Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What to expect from estate agents?

What to expect from estate agents?

Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

In love with forests is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to expect from estate agents?

Hi all,
I am hoping to visit Tuscany for about a month this year and plan on checking out properties for sale, with a view to possibly moving there permanently. I will not have my own transport and am wondering about how I will view houses in more remote areas. Could I expect to the estate agent to drive me to viewings, as would happen in the UK?
Also, are houses generally sold via an estate agent, or is there a lot of private selling that goes on? I have noticed in rural Spanish villages, many houses with a simple, hand made "for sale" sign placed in a window, with a telephone number to contact. Probably a good way to get a cheap house in your desired location is to just wander around, looking for these signs. Does the same thing happen in Italy?
What are the advantages of using an estate agent?
Thanks for your comments.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect from estate agents?

Think some will take you around, but it may limit what you can see/do. Tuscany (apart from North) is a well bought area and consequently savvy to foreign buyers. I assume you have looked on-line already for properties? As to using an agent, other may be able to advise better, but I suspect the private selling market is not as massive as it was, but still the way a lot of sales are done. This likely still done by word of mouth or driving around looking for signs. Our agent was and still is a wonderful help, but there are many horror stories on most forums, although I have to say not quite as many as there used to be.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing to ask yourself is why would you use an agent? Are you fluent in Italian, conversant with Italian property law, understand how to navigate Italian bureaucracy? If not, why would you decide to buy a house privately? An agent, or rather, a legally operating agent, has to be independent and work for both parties - he is there to protect your interests and do the legwork for you. Certainly you will see private sales, but there is a reason why they are private sales. If you opt for a private sale it's you versus the seller, all for the sake of a couple of thousand euros. An agent also has the benefit of a website, so you can see whats on offer, and get an idea of the market. A private sale doesnt mean its a cheap house - it may be so expensive that no agent will take it on at that price. However, not all agents are the same - use a FIAIP registered agent if you can, they have insurance and a code of conduct, and most will go out of their way to help you.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If you drive around my village you would see very few "Vendersi" signs but when you look on the internet there are plenty of properties for sale. I wonder why people don't put up a "for sale" signs in Italy? If you go a busy coffee bar you can find private adverts for houses but I suspect you would get cheated unless you were very careful.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

Estate agents in Italy take upwards of3% of the purchase price plus VAT at 22%.On a 500 k purchase its more than a few thousand euros. The seller has to pay the same.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget large fees. Is Tuscany your only choice? I take it if you do not intend to have a car ever, that you will be looking at town houses. If so remember to check what public transport there is. Don't believe what the agents say or use their recommended lawyers
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

It is the hefty estate agent commission that is off putting to me. If I can shave off a few thousand off buying costs by avoiding one, it's a no brainer. My Italian is not great, but I can understand and make myself understood. I would prefer to work with a good solicitor and let them deal with the negotiations and legal stuff from the beginning. I would have to instruct a solicitor at some point anyway.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you get a lawyer from another town or province. The standard of probity here is not the same as the UK. I would also suggest you hire a geomatra to inspect the property again ftom another town before you make an offer. Shouldn't be more than 4/500 euros. His or her report may well be revealing and can be used to drive down the price significantly.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DesiderataSicilia
Make sure you get a lawyer from another town or province. The standard of probity here is not the same as the UK. I would also suggest you hire a geomatra to inspect the property again ftom another town before you make an offer. Shouldn't be more than 4/500 euros. His or her report may well be revealing and can be used to drive down the price significantly.
Thank you. That's very helpful advice