Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Washing machine

Washing machine

Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Washing machine

Just to be sure, will my Italian washing machine work in the UK?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machine

I think so.....Most UK machines have a hot and cold fill - you will probably have just a cold fill? So, it should be okay - will just take forever like it normally does! The power is fine - the other thing will be water pressure, but I really can't see that being a problem! I think all the hoses are the same size too. My dryer works here no problem anyway.

Only thing I would say is check the prices before you decide to ship it - they are soooo much cheaper and also so much bigger in the UK. They only tend to do the one width - about 50cm or so - whereas here there seems to be about 10 different widths to fit all houses! So you get a much bigger capacity machine for the same as a tiny one here.

Last edited by TestaRossa; Apr 19th 2009 at 8:01 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Yes it will, just change the plug and all will be good. But if you want a new one the UK machines have a much higher spin cycle and are cheaper than the Italian ones generally.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks. I'm having such a problem moving my stuff. You see, I havevery little time to try and sell my stuff, and we'll need everything as soon as we get there. So what's one to do? The washing machine I have here is good and only 3 years old, so i wouldn't really want to throw it. So other than shipping it what else can I do.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katu, did you take your washing mahine back?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Yes we bought back all the electrical goods because no one wanted them in Italy and I can't bear throwing good things away!

Most things have had a UK plug put onto them, some things still have adapters, but thats because I am too lazy to change them yet
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:27 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Your are having my problem in reverse! I had roughly 8 weeks to clear my house and sort out the shipping when we moved here. I ended up getting a house clearance guy in and they gave me next to nothing for some good stuff. I managed to offload stuff to charity and also friends but so much went to the clearance guy. Like you I couldn't face just leaving it or chucking it. My dryer was about 3 years old and I insisted on bringing it over. I'm glad I did as they are soo expensive here and it's a decent one. So I do know where you are coming from - the only reason I suggest leaving it is whether the cost of shipping would outweigh the cost of replacing it in the UK - you can get stuff delivered same day from some places, my dryer was. I suppose I'm trying to pass on what I learned from my mistakes! I brought loads of stuff over and ended up chucking at least a third, it would be more but my son refuses to sort his stuff and most of it is just sitting in the loft in pretty much the boxes it arrived here in!

It has to be one of the most stressful things you can do, pack up a house! My husband was over ruthless and chucked stuff we now regret - he has no sense of nostalgia unfortunately so to him it is junk not memories!!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Your are having my problem in reverse! I had roughly 8 weeks to clear my house and sort out the shipping when we moved here. I ended up getting a house clearance guy in and they gave me next to nothing for some good stuff. I managed to offload stuff to charity and also friends but so much went to the clearance guy. Like you I couldn't face just leaving it or chucking it. My dryer was about 3 years old and I insisted on bringing it over. I'm glad I did as they are soo expensive here and it's a decent one. So I do know where you are coming from - the only reason I suggest leaving it is whether the cost of shipping would outweigh the cost of replacing it in the UK - you can get stuff delivered same day from some places, my dryer was. I suppose I'm trying to pass on what I learned from my mistakes! I brought loads of stuff over and ended up chucking at least a third, it would be more but my son refuses to sort his stuff and most of it is just sitting in the loft in pretty much the boxes it arrived here in!

It has to be one of the most stressful things you can do, pack up a house! My husband was over ruthless and chucked stuff we now regret - he has no sense of nostalgia unfortunately so to him it is junk not memories!!
Thanks Testa. I have about 2 weeks to get sorted ...... ARGGGHHH!
I'm planning to get someone in to empty the house when we've left. There'll be loads to get rid of, including a lot of good stuff. For most of these 2 weeks I'm going to be in England aswell :S
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:50 am
The Original Red Head!

I know the feeling! Don't envy you not being around to supervise the move! I'd give your OH a list of stuff you would sell him for if it gets left behind! My removal guys managed to leave two old silver-backed mirrors but brought a seagrass chest that had gone so mouldy it was re-growing!! Luckily the mirrors are safely in a friends loft, but when I will ever get them back I don't know.

My OH wouldn't pack my vac as he wanted to vac after the removers had gone - consequently my vac is also still in the UK in a small lock-up with some other odds and sods!! It's one Lorna would kill to get her hands on too, not a dyson, but a Vorwerk.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:38 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get Vorwerk reps coming to the door. Their vacs were more expensive than the Dyson.

Ariel ... you won't have time for this but aren't there any free mags where you live for people to sell stuff, job requests, adverts etc. ?

There are 2 here. Lira & Lira in Schio and La Piazza in Thiene.

I once advertised a fridge freezer that was about 3 years old for 125 euro. I got about 25 phone calls in total and sold it immediately.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:13 pm
The Original Red Head!

That's what I meant really! I think we paid about the same as a dyson for ours when we bought it in the UK. We avoided the reps though and bought it through a tool hire company.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello. Just got back from Blighty. Another thing I was wondering about were tvs...Now, the house we're going to does not have an ariel to plug into the tv upstairs. What would we do there? We have one or 2 old style tvs we would put upstairs..But will they work without the external ariel being plugged in?

1 week to go. Not sure to put all my queries on here or open individual threads,
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

You can buy booster Aerials from Dixons and the like that plug into the tv and the mains. They sit next to or on top of the tv. The more you pay the better the signal from experience! If you are getting SKY in the UK it might be worth looking at multi-room as they will install everything in one go and then you could watch Sky on your old tele's too. Each one will get a separate box but they all feed off one dish.

So the answer is no they won't work without some kind of Aerial plugged in!

Another thought - if you do get SKY when you book direct with SKY over the phone ask them to make sure the engineer is a Sky employee not someone who has a license to install sky - I have had no end of problems in the UK with licensees - they are trying to make money on top of the fee from SKY and will tell you it should go on a pole in your garden and all sorts of crap! The guys employed direct will do the job they are being paid to do!

Last edited by TestaRossa; Apr 26th 2009 at 12:08 pm.