WHAT TO BRING!

Old May 10th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice
Default WHAT TO BRING!

Well after 3 years of planning it looks like we will be in Italy by this Sept

Just back from registering our children for school!

Unfortunately our house has not sold yet, so we are renting it out for the time being. Our house in Italy is furnished (albeit it ancient) but we will make do and mend until we can bring our furniture over.

I know there has been loads of comments on here about what to bring (skybox, stationery, medicines etc - so thanks for that) but just wondered what thoughts anyone has on anything they wish they had brought from the UK, or even stuff they brought over and regretted bringing with them?

Are we mad to bring over TVs(5 of them!), washing machine(too new to leave), bikes and the likes?

Last edited by malcesine99; May 10th 2012 at 11:25 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 10th 2012, 11:41 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT TO BRING!

Originally Posted by malcesine99
Well after 3 years of planning it looks like we will be in Italy by this Sept

Just back from registering our children for school!

Unfortunately our house has not sold yet, so we are renting it out for the time being. Our house in Italy is furnished (albeit it ancient) but we will make do and mend until we can bring our furniture over.

I know there has been loads of comments on here about what to bring (skybox, stationery, medicines etc - so thanks for that) but just wondered what thoughts anyone has on anything they wish they had brought from the UK, or even stuff they brought over and regretted bringing with them?

Are we mad to bring over TVs(5 of them!), washing machine(too new to leave), bikes and the likes?
If you can fit them in your van or whatever you are driving over then bring them. Why not?
Bring a kettle too.
Bring duvets - apart from Ikea they are not so easy to find here and are expensive.
I'm trying to think of things I have brought back or ordered from the UK over the years because what I wanted didn't exist here or was too dear.

An electric 3 tier steamer.
An upright bagless hoover with rotating brushes.
Underwear - especially good fitting bras.
Yorkshire Pudding tins.
Cake glitter and fancy sprinkles and flavourings and colourings and bun cases. (you can get some stuff here but the choice is limited)
Cadbury's
Old May 10th 2012, 11:54 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

2 most important things to bring:

Your sense of humour.
Patience.

Old May 10th 2012, 11:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike

Your sense of humour.
Patience.

Ain't that the truth !
Old May 10th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If you can fit them in your van or whatever you are driving over then bring them. Why not?
Bring a kettle too.
Bring duvets - apart from Ikea they are not so easy to find here and are expensive.
I'm trying to think of things I have brought back or ordered from the UK over the years because what I wanted didn't exist here or was too dear.

Yorkshire Pudding tins.
Cake glitter and fancy sprinkles and flavourings and colourings and bun cases. (you can get some stuff here but the choice is limited)
Cadbury's
Thanks! I bought my (Italian) MIL a steamer and she loves it.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike

Your sense of humour.
Patience.

Ha! Definitely

I have booked us all in for dental checks too, esp after reading about your experiences Lorna.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by malcesine99
Thanks! I bought my (Italian) MIL a steamer and she loves it.

Ha! Definitely

I have booked us all in for dental checks too, esp after reading about your experiences Lorna.
Get your eyes done too.

And if you have room to spare - think about mops for your floors. It sounds a bit daft I know. My sisters have some great mops. One squirts cleaner fluid on the floor and another is one of those squeezy squidgy things. Where I am I have only ever seen the old fashioned string mop heads or the Vileda ones ..... and plenty of old ladies around here still use a plastic kind of brush and a big old dishcloth like thing and drag that around the floors.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:28 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Second Lorna on the kettle, that was the one thing I got sent over from UK after I arrived.

The only 2 things that are still in the moving companies packing materials 7 months after arriving are:
The golf clubs (unless I go into politics or take up bank robbery I am not playing over here at that price ).

The road bike (I would have to have a death wish to cycle round here) albeit the MTB has been out of the packing and out for a spin. However, you will be better placed in Verona than I am here for cycling.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;10052500]Get your eyes done too.

I know you mean at the Opticians but just had a thought can I get 'threaded', I mean my eyebrows?
Old May 10th 2012, 12:39 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Bring a kettle too.

Yorkshire Pudding tins.
Cadbury's
Lorna, you had me in stitches with your list.

I 2nd most things people have said. Not the kettle though. I have a panic attack thinking about the cost of leccy everytime I plug it in. I'd bring Coriander seeds. Damn hard to get here. And Jcloths. Me? I'd hire a van and just stuff everything in that fits.

I was going to say, 'get your eyebrows threaded' when I saw you asked just that.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

As many tins of baked beans you have space for
Any herbs & spices you love to use
e.g yellow mustard seeds, cumin seeds
Oyster sauce and those yummy Chinese spices and sauces
Replace any worn out pots and pans (expensive here)
I paid 5 euro for a crummy sieve that would cost £1.50 in Tesco.
Bring EVERYTHING you have-and spares
I left furniture, rugs, curtains, handbags, clothes, garden tools and am very sorry.
Oh nice lighting fitments shades etc are extortionately priced in my experience so buy in UK.
Good luck and don't cry as you sail/drive/fly away
Old May 10th 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by conniewalker
As many tins of baked beans you have space for
Any herbs & spices you love to use
e.g yellow mustard seeds, cumin seeds
Oyster sauce and those yummy Chinese spices and sauces
Replace any worn out pots and pans (expensive here)
I paid 5 euro for a crummy sieve that would cost £1.50 in Tesco.
Bring EVERYTHING you have-and spares
I left furniture, rugs, curtains, handbags, clothes, garden tools and am very sorry.
Oh nice lighting fitments shades etc are extortionately priced in my experience so buy in UK.
Good luck and don't cry as you sail/drive/fly away
Good point about lights.
My kitchen, hall and bathroom lights all came from the UK. I wanted those multi- spotlights so that I could direction them into all corners and have lots of light. Average price was about 10 quid in Argos I think and about 60 euro in rip off Brico.

Swimming costumes are dirt cheap in places like Asda compared to here and if you plan on going to the open summer pools you'll need flip flops and swimming caps too.

Heinz salad cream.
Malt vinegar.
Mixed spice / all spice.
Blu Tak
Cup tree - yes I brought one back once. I like my big tea mugs near the kettle and don't have enough cupboard space to keep them inside a cupboard.
I paid 12 euro for a recorder here for school (music) and I know they are so much cheaper in the UK.
A selection of DIY stuff
Old May 10th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Lidl has everything, except for malt Vinegar which I get from Malta!
Old May 10th 2012, 3:50 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Lidl has everything, except for malt Vinegar which I get from Malta!
They have Heinz Salad Cream. You can get it in Verona in the shopping centre next to Le Corte Venete.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Washing machine plumbing is always cold fill. I ordered something from Hotpoint that would let my hot and cold fill machine be plumbed in here.
If you are paying for a removal van I would fill it with anything you use a lot of. It gives you time to find your way around.
You can't buy bayonet light bulbs here.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

toilet brush toilet paper holder any thing to do with bath room fittings they are verry dear here ,english 3 pin plugs they have fuses , leave your 13 amp english plugs on any apliance you bring , its not only protected from power surges , but thieves wont take the apliance , fact . Mirical grow plant fertilizer pain killers . christmas crackers , wild bird feeders . birthday cards ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.