Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What are the dentists like in Italy

What are the dentists like in Italy

Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

JD1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the dentists like in Italy

I have to see a dentist or should i say an orthodontist in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Italian orthodontists or should i have the work done in the UK? I've experienced the shoddy construction work that Italian builders did in my house, the thought of Italian dentists with the same work ethic messing around inside my mouth doesn't exactly inspire confidence
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the dentists like in Italy

I had some minor repair work done by an Italian dentist once - something stuck back in/on - filling or crown, can't remember.

No reason to think they are in any way inferior to Brit dentists - why should they be?

If anything mine may have been suffering from a bit of a superiority complex, whether personal or national I don't know. For some reason on seeing some gold crowns in my mouth (which he generously acknowledged were pretty well done) he felt the need to tell me that "we are not gypsies", we meaning Italians.
He didn't charge me as it was a small job and I was taken there by someone who knew him. He claimed that Brits flew in to see him as it was cheaper for them but I must admit that this puzzled me slightly.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Nellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JD1963
I have to see a dentist or should i say an orthodontist in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Italian orthodontists or should i have the work done in the UK? I've experienced the shoddy construction work that Italian builders did in my house, the thought of Italian dentists with the same work ethic messing around inside my mouth doesn't exactly inspire confidence
Depends on the dentist ... mine is great, but I am in Reggio Emilia, so not really local.

Daughter had a brace when she was younger, since my dentist is a surgeon, he has a "visiting" orthodontis so I felt comfortable with her doing the work and she also did a fab job.
Anyway, dental work is not cheap, so in my opinion
- ask friends/family and draw up your shortlist of recommended orthodontists
- go to their surgery to book an initial appointment so you can see the set up/hygiene for yourself
- written quotation with the work they would do, timeframe and the total price.

My 2 cents!
Nelly

PS if you file a tax return in Italy, remember you can offset medical/dental expenses
see: http://www.finanzautile.org/detrazio...odello-730.htm

Last edited by Nellybell; Mar 11th 2014 at 8:53 am. Reason: added website
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

They f##$%% up my mouth about 14 yrs ago, I have since paid a lot of money elsewhere but I will probably have to have implants in the next year or two.
Overpriced is not the word, Some of our relations have had quotes in Italy of over 20k Euros and have had the same treatment in Croatia for a quarter of the price with the same products. After several years they have no complaints.
M
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The're fine - as long as you shop around. Mine costs the same as my UK dentist really. The only thing is that some dentists don't have the equipped surgery like in the UK, and send you to another place for an X-ray, a different place for a gumshield and so on, but the newer younger dentists tend to be one stop shops. But theyr're slow - 4/6 appointments for a crown stretched over months ....
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JD1963
http://englishmaninitaly.org/2012/09...hurt-a-little/

I rest my case.

Mrs Sensible says Italian dentists are fine, but then she has never had to have a tooth filled in her life.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

Never trusted 'em!

I've always had check-ups in the UK – and the dental emergency plan involves popping over the border into France.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

A dentist who uses the latex shield is a modern dentist, and one who understands that using white ceramic needs a dry area or it wont take. Every dentist in every country I have ever been to hits your teeth with a metal stick, and it always hurts. Dentists equal pain, in every language. But for the record my dentist here has caused me the least pain of any I have ever visted, and if you are completely useless in the face of someone poking round in your mouth, she'll even do hypnosis. So, shop around and you'll be fine - they will all give you a preventivo first so you will not be bound to any one in particular.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by modicasa
A dentist who uses the latex shield is a modern dentist, and one who understands that using white ceramic needs a dry area or it wont take. Every dentist in every country I have ever been to hits your teeth with a metal stick, and it always hurts. Dentists equal pain, in every language. But for the record my dentist here has caused me the least pain of any I have ever visted, and if you are completely useless in the face of someone poking round in your mouth, she'll even do hypnosis. So, shop around and you'll be fine - they will all give you a preventivo first so you will not be bound to any one in particular.
If the dentist is aware that the tooth is sore, why do they need to hit it with a metal stick? He could see there was a temporary filling in the tooth! The dentist who has replaced him does not hurt, thankfully.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Dentist are the same every where, there are good and bad. I love my dentist here. Not cheap, but he knows what I want and does not drag things out. Having lived in Trieste where people often pop over to Croatia, I can assure you, they are not all good there either. Ask around for recommendations.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Dentist are the same every where, there are good and bad. I love my dentist here. Not cheap, but he knows what I want and does not drag things out. Having lived in Trieste where people often pop over to Croatia, I can assure you, they are not all good there either. Ask around for recommendations.
how true , its often the common sence answers the best
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
If the dentist is aware that the tooth is sore, why do they need to hit it with a metal stick?
Because they can
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by modicasa
Because they can

Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What are the dentists like in Italy

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
An old girlfriend of mine used to say;- when I go to the dentist I grab his nuts and say "we are not going to hurt each other are we".
M
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
An old girlfriend of mine used to say;- when I go to the dentist I grab his nuts and say "we are not going to hurt each other are we".
M
Brilliant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.