Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Is your heating on yet?

Is your heating on yet?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your heating on yet?

Finally stuck ours on this morning. Its has been on the last 2 weeks about 3 times for an hour or so but this morning it was set for 7.30 kick off. I hate grey miserable skies we get here or we did in when i lived in Vancouver during winter. A lot of people i knew from Alberta, where it gets very sub-zero, would say Vancouver felt colder around 5c and damp.

Having said that there's not a cloud today!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
We have lit the fire in the kitchen (and had roasted chestnuts) and switched on the pellet stove for the last three nights, my sisters only left last Tuesday and we were enjoying up to 27 degrees here near Lecce while they were here. In the winter, without heating, the temperature in the house goes down to 9 degrees.
Likewise here in San Vito, however we had gas delivered yesterday, and the heating went straight on. For the first two years we were here we didn't realise how many leaks there were in our system, and we had a much more efficient boiler fitted at the beginning of the year, so we are looking for mega gas savings this winter.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My Mum has just retired and mentioned the heating allowance in the UK. I don't think Italian pensioners get anything like that - do they?
Don't know about the Italian pensioners, but we get the UK one here. We deliberately waited to become resident here until just after hubby qualified in the UK - once you have it they can't take it away, but leave the UK before entitlement age and you never get it.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Well it was 2degrees this morning, the floors were freezing.... we have four seasons quilts and I only just swapped the summer ones for the spring/ autumn ones and I woke up all snuggled up to dh this morning, which gives him completely the wrong idea!!

We are trying to hold out on the heating so jumpers and socks are the order of the day. Gas costs a fortune here and now that dhs company are giving us an allowance for bills rather than just paying the bills we need to be careful as they don't seem to have quite grasped exactly how expensive gas is here compared to the Uk or how variable the exchange rate can be.

I've washed the winter coats today and they've been out drying all day, cos walking to school is a bit nippy in the mornings and dd especially cannot function if she's cold. Ah well, I'm sure we'll cope, it just seems sudden this year...
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Don't know about the Italian pensioners, but we get the UK one here. We deliberately waited to become resident here until just after hubby qualified in the UK - once you have it they can't take it away, but leave the UK before entitlement age and you never get it.
Thanks Margaret, I will call them on Monday to make a claim, my OH qualified and received the winter fuel payment until we left the UK in November 2007, I told them (by e-mail) we were moving to Italy and asked if he still qualified but never got a reply.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

debra is an unknown quantity at this point

Friday it was cracking the flags here, loads of people sunbathing and swimming. Yesterday the temperatures dramatically dropped, I was wrapped in blankets yesterday evening We only have the bombola heating so you have to be sitting right next to it to feel warm. It really is expensive last winter we were going through nearly 2 of them a week, which was over 70 euros, just to heat one tiny room. It also chucks out so much water so eventually you end up with nice mouldy walls!!

Anyway just going to stay wrapped in my blankets, returning to the UK on Friday. Can't say I am looking forward to the cold, wet, grey days, but central heating YES and at an affordable price. I only have a tiny back to back house there but for a months heating and hot water around 63.00 pounds. A lot of my friends back in the UK complain about the cost of gas....... they should come here!!!

Well better get back to the packing, lorry arrives on Tuesday so loads to do. At least the exercise will keep me warm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

debra Buy your self a ZIBRO liquid Heater...the heater was 119 euros and 20 litrers liquid was 40euros And it does not smell at all This is the Image

Ours has the controls on the top and is in grey (was on Offer from selfitalia)

They are little about 2ft of the ground and it heats our room great (quite a large room Lounge Diner)

It has a Timer, heat controll its great..Wish i had seen them last year
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:20 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
debra Buy your self a ZIBRO liquid Heater...the heater was 119 euros and 20 litrers liquid was 40euros And it does not smell at all This is the Image

http://www.bm5.co.uk/zibro.jpg

Ours has the controls on the top and is in grey (was on Offer from selfitalia)

They are little about 2ft of the ground and it heats our room great (quite a large room Lounge Diner)

It has a Timer, heat controll its great..Wish i had seen them last year
Doesn't it put a lot of moisture into the room?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PAT M
Thanks Margaret, I will call them on Monday to make a claim, my OH qualified and received the winter fuel payment until we left the UK in November 2007, I told them (by e-mail) we were moving to Italy and asked if he still qualified but never got a reply.
Well we didn't officially tell them we were moving, but as long as you live in the EU, and lived in the UK up to the qualifying date, then you are entitled.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by ernesto
Doesn't it put a lot of moisture into the room?
No what we do is a small bowl of water on top of the heater and It's fine...
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:25 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I didn't understand that response either.
This ZIBRO thing, what fuel does it use?
Does it put a lot of humidity into the room as a bombola gas powered heater does?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Is it this? (From the self catalogue)
STUFA ZIBRO SRE 230 ELETTRONICA
Descrizione prodotto
Stufa laser, Zibro SRE230, combustione a iniezione elettronica, 3000 W, vol. risc. 110m3.
codice
sottocodicenome prodottoeuroq.tà8713508744247
8713508744247STUFA ZIBRO SRE 230 ELETTRONICA 339,00
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

We've had ours on for a couple of weeks now. My other half is Italian and she really feels the cold. Mind you i'm feeling it also We have marble floors everywhere, its great in the summer because the house is a little bit cooler but i think it might be a problem in winter.
We made enquirys about a wood burner on one of the outside walls. I thought that the building regs would allow for one of those steel duct chimneys to be installed to remove the fumes but our local builder said it has to connect into a proper chimney. They don't seem very flexible when it comes to rules! As we don't have a chimney we're stuffed!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris120
I didn't understand that response either.
This ZIBRO thing, what fuel does it use?
Does it put a lot of humidity into the room as a bombola gas powered heater does?
Sorry did wrong qupte for ernesto: I asked about the humidity factor and I got told as long as you put a small bowl of water on top or on the floor next to it you will be fine, same goes for Stufa bombola.

Yes Chris it was from the self catalogue...Small grey with the buttons on top

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.