 2020 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12918412)
Anyone else enjoying the Man U shambles?

I am now.... But I took Son out of my FF team because it said he was injured when I last looked.... :(

I'm enjoying the Liverpool game too, and I suspect Everton fans may be too! :p

spouse of scouse Oct 4th 2020 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12918481)
I am now.... But I took Son out of my FF team because it said he was injured when I last looked.... :(

I'm enjoying the Liverpool game too, and I suspect Everton fans may be too! :p

I want every Villa player drug tested immediately!

What a bloody horror of a match :cry_smile: