Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Feb 14th 2020, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

I was going to appear to be insensitive to the plight of the council hose inhabitants but it does appear that the 5th place in the EPL will be awarded a spot in the CL if the ban is upheld. Although we are 4 points off 5th spot but a game in hand we would still find a way to **** it up. I guess lots of bars will be having Tuesday, Wednesday night specials as no CL football on those nights in Manchester. Hope Citeh go on to win it this season
I guess there is some printer in the UAE now tasked to make bigger brown envelopes.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 10:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Isn't that a bit of a smokescreen? The guy has been inn custody since March last year and was charged with a bunch of offences last September.

It looks like a day between the two announcements after losing some sort of appeal too.
yeah he was appealingly against being tried for his hacking and lost so will be on trial putting UEFA in a difficult position.

Also worth noting that Citeh describe the appeal to the CAS as the first step in legal action.

Old Feb 14th 2020, 10:41 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I was going to appear to be insensitive to the plight of the council hose inhabitants but it does appear that the 5th place in the EPL will be awarded a spot in the CL if the ban is upheld. Although we are 4 points off 5th spot but a game in hand we would still find a way to **** it up. I guess lots of bars will be having Tuesday, Wednesday night specials as no CL football on those nights in Manchester. Hope Citeh go on to win it this season
I guess there is some printer in the UAE now tasked to make bigger brown envelopes.
don't get your hopes up just yet, legal battle just starting
Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the old FFP argument is that it protects the rich clubs.

So let's have a look.

Long time Super rich clubs - Barcelona, Real, ManU, Bayern and those suddenly receiving masses of investment - Man City, Chelsea, PSG.
Champions League Finals featuring two of these clubs happened in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012. That's four times in five years. Quite significant.

It's not happened in the seven years since. Funnily enough the FFP regs came in for the season that last saw two super rich clubs in the champions league final. If its intention really was to protect the super rich, it appears to have done the opposite if finals are anything to go by.

Atletico Madrid made two finals since then and CL novices Spurs were in a final too. Ajax, Roma, Monaco have been in the semis in the last three seasons. Only one of those is in the top 20 richest clubs. Roma 16.

Barca has not made a final since 2015 and that was their only final since FFP came in. PSG has done no better than a QF. Bayern hasn't been past a semi since 2013. I don't think much need be said about ManU. City have yet to crack the CL and have just one semi.

Arsenal and Dortmund are richer than Atletico but haven't achieved much.

Real Madrid aside the traditional super rich and the newly super rich really haven't shone.

The facts actually suggest that their advantages have been lessened a bit. FFP has certainly not benefited them.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 14th 2020 at 11:09 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
don't get your hopes up just yet, legal battle just starting
ManU won't get 5th. Not good enough, but in any case once it gets to CAS, I suspect the verdict will stand but the sanctions will be reduced to a fine, possibly suspended again.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:20 pm
Oscar nominated

yeah he was appealingly against being tried for his hacking and lost so will be on trial putting UEFA in a difficult position.

Not sure why that's difficult for UEFA. None of the charges relate to any City hacking and they are criminal charges.

Had the case against City been of a criminal nature, hacked emails would probably be inadmissible. That would have been difficult for UEFA. Had this been the original case it might have been embarrassing for UEFA.

CAS will likely view how the evidence was obtained not very favourably. But they will know that the original deal between UEFA and City was beneficial to City thanks to the falsified evidence.

As in my previous post, I think the verdict will stand but the sanction will be reduced.
Old Yesterday, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

My sky super six predictions
Leeds 2-1 Bristol city
Fulham 3-0 Barnsley
Birmingham 1-1 Brentford
Middlesbrough 1-0 Luton
Derby 3-1 Huddersfield
Preston 2-0 Millwall
P.S my tip is southampton to replace mac city
Old Yesterday, 12:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Not sure why that's difficult for UEFA. None of the charges relate to any City hacking and they are criminal charges.

Had the case against City been of a criminal nature, hacked emails would probably be inadmissible. That would have been difficult for UEFA. Had this been the original case it might have been embarrassing for UEFA.

CAS will likely view how the evidence was obtained not very favourably. But they will know that the original deal between UEFA and City was beneficial to City thanks to the falsified evidence.

As in my previous post, I think the verdict will stand but the sanction will be reduced.
I think basing a sanction on hacked emails will create legal difficulties when and if this goes to court. The other difficulty is that the corrupt numptey who led the investigation announced Citeh's guilt and the ban before he started the investigation and CAS are aware of this......

I think UEFA went for 2 years hoping CAS will fudge it and reduce the ban to a year so you and UEFA are on the same page.

I think Citeh will take it to every court in the lands if CAS don't throw it out.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Of course, the old FFP argument is that it protects the rich clubs.
not quite 100% right that assertion

it is designed to protect the established elite from emerging challenges.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 pm
Oscar nominated

I think basing a sanction on hacked emails will create legal difficulties when and if this goes to court.
So long as the emails are genuine - and if they weren't then I'm sure City would have said so - the only issue would be one of inadmissibility, according to how they were obtained.

That seems to be more common to criminal charges than matters such as this.

I'm not sure how it looks for the defending lawyers to say "my clients were guilty of the offences previously admitted but their further wrongdoing with dishonest matters relating to and influencing the original investigation and subsequent light sentence has only been revealed due to illegally obtaining the (genuine) emails. I submit the evidence of my client's further deception should be ruled inadmissible."

Perhaps the lawyer will word it differently.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

So long as the emails are genuine - and if they weren't then I'm sure City would have said so - the only issue would be one of inadmissibility, according to how they were obtained
Of course the issue is one of inadmissibility.....
Old Yesterday, 1:04 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ebt-12094.html

Examples of shady finance deals go back quite some time
Old Yesterday, 1:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ebt-12094.html

Examples of shady finance deals go back quite some time
yep
Old Yesterday, 1:55 pm
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the issue is one of inadmissibility.....
Fortunately, or not depending on the point of view, when joining a club with rules, those rules are still in effect anytime rules are broken, no matter how the evidence of rule-breaking came to light.

There'll be clauses in the membership package as to members agreeing that rules of civil or criminal law don't apply, or that if they do, cases can only be held in a certain jurisdiction. In UEFA's case, I believe is the Swiss court system UEFA members will have agreed to be bound by.
Old Yesterday, 2:05 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If City are out next year, will there still be 4 champions league spots?
if so Everton might be in with a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.