Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Help!

Help!

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 1:36 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help!

Having had great help with an issue I had in the past can I push my luck and ask for more help? I want to convert a zip file with lots of documents in it to a pdf file so that I can send it to someone.I'm at a complete loss as to how to do it. It is on a Mac by the way. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!

That's a very good question, and although I'm a regular Mac user, one I don't have a direct answer for as I've never had a requirement to convert zip files to pdf.
I'm aware of several programs available for this on PC, namely ezyZip and PDFConverter. Not sure about similar Mac programs.
Just checked on my Macs running OS Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, and all the .zip files I have are applications downloaded from the internet, so I'd never require to convert these to pdf.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but why don't you just forward the complete zip file to your correspondent, then if they are on a Mac or Pc, their computer should then unzip the file in order to read them, which they can then convert to pdf if required.
I'm unsure about zip files, but in general converting most files is simple on a Mac, as the OS has a built-in function for converting files, including to pdf. Whether it's a Word, Excel or similar document, or an image file, you open the document or image file, then from the top toolbar select File/Print/Save as PDF - easy-peesy. Tutorial Here:
:

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 4:12 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
That's a very good question, and although I'm a regular Mac user, one I don't have a direct answer for as I've never had a requirement to convert zip files to pdf.
I'm aware of several programs available for this on PC, namely ezyZip and PDFConverter. Not sure about similar Mac programs.
Just checked on my Macs running OS Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, and all the .zip files I have are applications downloaded from the internet, so I'd never require to convert these to pdf.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but why don't you just forward the complete zip file to your correspondent, then if they are on a Mac or Pc, their computer should then unzip the file in order to read them, which they can then convert to pdf if required.
I'm unsure about zip files, but in general converting most files is simple on a Mac, as the OS has a built-in function for converting files, including to pdf. Whether it's a Word, Excel or similar document, or an image file, you open the document or image file, then from the top toolbar select File/Print/Save as PDF - easy-peesy. Tutorial Here: HERE :
Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question the recipient can only receive a pdf file which is why I need to change my zip file. I shall have a look at your link. Thanks again.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question the recipient can only receive a pdf file which is why I need to change my zip file. I shall have a look at your link. Thanks again.
Interesting. I'm intrigued to know what device your recipient is using? I was under the impression that zip files are managed on Android phones and tabets, and should be compatible with all devices running modern operating systems: Android, Windows, MacOS and iOS.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Interesting. I'm intrigued to know what device your recipient is using? I was under the impression that zip files are managed on Android phones and tabets, and should be compatible with all devices running modern operating systems: Android, Windows, MacOS and iOS.
I haven't a clue what system they use, it is a publishers. I did look at the link you suggested and yes, it does work easily but only for one document. I have 32 to send; All in one folder! Thanks again.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

It could be interesting to hear what advice Calman014 or Another can offer.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 9:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
I haven't a clue what system they use, it is a publishers. I did look at the link you suggested and yes, it does work easily but only for one document. I have 32 to send; All in one folder! Thanks again.
Can you convert all files to pdf - then send those in a zip file?

Only other thing I can think of is creating one doc from the 32 files if possible, and then create a pdf of that. I think word allows you to add files into one document if they are word, PP, or excel (may be more but not tried it with any others), then print to pdf?
Old Jan 4th 2021, 4:05 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

No you can't convert a zip to a pdf. A zip is like a shopping bag full of groceries, it just holds compressed things, you can't convert a shopping bag into a tin of peas.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Can you convert all files to pdf - then send those in a zip file?
This ^

Extract the ZIP file into a folder on your Mac. Open each document and "print" with a PDF printer into another folder. Zip the new folder of PDF files. Send it.

Bit of a pain with 32 files, borderline whether it's worth scripting/automating.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. Here is the procedure.

1. Make a folder with a unique name.
2. Put a COPY of the zip file (not the original) in there and "extract' the file there.
3. Delete the copied ZIP file that was used inside the folder.
--
You should now be in the position of having a folder containing all your documents.

Seeing as you have 32 documents to send it would be sensible to send them either individually, or in batches of 3 - 4 documents max.
This has to do with the physical size of the documents and the capacity of e-mail to handle it. OK its a lot of work, but if you want it to be reliable, this is the way to do it.

Personally I would put all 32 in sequence and add a number to the filename, for example:

documentname_1.doc
documentname_2.doc

Etc.

I am presuming you are using either Microsoft Word (or another Office programme) to make your documents.

Select your first document and open it.
Then choose PRINT and SAVE AS PDF.
The file should retain the filename with number but now there will be a .PDF version.

You can mail them individually.

--

If you wish to make batches of documents follow the procedure below.

Go to the first document and choose "OPEN WITH"

Choose the App "PREVIEW" (which is a standard App on the Mac) it can also be called up using Spotlight (the magnifying glass) or by choosing from an initial list of apps. If it is not there choose "Other"...and it should show up.

Once PREVIEW is open, select "THUMBNAILS" at the top of the page and a column will open on the left.

Drag the required (PDF) documents into this column in the required sequence.

SAVE the document with a new preferred name. (Example: documents_1-4.pdf)

Send it by e-mail.

Possibly a lot of work requiring a pen and notepad to ensure you sent the right documents, but it will work.

Good Luck.