Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

what's this about?

what's this about?

Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's this about?

Originally Posted by chris120
by kids under 16 years old. The only improvement I could think of is if they would give me an assault rifle so I could shoot a few of the thieving scum myself.
May I remind you Chris that these are children. So are you are saying that you would shoot a child just because they have stolen a few items? Perhaps you've come to the wrong country. You should have gone to the USA.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Katu,
You’re wrong, it wont “alienate all immigrants” for instance it hasn’t alienated me or any of my expat friends and my Italian friends know that just as much thieving is done by their own countrymen as foreigners.
You also forgot to add the word “illegal” into your statement regarding Albanians and Africans.
It is a matter of record that certain elements of the community commit most of the petty crime. This is not a racist statement; I worked for 5 years at the NATO base in Decimomannu, it was run by the Italian Air Force (AMI) but had large fixed and visiting contingents of RAF, USAF and German Air Force. Although I am a Brit I was working for the Italians and so was in a unique position of being a member of both officers clubs (AMI and RAF). The AMI security often told me that if a petty crime had been committed on base then all they had to do was round up all the Brits wandering around the camp at night and the culprit, 99 times out of 100, would be within that group – I’m sure they were right.
In any case this isn’t the first time the army has been deployed on the streets, it has happened at least 10 times in the last 20 years and as for Italians not being harassed by the Army believe it or not the majority of prison inmates in Italy are, guess what – Italian.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:56 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about the burglary problems. So the police can't deal with it then I take it? Why not and what can the army do that is different?

As for shooting thieving scum can't you apply for a gun licence?

Personally I like the idea of a few armed soldiers about the place. I have been burgled three times in the past and in the last month my neighbours on either side have had attempted forced entries. My security company tells me that 99% of house burglaries are committed by the same people (whom they know), are done Mon to Friday between 0900 and 1230 (houses most likely to be empty then), and by kids under 16 years old. The only improvement I could think of is if they would give me an assault rifle so I could shoot a few of the thieving scum myself.

I have yet to meet an Italian, or expat, who doesn’t welcome this extra security.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:03 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

anyway, Italy has already got armed soldiers on the streets called Carabinthingumybobs - aren't they a branch of the military like the Gendarmes in France?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Carabinieri
and we also the Polizia Locale
and also the Guardia di Finanza .... but you see less of them around - although they too have the right to stop you and fine you !
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the same thing, but the army with their AK-47's are always hanging around the Eiffel Tower, and occasionally elsewhere; that alone can feel a little intimidating.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

[quote=treskillard;6649043]I'm sorry to hear about the burglary problems. So the police can't deal with it then I take it? Why not and what can the army do that is different?

I take it you haven't been burgled yet then? Army guarding prime spots releases regular police to patrol in other locations, preferably on foot or bicycle.

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
May I remind you Chris that these are children. So are you are saying that you would shoot a child just because they have stolen a few items? Perhaps you've come to the wrong country. You should have gone to the USA.
Grow up - please

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Not quite the same thing, but the army with their AK-47's are always hanging around the Eiffel Tower, and occasionally elsewhere; that alone can feel a little intimidating.
I like it when terrorists and pickpockets feel a little intimidated.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Carabinieri
and we also the Polizia Locale
and also the Guardia di Finanza .... but you see less of them around - although they too have the right to stop you and fine you !
Correct, FYI the Carabinieri are no longer a branch of the Army, that changed a couple of years ago. They are now a force in the own right same as the Navy or Air Force.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry Chris but you need to grow up! My current studies of youth justice are about ignorant people like you!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
I'm sorry Chris but you need to grow up! My current studies of youth justice are about ignorant people like you!
Have you been burgled, or worse, yet ?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

I've been abused by men (family members), physically and emotionally. I think that's far worse than someone nicking your tv.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

It is, I agree, but its not something that a policing force can stop easily if its within the family.
Being burgled, for a woman (according to my wife), has similarities. Its not that you just find your TV missing but usually broken glass everywhere, drawers, wardrobes rifled through with discarded clothing etc scattered everywhere. Intrinsically valueless jewelry thrown around, taps left running with water everywhere, furniture turned over and broken, maybe human waste, maybe they kill the dog etc
But enough, I salute you and the best of luck with your studies.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:09 am
down under where

Have you been burgled, or worse, yet ?
Yes I've been burgled in the UK and I don't recall thinking that getting the army on the streets would be a good solution. Unless things are getting so bad in Italy. Are they really that bad?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Italian newspapers and TV recently reported that surveys indicate that Italians have never felt more vulnerable in their own homes or in public places since the last war. This is what its all about, winning votes for the next election not harassing tourists or legal immigrants.

My guess is that people in the UK probably feel the same way.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Italian newspapers and TV recently reported that surveys indicate that Italians have never felt more vulnerable in their own homes or in public places since the last war.

My guess is that people in the UK probably feel the same way.
I very much doubt that having the army on the streets will make anyone feel safer, more likely give them a reason to think that they are unsafe.

We are clearly never going to agree with each other on this issue, but I can't help but think that immigrants applauding extreme measures to get rid of other immigrants are akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katu,
You continue to fail to differentiate between legal and illegal immigration. This is the whole point.
Time will tell, this is a 6 month experiment so lets see what the crime stats say after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.