Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Job Offers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Carer Compagnon, Cognac area

Looking for a Carer Compagnon, Cognac area

Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

kpms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a Carer Compagnon, Cognac area

Look for a lady compagnon carer in the Cognac area for my mum. She is a delightful lady in her 60's who is young minded and interested in walking, anything art related, gardening and reading. Interested? I would love to hear from you.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a Carer Compagnon, Cognac area

Originally Posted by kpms
Look for a lady compagnon carer in the Cognac area for my mum. She is a delightful lady in her 60's who is young minded and interested in walking, anything art related, gardening and reading. Interested? I would love to hear from you.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can you give more details and circumstances? The word carer implies medical/physical care which doesn't seem compatible with your mum's interest in walking/gardening. Would it be live-in or just a few hours a day? Are you yourself in France? Does your Mum speak French? The Assistante Sociale in your Town Hall can put you in touch with the various French organisations.
Sorry I can't help personally....
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Forum, Ditto to what dmu said The Assistante Sociale can be quite helpful.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dmu and Ka Ora!. We are in touch with the local french support.

My mum has early onset Alzheimers and although she will need medical/physical care in the future thankfully we are not there yet. I, with my young family, have moved from Oz to France to help my parents however we are trying to establish a network of support with the knowledge that we are going to need it!

Mum did speak french very well unfortunately one of her symptoms of this disease is difficulty in articulating herself. She understands a great deal more in both french and english than is initially apparent. Thankfully she has a great sense of humour. Having been a very intelligent, practical person she has always been active, however now she needs to have a right hand to be with her while she's doing things now as she easily loses track and finds this frustrating.

Alzheimer's is a disease that slowly and steadily takes away your capability. However, it is true the saying "use it or lose it". Often it can isolate the carers as others don't want to intrude or disturb. However, the more socially and physically active the better the quality of life for all. That's my goal. This disease has stolen the retirement dream of my parents but we're doing are best to make the most of every day.

If you know of any one who may be interested in spending some paid time with my mum, please pass this on.

Cheers, K
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

have you also posted on more regional forums where you may have a higher success rate??
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
have you also posted on more regional forums where you may have a higher success rate??
Not as yet as I haven't actually found any . However, if you know of any in the Charente area would be grateful. Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Not as yet as I haven't actually found any . However, if you know of any in the Charente area would be grateful. Thanks
have sent you a pm
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:05 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dmu and Ka Ora!. We are in touch with the local french support.

My mum has early onset Alzheimers and although she will need medical/physical care in the future thankfully we are not there yet. I, with my young family, have moved from Oz to France to help my parents however we are trying to establish a network of support with the knowledge that we are going to need it!

Mum did speak french very well unfortunately one of her symptoms of this disease is difficulty in articulating herself. She understands a great deal more in both french and english than is initially apparent. Thankfully she has a great sense of humour. Having been a very intelligent, practical person she has always been active, however now she needs to have a right hand to be with her while she's doing things now as she easily loses track and finds this frustrating.

Alzheimer's is a disease that slowly and steadily takes away your capability. However, it is true the saying "use it or lose it". Often it can isolate the carers as others don't want to intrude or disturb. However, the more socially and physically active the better the quality of life for all. That's my goal. This disease has stolen the retirement dream of my parents but we're doing are best to make the most of every day.

If you know of any one who may be interested in spending some paid time with my mum, please pass this on.

Cheers, K
You should consider contacting the Maisons Départementales des Personnes Handicapées as your mum will probably qualify for disability status, Once you have this a fair bit of help will find you/her, It can take a while to get it as they are a little slow in processing applications.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again,
There's a branch of Alzheimer France in Cognac
http://www.francealzheimer.org/pages...ons.php?dpt=20
that could help.
And apart from Ka Ora's good suggestion, you could also apply to your local "Aide à Domicile" organizations, e.g. Présence Verte, although their main duties are usually to do housework and shopping.
All the best!