Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:36 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

I have tried to update my S2 to ICS/Android 4 using Kies.

I did this using a Samsung 'video' which tells you how to do it. Everything went as planned and according to the video.

However Kies now says it has the latest firmware PDA:KJ2/PHONE K14/CSC:KJ1 (XSJ) installed

The phone says in the settings 'about phone' details that it has Android version 2.3.5 and the build number is Gingerbread .JPK.J2

The interface etc is still the same as before ie as Gingerbread.

Ice Cream Sandwich is v4.0.4

When I go to Kies it insists the latest firmware is installed (which obviously it isn't as it is still G/bread)

So it looks like ICS isnt actually installed.

Anybody know what the score is/whether ICS can be installed in UAE/what I need to do?

Thanks for any useful advice

Victor in UAE
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:00 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Might have more luck posting in the Lab section, could move it if you wanted..

Plenty of geeks out there, using Android, who might know.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:40 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Might have more luck posting in the Lab section, could move it if you wanted..

Plenty of geeks out there, using Android, who might know.
If you would please, thanks
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

VM, I don't claim to be a geek and am certainly not too familiar with Android but since I have the same requirement I thought I'd let you know what I have discovered to date.

I bought a S2 last week in Dubai and the salesman said that ICS was not available in UAE yet but would soon be. I ignored this advise since I had already checked that unlocked S2's can be updated to ICS.

So, it seems that the upgrade is carrier dependent and really isn't available in Dubai yet although it is in UK (but perhaps not to TM/Orange users). I stuck my UK GiffGaff SIM in the handset and .... didn't work! Giff Gaff runs on the O2 network so (I guess) it *should* work but I don't know if the problem is that it's a virtual network or that I'm not in UK.

I was also advised that you have to register your handset on Samsung for the upgrade to work - I did and it still doesn't work.

So, I dunno other that flashing the upgrade to a rooted handset but I can't be bothered with all that.

Hope someone can offer advice!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:44 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Thanks Purdey. Sounds like it may not be accessible in UAE then.

Our Head of IT at work has the same phone (it was he who gave me the instructional vid clip).

I'll check with him at work and see if he has been able to do it.

Cheers

Victor
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:59 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I have a s2 so for what its worth, if you want to go down this route.

The Kies thing never worked for me, its a terrible program. Anyhow basically what I did was to root the phone then reflash it with the new software. Any of million forums will tell you how to root the phone, and also provide the new software to reflash it. (xda-developers.com for example)
On the plus side after doing this you can use apps like ad-away to remove all the banners etc from free applications, and also a few other types of apps which cannot be installed into non rooted phones.

Why ICS instead of GB? Do you think its going to make that much difference to the running of the phone? If your phone is rooted also there are many good spreadsheet lists you can find of the non essential bloat ware on the phone that can be safely removed.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:15 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for the rooting of the phone, I thought Samsung provided a root tool on their site to do that these days?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:14 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post

The Kies thing never worked for me, its a terrible program. Anyhow basically what I did was to root the phone then reflash it with the new software. Any of million forums will tell you how to root the phone, and also provide the new software to reflash it. (xda-developers.com for example)
On the plus side after doing this you can use apps like ad-away to remove all the banners etc from free applications, and also a few other types of apps which cannot be installed into non rooted phones.

Why ICS instead of GB? Do you think its going to make that much difference to the running of the phone? If your phone is rooted also there are many good spreadsheet lists you can find of the non essential bloat ware on the phone that can be safely removed.
Firstly thanks for your info.

I'm afraid the second paragraph went completely over my head. Rooting? Reflashing? never heard of them.

Bloatware? I'm guessing this is non-essential stuff which just takes up space?

Why ICS? just presumed it had some new features and wanted to update to bring my S2 up to speed (metaphorically if not literally).

I have gone back to our ICT guy today who is going to see what he can do with hs S2 and then let me know.

Thanks again. Victor
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:02 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
Firstly thanks for your info.

I'm afraid the second paragraph went completely over my head. Rooting? Reflashing? never heard of them.

Bloatware? I'm guessing this is non-essential stuff which just takes up space?

Why ICS? just presumed it had some new features and wanted to update to bring my S2 up to speed (metaphorically if not literally).

I have gone back to our ICT guy today who is going to see what he can do with hs S2 and then let me know.

Thanks again. Victor
rooting is essentially unlocking the phone, similar term to jailbreaking an iphone. allows you full control of the system. essential for some apps and removal of preinstalled apps or functions you don't want
reflashing is just loading the new system onto the chip
bloatware yes, non essential mobile or phone provider software that runs in the background.
ICS vs gb well imo unless your phone seems very slow the gains may be just limited to a few minor new features .

search the forum I mentioned and look to see who has carried it out and their comments. personally i am not bothered to do it
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful what you wish for. I updated my tablet to pics a month ago and it now won't rotate the screen and has several other problems. Looking at the interwebnet I am far from alone.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

MrRoo is an unknown quantity at this point

How come we have to root android phones to get the best out of them
and yet we put anti-root kits on our computers! (irony?)
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:47 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by MrRoo View Post
How come we have to root android phones to get the best out of them
and yet we put anti-root kits on our computers! (irony?)
root in this case i assume means access to the root directory something you should automatically have on your pc as an admin but not on your phone. not some random hacker having access
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

MrRoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I was being facetious-If you want Roms hacks for Android phones, even Chinese copys XDA-developers is the place to be
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:59 pm
Banned

zst3250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post

Well Said.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

VM - did you ever find out from your IT guy how to do this?

I decided not to pursue it but checked when I returned to UK about 2 weeks ago - same thing, no update available on both the handset and the computer.

Then....3 days ago the handset advised a s/w update was available and I allowed it to go ahead (having forgotten about ICS) and I now have 4.0.3 installed. And, guess what, it is significantly better than before! Gmail works much better, the splash screen is much nicer (big deal!), it locks on to wifi better and some apps seem to work differently/better. No downside so far.

I'm asking so that I can update to Jelly Bean when it's released officially.

Gave away my iPhone 4....

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.