Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

My 11 year old wants to download Minecraft.....yes or no?

My 11 year old wants to download Minecraft.....yes or no?

Old Oct 12th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default My 11 year old wants to download Minecraft.....yes or no?

I was naturally a bit cautious, re-ran a full scan on Microsoft Security Essentials, updates virus and spyware, and having run a few google searches became distinctly worried.
Not knowing enough about such things I didn't know to believe the ones saying 'it's bad news' or the ones saying 'no problem even with mods' (I had to google mods, the only ones I'd heard of previously were the likes of those found within BE!!
Anyone any suggetions/advice? I'll post our system details if anyone thinks it's important, but I'm guessing it'll be a straight do or don't???
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 11 year old wants to download Minecraft.....yes or no?

https://minecraft.net/ ? for PC?

Sure, nothing wrong with it. If you're looking to download a bent copy, maybe that's where the fear is coming from.

Plenty of mobile versions and knock off copies too.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
https://minecraft.net/ ? for PC?

Sure, nothing wrong with it. If you're looking to download a bent copy, maybe that's where the fear is coming from.

Plenty of mobile versions and knock off copies too.
I think I don't actually know what would be a bent copy, if I'm honest. I believe my 11 yo was told it was a free download so are all free downloads bent per se?? If so I'll ban him, if not how do I know a good one? !
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well if he's playing this, the full game, then no it ain't free.

It's €20 and the mobile editions are around $6.

A bent copy is a pirated copy and they're easy enough to get.

The demo is free though.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:37 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

minecraft is good for you. it really explore kids imagination.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...boca.tocabuild

For the Toca knockoff version on Android, there's a iOS version too which is only a buck. Lot simpler though, but you get the idea.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just get the version from the minecraft web site

You'll need to get upto speed quickly, once there into the game its becomes a sort of social right of passge into the new religion

You'll probally need to keep upto speed with the upgrade if you want any peace and quite, texture pac's are easy but stay away from the Mod's unless you comfortable inserting them

You'll quickly learn about life acording to minecraft, the song and the videos if you haven't already

Watch out for the more adult on-line sites, but there are loads of good one out thre for all ages. A little bit of parent control is advised as they take there first steps into on-line gaming, but by that time threat of game removal does help focus the mind into making smart choices

Dowen load the demo from the Minecraft web site, it has a time limit, if he/she is doing all there chores by the end of the demo period, then buy the new leaverage tool its good value

Enjoy

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 13th 2013 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok so it sounds as though I should avoid freebies, and offer up a paid-for as an incentive he can earn around the house or via homework successes..........thereafter we have to be vigilant as to what he bumps into online?? and/or who??
Sorry I'm just not quite savvy enough .. yet!
Will he be playing against other players online? With communication between them or simply no contact other than via the game?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

https://minecraft.net/game/howtoplay

Read and watch that, to get an idea of what it is all about.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
Ok so it sounds as though I should avoid freebies, and offer up a paid-for as an incentive he can earn around the house or via homework successes..........thereafter we have to be vigilant as to what he bumps into online?? and/or who??
Sorry I'm just not quite savvy enough .. yet!
Will he be playing against other players online? With communication between them or simply no contact other than via the game?
If you are not too savvy about online gaming one simple, easy low tech approach is to make sure that your child is in a public area of the home - ie not shut away in their bedroom, when they are online.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rebs View Post
If you are not too savvy about online gaming one simple, easy low tech approach is to make sure that your child is in a public area of the home - ie not shut away in their bedroom, when they are online.
Thankfully the strength of our wifi signal will probably dictate he rarely does even homework in his room if it involves the internet......thick walls and all that!!!