Reload this Page >

Rather complex question???

Rather complex question???

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:47 am
Just Joined

remb6464 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rather complex question???

Hello

I have always been fascinated by Japan and seriously intend on paying the country a visit one day.

Here is the thing.

I was convicted of DUI (Drink Driving) a few years ago in Ireland.

(Yes it was stupid, and I am fully aware of that fact).

Never been in trouble before that, or again since.

Just the once off.

But here is where things get a bit more complicated.

I have dual nationalities.

Both Irish and British.

And I have a clean British record.

So if I travel to Japan on my British passport including a copy of my clean British record.

Will I have much chance of getting in?

I have read posts of people ticking Yes (for criminal convictions) on the arrival card and being sent home for being honest on relatively minor offences.

In my experience and not just in this instance, I have learned that law is just a game that everyone plays.

Would it be wiser that I just keep my mouth shut and tick No (for criminal convictions) on the arrival card?

You're views on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Old Jun 6th 2013, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Azumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really nice
Default Re: Rather complex question???

Do not tick "Yes" for convictions. You will be sent home with a 95% certainty. If you don't want to lie then just don't tick either box. If they ask you at the counter then just say no. When you apply for a visa then you will need to be honest as they can run a criminal record check in co-operation with the British police.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:10 am
Just Joined

My God, I had forgotten all about this post.

It's been at least six months! lol

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

I ended up changing holiday destination in the end.

Didn't want to risk flying to Japan to be sent home on the next available flight!

Out of curiosity though.

If you get a Japanese visa granted by the Japanese embassy in London say for instance.

Does this guarantee you entry into Japan or is it down to the individual immigration officer on the day ?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Azumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really niceAzumi123 is just really nice

It's still down to the immigration officer for the final word. It will make your entry smoother though. They won't be so bothered about proof of funds or an address you will be staying at. What they'll look out for in this situation is things like : is the guy drunk, does he present well, is he well mannered, is he humble... you know ? generally how you come across as a person.
Turn up anywhere drunk and shouting and you'll likely be turned around though.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by remb6464
My God, I had forgotten all about this post.

If you get a Japanese visa granted by the Japanese embassy in London say for instance.

Does this guarantee you entry into Japan or is it down to the individual immigration officer on the day ?
According to the tv program Border Security aired here weekly immigration can review your visa and accept or reject based on their findings.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Hello

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is very much appreciated.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:20 pm
AW1
Just Joined

AW1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by remb6464

Britain has a visa waver with Japan. Tourists turn up at immigration and are processed there and then.