Work in italy

Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Broms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in italy

Hello,

I wonder if you could help me, I am looking to move to Milan to be my girlfriend soon and wanted to know what sort of jobs I could do over there.......see the problem is that my italian is very basic and I have only just started to learn intensely, so any sugesstions about who would employ me or the type of jobs I could get would be so so helpful?? (i know what the unemployment rate is in italy, but is there any glimer of hope?)

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks
Mark
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Work in italy

Hi Mark,

Probably the most common route for someone in your situation is to teach English - might be worth contacting some language schools as many of them are currently looking for tutors for the new term and courses seem to start around October. You do not always need to have qualifications to do this work - I have one friend here who has just been taken on by a language school and she has no language training at all.

The other option could be to contact any global companies (UK or American) based in Milan that may take on English speakers - maybe your girlfriend can research that side of things for you.

Good luck with your move over and your search for a job

Carrie
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

MattyC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Work in italy

Hi Broms

at least you're moving to the right part of Italy to find work, there is much more in the north. Do plenty of research. You should look for similar companies to the one that you work for now, competitors and email them a cv. Try to get an Italian friend to write you a cover letter in Italian or get your CV translated. I did the same thing 2 years ago and came out on holiday and had an interview at the same time. It really depends on your skills, qualifications and experience rather than your language I found. My company, who happen to be American were happy to have me in the office as I can be useful for checking stuff and translating stuff as well as my normal duties. They also gave me all the overseas customers to look after. In situations like this being English is an asset.

I'm toying with the idea of starting up a CV translation service as my wife is Italian and we are both bilingual now....would it be useful do you think?

Good luck,

MattyC