Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

work contract Italy or UK?

work contract Italy or UK?

Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

gchain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work contract Italy or UK?

I am a US citizen married to an Italian Citizen and we are living in the USA for more than 10 years. I work for a multinational and are been offered to move to Europe. Obviously, due to my wife's family conections to Italy, there is a strong preference to work out of Italy although I have a choice to live in Spain, UK or Ialy

My question may be a complex one, but initially, I am wondering what is more advangeous from a contract standpoint. A contract based in the UK or in Italy. From my limited knowledge, Italy has higher taxes than UK but on the other hand does it have more social protections? I am not even sure of the immigration part, but I am assuming that is a non-issue considering my wife is Italian.

I realize this is a very open question but any input that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to wrap my head around this so I can influence as much as possible during he contract negotiations
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

munka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work contract Italy or UK?

Hi gchain

I do not know a lot about this, but I can tell you from my own experience that the tax you pay is based on where you are resident, not where you are paid.

I am from the UK and on a 2 year secondment in Italy. I am paid in GBP in the UK. However, from a tax perspective I am resident in Italy. Therefore I need to declare all income - personal (from any properties etc) and employment - in Italy.

In Italy I am liable for tax on income earned in Italy and overseas. My employment income is classed as being earned in Italy even though it is paid in the UK. In the UK I am liable for tax on income earned in the UK.

There may be other benefits to having a UK contract and working in Italy, but I do not think there will be any significant tax saving from it

Hope that helps
Munka
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: work contract Italy or UK?

Originally Posted by gchain
I am not even sure of the immigration part, but I am assuming that is a non-issue considering my wife is Italian.

Hi.
In theory they should be the same rules, both being EU countries. However I wouldn't consider it a "non-issue" in either place. As a non-EU citizen you will need to sort out a permit.

Aayway do everything in the UK and only come to Italy for your holidays, preferably with wife's family.

Cheers