British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2019-2020 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2019-2020-football-thread-925647/)

civilservant Aug 17th 2020 12:01 pm

Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

I would dump DDG and start Henderson. Then again, I would have done that last year too.

We need more depth rather than category A players. Our first team is good enough overall (although I do want an upgrade on Lindelof) but we have nothing in the way of backups at all. When your second string of attacking players is Mata, Lingard and Ogahlo it tells you an awful lot. James might develop into a good player but right now he's very raw.

Not to mention Fred, who is total dogsh*t and has been since we spunked $50m on him!

Scamp Aug 17th 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12897907)
I would dump DDG and start Henderson. Then again, I would have done that last year too.

We need more depth rather than category A players. Our first team is good enough overall (although I do want an upgrade on Lindelof) but we have nothing in the way of backups at all. When your second string of attacking players is Mata, Lingard and Ogahlo it tells you an awful lot. James might develop into a good player but right now he's very raw.

Not to mention Fred, who is total dogsh*t and has been since we spunked $50m on him!

Lingard. Jesus ****ing wept. How is he not rotting at Aston Villa or West Brom or somewhere wank by now?

civilservant Aug 17th 2020 12:24 pm

I have no idea. He seems to have stuck around mostly though lack of interest, much like Phil Jones.

BristolUK Aug 17th 2020 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12897858)
So if you're United do you persist with De Gea (who appears to have turned completely shit, despite always being dodgy, he's just slipped from 'a good shot stopper but a bit suspect' to fully League 2 wank) and continue to shit on Romero like last night?

OR

Do you grow a pair and start Henderson?

There seems to be a lot of love for Romero among United fans. I don't understand it myself as almost every time he plays there's at least one bad mistake and it usually involves his feet. In today's game you just can't have that in a goalkeeper unless he makes wonder saves that more than make up for it. He doesn't.
De Gea was always dodgy on crosses but he more than made up for it. That doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Perhaps with Solskjaer picking Romero in the cups but then opting for De Gea "when it matters more" sends him a message that he's undroppable.

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12897907)

They can't keep all three and they can't expect Henderson to stay and be one of three.
I'm amazed that Romero has hung around so long. He's lost his international place and unless Henderson goes on loan somewhere else he (Romero) will be third choice. He must just be happy with the money. At £50k a week who wouldn't be? The Sevilla keeper is "only" on £19k a week.
It's not realistic to expect either of De Gea or Henderson to accept a back up role so they should cash in on De Gea, choose Henderson and use some of the money to buy another up and coming keeper to replace Romero ASAP. Or maybe someone like Krul could be tempted.

civilservant Aug 17th 2020 5:45 pm

It's not realistic to expect either of De Gea or Henderson to accept a back up role so they should cash in on De Gea
Who's going to take him? How much could we realistically get for him the form he's in? He;s another Pogba, in that he's on a truckload of money.

Maybe back to Athletico if they sell Oblak?

BristolUK Aug 17th 2020 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12898048)
Who's going to take him? How much could we realistically get for him the form he's in?

If he was older I'd agree but at 28 he has years left in him. You can't go bad as quick as this, I think he just needs a new challenge.

civilservant Aug 17th 2020 5:53 pm

But again, he's only going to go to a top club, and who other than Chelsea are in the market for a GK?

BristolUK Aug 17th 2020 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12898060)
But again, he's only going to go to a top club, and who other than Chelsea are in the market for a GK?

I wouldn't be looking at England. Real were the ones supposed to be in for him before, at least once. He's a step up from Courtois.
Rumours that Neuer wants a change, so why not Bayern?

Unless the fee was prohibitive I could see many takers around Europe. But you said you would dump him. To where? The bench? If he accepted that and fought to regain his place, great. But would that happen?

civilservant Aug 17th 2020 6:21 pm

By 'dump' I did mean 'sell' - I just don't see someone paying $50m for him.

Obviously until sold it would be the bench, should it come to that. Although that would probably do more harm to his (already very shaky) confidence.

I just think Henderson, who has had 2 good seasons out on loan (1 in the PL) deserves a shot as Number 1 for us. It might not work out, but I think he should get a run in the team.

BristolUK Aug 17th 2020 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12898077)
By 'dump' I did mean 'sell' - I just don't see someone paying $50m for him.

Obviously until sold it would be the bench, should it come to that. Although that would probably do more harm to his (already very shaky) confidence.

I just think Henderson, who has had 2 good seasons out on loan (1 in the PL) deserves a shot as Number 1 for us. It might not work out, but I think he should get a run in the team.

Absolutely.
I don't think there's a fee to be had for Romero whereas I believe there is one for De Gea. Removing De Gea's wage makes a difference too whereas Romero's makes little differnce.

That's why I'd be looking to sell De Gea and looking for a keeper who would be good enough as back-up and who would probably be happy with that role. Tim Krul would probably jump at the chance.

bowler Aug 17th 2020 7:58 pm

This sums it all up.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8d3eb4f8f3.jpg

el collado kid Aug 18th 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12898060)

I would like to see ddg at the saints for a year on lone,would be interesting.And of course utd pay his wages:thumbup:

BristolUK Aug 18th 2020 1:07 pm

David Squires gems this week

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0c0bf51b62.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6d3a842d59.png

el collado kid Aug 24th 2020 7:51 am

what another good final right team won.Nayma if he was not diving or falling over, he was getting grumpy or failing that he was crying what a giant cock!

Garbatellamike Nov 2nd 2020 9:25 pm

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

FA Youth Cup won at last and only a day after FA Woman's Cup won - C'MOM CITEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!