British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

Garbatellamike Apr 7th 2021 7:58 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12992249)
Apparently Madrid used TAA as a cone.

pretty much

SpoogleDrummer Apr 7th 2021 9:42 pm

I'm not sure who you're trying to convince that Trent is poor defensively? We already knew that but his attacking play usually makes up for it so long as the center backs are able to cope, unfortunately we know Nat Phillips is slow so he will get outpaced in games so Trent needs to be better than he is defensively and that's not a quick fix so the season was really written off when we didn't sign 2 center backs in January that were on par with Matip and Gomez and ready to go. We've already been linked to another defender or two for the summer so I suspect either Matip and Kabak will be leaving which will be harsh on Kabak as we've seen players learn from VVD and get better and he hasn't had that chance.

As for Trent going to the Euros, I'm not sure what the fuss is about, going to the England squad is what did Gomez in, I'd much rather Trent go nowhere near it and I don't want VVD going off with the Dutch team either.

I wish Gini's future could be cleared up though, he's very much in danger of doing the same as Reina, looking like he's going to Barca, we make plans to go on without them and then Barca don't try to sign him and he ends up ****ed.

Garbatellamike Apr 8th 2021 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12992496)
I'm not sure who you're trying to convince that Trent is poor defensively? We already knew that but his attacking play usually makes up for it so long as the center backs are able to cope, unfortunately we know Nat Phillips is slow so he will get outpaced in games so Trent needs to be better than he is defensively and that's not a quick fix so the season was really written off when we didn't sign 2 center backs in January that were on par with Matip and Gomez and ready to go. We've already been linked to another defender or two for the summer so I suspect either Matip and Kabak will be leaving which will be harsh on Kabak as we've seen players learn from VVD and get better and he hasn't had that chance.

As for Trent going to the Euros, I'm not sure what the fuss is about, going to the England squad is what did Gomez in, I'd much rather Trent go nowhere near it and I don't want VVD going off with the Dutch team either.

I wish Gini's future could be cleared up though, he's very much in danger of doing the same as Reina, looking like he's going to Barca, we make plans to go on without them and then Barca don't try to sign him and he ends up ****ed.

To answer your first question - Bristol - who claimed I made up TAA's defensive weakness and then said TAA had Sterling in his pocket all afternoon......

I think you analysis is sound on why he needs to improve given the rest of your defence. I think when VvD and Henderson play you can cover for him being a crap defender and he still brings much to your offensive game.

I think the comments by Klopp, Carragher et al about him being the best right back in the world and he should be in the England squad were wrong and disrespectful to Trippier, James, Walker, Wan Bisaka, Justin et al who are much more deserving of a place in the squad on current form. TAa is a good player but some of the hype around him is ridiculous particularly when he does his impression of a training cone in defence....

So in sum, I'm not having a pop at you red scouse lot on here just the Anti-citeh fan who has suceeded in irritating me with his stupidity....

Hope that clears it up?

Former Lancastrian Apr 8th 2021 8:56 pm

I wonder what the result would have been if we had played the BBC? Should be an interesting back 4 for the return leg.

Former Lancastrian Apr 10th 2021 2:14 pm

Stop taking the piss Citeh you know we won't make up 3 points tomorrow.

Garbatellamike Apr 10th 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12993476)
Stop taking the piss Citeh you know we won't make up 3 points tomorrow.

missed it as was playing golf so can't comment on the game

Former Lancastrian Apr 11th 2021 2:03 pm

Messi Lingard having a good 1st half.

Garbatellamike Apr 11th 2021 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12993807)
Messi Lingard having a good 1st half.

good player - surprised you loaned him to a rival club ;-)

Garbatellamike Apr 11th 2021 4:34 pm

wow another inexplicable blunder by the VAR official's guide dog - come on Rover you can do better than that - one suspects the Yernited fans are mildly upset by that one!!!

pommybird Apr 11th 2021 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12993875)
wow another inexplicable blunder by the VAR official's guide dog - come on Rover you can do better than that - one suspects the Yernited fans are mildly upset by that one!!!

Never mind we cocked all up again so Man U are all good! Bye bye Harry hope you like it at City!

Scamp Apr 12th 2021 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12993875)

I can actually accept that his arm wasn't moving completely naturally in that flick of Son's eye. Whether it was worth overturning a goal for is another debate completely.

I might be alone in that but I think the butthurt around the whole thing is just hot air being wasted and gives a *********** like Roy Keane a weekly platform to impart misery on the nation and argue with people over nothing.

The Son reaction was funny though, the Ole reaction to Son's reaction was funnier and the Jose reaction to Ole's reaction was probably the best. "Bread is bread and cheese is cheese" - Jose, the new Cantona.

Garbatellamike Apr 12th 2021 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12994042)
I might be alone in that but I think the butthurt around the whole thing is just hot air being wasted and gives a *********** like Roy Keane a weekly platform to impart misery on the nation and argue with people over nothing.

I think you are indeed in a minority with the first point but totally agree that Keane is a complete tosser.

Scamp Apr 12th 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12994069)
I think you are indeed in a minority with the first point but totally agree that Keane is a complete tosser.

His arm was not a running arm, he flicked it a bit out and backwards, in my opinion.

Garbatellamike Apr 12th 2021 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12994106)
His arm was not a running arm, he flicked it a bit out and backwards, in my opinion.

Don't disagree but I think they both flicked arms at each other - 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Scamp Apr 13th 2021 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12994332)
Don't disagree but I think they both flicked arms at each other - 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Never noticed Son's but will happily take your word for it.

Big Sam absolutely shat on our chest last night.
Any other manager in the league would have been punted by now if they'd gone on the run that Ralph has taken us down.
I still believe, but **** me, it's hard.