Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Wanted: apartment in San Paolo/Garbatella/Ostiense (Rome)

Wanted: apartment in San Paolo/Garbatella/Ostiense (Rome)

Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mick_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanted: apartment in San Paolo/Garbatella/Ostiense (Rome)

Unfortunately, our landlords are requesting their property back due to unforeseen circumstances, so we're looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the above-mentioned areas of Rome, with decent balcony or small terrace and two bathrooms. Of course, we're trawling the usual sites, but if anyone knows of a place by word of mouth, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted: apartment in San Paolo/Garbatella/Ostiense (Rome)

Originally Posted by Mick_P
Unfortunately, our landlords are requesting their property back due to unforeseen circumstances, so we're looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the above-mentioned areas of Rome, with decent balcony or small terrace and two bathrooms. Of course, we're trawling the usual sites, but if anyone knows of a place by word of mouth, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Hello Mick: what contract did you sign and how far are you into it?

If you did 4+4 they can not ask untill the 4th year is up
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Hello Mick: what contract did you sign and how far are you into it?

If you did 4+4 they can not ask untill the 4th year is up
Hello Mr Posh

It's a 4+4 (we're having a good read through it again tomorrow before meeting the landlords later n the week), and we're into the third year of the second 4, so, from what you say, they are able to ask us to leave, though at this point I'm not sure how much notice they have to give. I was under the impression that we were safe till the end of the second 4 but I'd infer from your comment that that's not the case.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Hello Mr Posh

It's a 4+4 (we're having a good read through it again tomorrow before meeting the landlords later n the week), and we're into the third year of the second 4, so, from what you say, they are able to ask us to leave, though at this point I'm not sure how much notice they have to give. I was under the impression that we were safe till the end of the second 4 but I'd infer from your comment that that's not the case.
No Mick what I mean is that they CANNOT ask you to leave untill your contract is UP: Unless it states in your contract that in the 2nd four years the lanlord can give you notice if he has a valid reason and then it should be the mandatory 6 months. It all depends what is written in your contract. In Italy the tenant has more power then the owner.

We have just given notice in our flat and when I moved in I gave them 3 months deposit. I have told them that I will pay them 3 months and the other 3 months they can take from the deposit ( a lot of people think it is not allowed) BUT if you give them permission to come and inspect the flat when they like they can not say anything:
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:46 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Mick P there is also a limited number of "good reasons" they can use to ask you to move out and like Mr Posh I also thought that once they had signed the contract for the second 4 years they had to wait for it to be up before they could turf you...I would take some advice tbh - a good contract lawyer will cost around €100 for a one off consultation and a run through your contract but it could be worth it's weight in gold...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to you both for taking an interest. We're meeting with the landlords later this week and will see how their attitude is. They may well be very relaxed about it all, however I think it all hinges on the husband having lost his job quite a few months ago, so you can imagine they might be getting a bit desperate. But we're not easily ruffled and will be promising absolutely nothing. We won't be rushed into moving if it isn't necessary. It's a big decision.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Will let you know if I hear anything. What's your price range?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wiffy
Will let you know if I hear anything. What's your price range?
Thanks. Ideally, not above €1500/month, but it does depend to some extent on condominial costs. Also, two bathrooms is a must (or at least one bathroom plus a second toilet).
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again all. Today we met with the landlords and the outcome is that they've given us six months to move out, to be confirmed officially by receipt of a raccomandata.

It seems that although there is nothing written in the contract, they claim that in law, they have the right to invoke such an action in extreme circumstances (the only breadwinner being out of work for six months and counting I would say certainly qualifies). We are unlikely to contest this as, apart from anything else, we like to think of ourselves as decent, compassionate people and don't want to stand in their way. Nor do we want to see lawyers profiting from the situation. So... the hunt is on in earnest. To be honest, I'm quite excited and very optimistic (ask me again in five months).
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand though - surely you are an income to them that will lose?? Or are they renting too?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

If the landlord is out of work, wouldn't he want your rent money coming in? Unless they need the flat so that they are not paying out somewhere else?

Good luck with the house hunting anyway. Hope you find somewhere soon.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Strange reasoning from the landlords and it's hard to believe they are renting elsewhere. They may however want to sell the apartment in which case the first option to buy should go to the resident tenants.

In any case - here's hoping you find something suitable within the next 6 months. Check the link for info on rental contracts etc. and see the section on Termination of Contracts. http://www.sunia.it/files/vadecasa/vi1.html
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Strange reasoning from the landlords and it's hard to believe they are renting elsewhere. They may however want to sell the apartment in which case the first option to buy should go to the resident tenants.

In any case - here's hoping you find something suitable within the next 6 months. Check the link for info on rental contracts etc. and see the section on Termination of Contracts. http://www.sunia.it/files/vadecasa/vi1.html
The situation is this, as we understand it: the landlords bought this property in about 2001. In 2003 he was called abroad to work, so they rented it out to us. His work took him to various European locations, but then a couple of years ago they returned to Rome, but rented an apartment near to where they wanted to school their children. Circumstances now dictate that they cannot afford to rent any longer - it could be that they're paying a mortgage on this property so what might seem like a good income is in fact mostly taken by the mortgage, in which case it would make good sense for them to live here themselves.

Thanks for the encouragement and best wishes, and for that link Wiffy.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

They may however want to sell the apartment in which case the first option to buy should go to the resident tenants.
Why?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris120
Why?
It something called right of first refusal - not sure if it is law or just practice. I've just gone through the process of buying in Rome and this was part of the advice we were given. Hence I only looked at vacant properties. The laws are kinder to the tenants and in a lot of cases where tenants refused the offer to purchase, they also refused to move out and it could take years to get them to budge. I don't know of any cases where occupied homes/apts. (in the areas where I was looking) were put on the market without the first offer to the resident tenants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.