work ideas?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough
Default work ideas?

Any suggestions as to where/what work I could be looking for whilst learning Italian, but still talking mainly in English? No problem with citizenship as I'm marrying my Italian guy next month I don't expect to have the same type of work that I had in England (airline agent) but something, just to keep me busy would be good. My nearest 'big' town is La Spezia. I've looked through some employment websites but no joy so far. Wondering what others have done. Thanks, appreciate any ideas! Sands
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work ideas?

Hi Sands

If your Italian isn't good you'll have trouble finding a job. The only thing that comes to mind would be teaching English.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, it's sort of what I expected. I guess my knowledge of Afrikaans (I spent my teens/early 20s in South Africa) won't really cut it .
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

English is a major hurdle for Italians never mind Afrikaans! Once you've got a good grip of the language you might find something at Pisa airport, it's getting busier every year. If it's not for one of the airlines then handling desks is that your sort of thing?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Absolutely my thing - I've been taking abuse from passengers at airports for years Seriously, I used to work at Heathrow airport and then Gatwick when I moved from London to Brighton as a ticket agent and I notice every time coming back to Italy how much Pisa airport seems to be expanding, so it's a good incentive, but jeez, it's not an easy language is it, lovely as it sounds!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:07 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sands
Absolutely my thing - I've been taking abuse from passengers at airports for years Seriously, I used to work at Heathrow airport and then Gatwick when I moved from London to Brighton as a ticket agent and I notice every time coming back to Italy how much Pisa airport seems to be expanding, so it's a good incentive, but jeez, it's not an easy language is it, lovely as it sounds!
Hello Sands,

An inside view if you would, on the check-in desk how do you decide if to charge for excess baggage...?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

It really depends on which airline you fly with, but most are a lot lot stricter than they used to be and don't go thinkin' you can hide a bag behind you cos we're all very canny to that. Ryan Air have the least baggage allowance but are the most flexible normally. Try and fly American carriers in lieu of British ones as the allowance is calculated in pieces instead of weight. And try and fly into regional airports where they are more laid back than giants like MAN, LGW, LHR. Always be polite to the check in staff and you'll normally get what you want, within reason. Moving on .... never make a joke about bombing the aircraft or joke about the security questions you are asked because in this day and age you'll be dead in the water before you have a chance to even hand over your ticket. If you're travelling long haul, try and look reasonably smart cos then you might be considered for an upgrade if the flight is overbooked, and NEVER NEVER make jokes about Arsenal within earshot because we have spies everywhere
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hi Duffer, just wondered if you had found my airline check in answer sufficient, or did you need more info? Btw, who would have thought we (liverpool/arsenal) - sorry to put them on the same line ) would be watching two 'lesser' teams play for the Cup instead. Think I'll change my English loyalties to cricket. Oops, maybe not. Well maybe rugby then? Wait a minute......
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:18 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

hi Duffer, just wondered if you had found my airline check in answer sufficient, or did you need more info? Btw, who would have thought we (liverpool/arsenal) - sorry to put them on the same line ) would be watching two 'lesser' teams play for the Cup instead. Think I'll change my English loyalties to cricket. Oops, maybe not. Well maybe rugby then? Wait a minute......
Hi Sands,

Well after this weekend we're all in the same boat (meaning Man Ure, Chelski et al)! It was a great weekend of FA cup action! Tonight is the big one though...

Thanks for the other info. Yeah I know you lot are a crafty bunch! do you secretly size up the queue in advance looking out for travelling parties who may pool the baggage??

I have been using Ryanair and BA mainly from Treviso/Brescia to Stansted or Verona to Gatwick. I have never ever had any problems in Italy when over the allowance - it's always on the return to Italy even when I am returning with less weight. And it's always with Ryanair! It's too stressful flying with them - more so for the OH who worries too much about these things. The last couple of times flying on my own I have tried Easyjet - I had never used them but they were miles better than Ryanair and I find them much cheaper.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree, Easy are much nicer and more efficient and I have also noticed that it's easier to sneak in some xbaggage from here! H'ever, I fondly remember flying back from Bournemouth airport after visiting a friend, with 8 extra kilos, consisting mainly of M & S clothing for the OH, frozen pork sausages, Danish bacon et al, which went completely unnoticed or uncared for by the ckin staff. So, for 'flexible', possibly read 'uninterested'!

Good telly tonight then
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:08 pm
Pull my finger

Good telly tonight then
Yep! I'll go to the gym beforehand to show my colours and to let off some steam. I get really worked up for these matches. It's too stressful
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

YOU get worked up??!! Imagine what it's like being an Arsenal supporter!! Happy match viewing for later