Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page > my laptop is driving me mad!!!

my laptop is driving me mad!!!

Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:23 pm
Ooh wakka doo wakka day

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my laptop is driving me mad!!!

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Do a system restore, using a restore point from a few days before the changes took place.
Originally Posted by becks_r View Post
Hi - I tried that, it didn't work!
When you say it didn't work do you mean it didn't solve the problem or did everything look as if it was restoring only for you to get a message that the restore wasn't actually effective/successful? (usually with some suggestion that a firewall is to blame)

It's the latter I've always had.

The system restore has only ever worked for me when done in "safe mode"
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:19 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
When you say it didn't work do you mean it didn't solve the problem or did everything look as if it was restoring only for you to get a message that the restore wasn't actually effective/successful? (usually with some suggestion that a firewall is to blame)

It's the latter I've always had.

The system restore has only ever worked for me when done in "safe mode"
Yes - that was the problem! Everything seemed to be working, then when the laptop finally rebooted, had message saying it hadn't worked because it couldn't find a file! Didn't think to try it in safe mode . Wish I had, would have saved loads of time...

Anyway, I tried the suggestion from Chawkins99 about copying the user profile folders and then I deleted my login, deleted my login profile folders and then created a new login. Problem was, my profiles got in a right muddle. Turned out that a startup program on my laptop had my video folder path logged in it's settings. Every time I rebooted my laptop, the program would run and recreate my user video folder. So my new login somehow ended up using 3 different user profile folders - my old login folder, my new one and a TEMP folder that appeared from nowhere. It was bizarre!

So I started again, having found the startup program that was recreating my old login folder (that took some time!), I changed that setting and then deleted all the profile folders, including TEMP. Added a new user and all seems ok now, with only one set of new profile folders. Icons and font are all back to normal everywhere and no TEMP folder!

I just wish I had a clue how it happened. I have been gradually copying things over from my old profile folders, I am hoping nothing in them caused the problem.. I suppose I will know if suddenly everything gets huge again after a copy!

I did create a system restore point after I sorted the profile mess and have done a few since. Of course that will be a complete waste of time if they don't ever work, even in 'safe mode'. But hopefully I won't need them..

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it . Sorry it took a while to come back to you all - took time to find my login details
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:47 am
Ooh wakka doo wakka day

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's good.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 11:50 am
Normality almost back...

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Well that's good.
Good suggestion on your part!