What to do?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default What to do?

I had to go the hospital yesterday to pay a bill for my dh there and as I went up the steps there was a woman sitting there with a baby wrapped in a blanket and a toddler running around no more than about 2. I think they were gypsy type of people and the woman was begging. Now, I have seen her there before but not with the baby, and the toddler was going through the bin. It broke my heart but I don't understand why she is there with the kids? In the UK, to sit outside the hospital like that would surely attract the attention of social services or someone and they would at least help the kids, even if the mother refused to be helped. It was cold yesterday and i was wondering if anyone knew of a charity or someone who I could contact in order to get help for the kids. I did give her a couple of Euros but I don't think giving her money like that is the answer, and I have never, ever seen the italians give money to anyone like this. Anyone got any ideas. I find it very hard to just walk over these people when the world isn't equal.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:59 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do?

Most of the gypos around here drive Mercedes bought with their tax free earnings. By giving money you are encouraging less honourable people than myself to become professional beggars.
Anyone noticed the one armed beggar at the traffic lights near to Marco Polo airport in Venice? He's been there for the last 3 years working long hours. I reckon he was kidnapped from his homeland by gangs and brought here to beg. If you keep giving money, he may never be allowed to return.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Indi, you really shouldn't give them money. They have more money than us. They tried taking the children away here but the 'families' snatched them back.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hmmmm, I must admit I don't normally give money. How do you know for a fact they are professional beggars? I know it's a minefield and there are the same kinda arguments in the UK too and I also understand that for a lot of people it is a choice but the kids don't have a choice do they? I promise not to give any money then (I am never comfortable with that anyway tbh) so is there noone who would help the kids then?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:31 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Know the traffic light on the road to Auchan, the one the take you on to the tangenziale? Well, the N. Africans have been cleaning window screens there for the past 20yrs. The local bank even gave them a mortgage on the basis of their 'earnings'.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I do know that set of traffic lights. I never let them do mine. I don't like pushiness like they can be... So I'm being too tender hearted then... ok, I'll stop.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

indie they have campsites, same as the gypsies in the Uk. Every evening they go back to their vans with the kids. The hubbies come in with them and hang around the supermarkets. Of course they could leave the kids back at the campsite but they know their audience - you - well. Your reaction is the one they are after. Yes, they are professional beggars, don't let them get to you. They are more Italian than you or I can ever be. They were born here, their kids get educated here same as any other Italian kid, they get the same healthcare. Don't let them fool you!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apart from me (stupid English woman)!! Noone else ever seems to give them anything so how do they make all this money?? There cannot be that many stupid english women about can there??
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:49 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be surprised! I've had the men accost me in the supermarket with a packet chicken asking for the price!! Unbelievable! If you see one of their camp sites it is obvious they aren't just begging to make ends meet. I think it is so ingrained in them now that they just carry on. I don't know what, if any social help they will get, but they get everything an Italian citizen gets, same as any beggar or tramp in the UK would get if they were signing on etc. It's a different culture I think is all we can say! The ones down in Rome are far more predatory and are pickpockets, one tried to steal the watch off Stephen's wrist when we were there one time!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, ok. I'm over myself now (again!!) and will let her get on with it with her kids and keep hold of my handbag too!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:27 pm
The Original Red Head!

Lol! It's up to you at the end of the day! Most of them here spend the money on fags and chocolate and they don't exactly look malnourished, do they? If you think about it would the kids have had the energy to run around if they had been?? The other one that always gets me is the beggars with well fed, healthy looking dogs! Maybe that is a priority for them though! I hope Pansy sees this thread, she has a way with the ones with doggies!! Lol!

The churches use outreach groups to try to help them - there was a blog I read a while ago about a woman that was trying to work with the gypsies and got to know one as well as you can. It was an interesting read, but I felt just backed up what we've been saying, for them it is their culture and they choose to live the way they do. If you are interested I can try and find it...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

yep, the ones with the doggies I give the dog a tin of dog food their sidekicks are not impressed but there you go. I agree with duffer if people give money why bother to get an education and contribute proper skills to the country they decide to live in or are born in.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pansy
yep, the ones with the doggies I give the dog a tin of dog food their sidekicks are not impressed but there you go. I agree with duffer if people give money why bother to get an education and contribute proper skills to the country they decide to live in or are born in.
Do you carry dog food around with you Pansy??!! I remember when I used to work in Primark in Brighton I used to run next door every saturday to buy myself a sarnie and an apple in M&S and there was always a guy outside with a dog, so once I brought him a sarnie and an apple too!! He didn't look too impressed either come to think of it...

I would be interested in that blog TR, just cos I am interested in things like that in general... I just don't think this world is equal is all, but maybe for gypsies especially it is a lifestyle choice. We are really lucky as British citizens, I always think, we do get to swan around the earth pretty easily in comparison to a lot of the Africans and Eastern Europeans don't we, and it's hardly due to our superior education or whatever is it, it's about opportunities more than anything else.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:29 pm
The Original Red Head!

I'm trying to get the link for you - it might happen, it depends whether the woman I got it through originally still has it and remembers who I am!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=duffer;8021035]
Anyone noticed the one armed beggar at the traffic lights near to Marco Polo airport in Venice? He's been there for the last 3 years working long hours. QUOTE]

He was there yesterday with his little tin when I took Mum and Sis back to Venice airport.

The hospital in Thiene always has one or another gypsy woman sitting outside, not seen kids with them yet though. Sometimes they have cardboard signs saying things like "no job, no home, 6 kids to feed."
They do have homes. When they tried once to take over a farmer's field the Comune found them some Comune land and let them use that.

Some years ago there was an article in a newspaper - can't remember which one. A journalist dressed himself up as a beggar and trawled the Milan underground all day long. He said it was one of the longest days of his life but he made more money that day than he did at his normal job !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.