Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

very long drive

very long drive

Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default very long drive

just going to ask strait out ,has anyone ever driven to bisa i think its called were you get the ferry across to greece on the south east tip of italy,when i went on aa route planner it recommended the entire east coast highway as the best road. is this a good road to drive ?????????????? anyone please
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: very long drive

Originally Posted by hannash
just going to ask strait out ,has anyone ever driven to bisa i think its called were you get the ferry across to greece on the south east tip of italy,when i went on aa route planner it recommended the entire east coast highway as the best road. is this a good road to drive ?????????????? anyone please
I think you may mean Brindisi. Ferry definitely goes to Greece from here (just up the road from me). I have done the east coast highway many times, and it probably is the best road, but if you don't like bridges and tunnels by the score then you are stuffed. Where are you coming from?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been there some times, and I guess to reach Brindisi port the motorway A14 is the best and fastest way to get there. It has all the necessary to grant a good travel, stop areas to relax and gasoline pumps. Don't even think about internal ways, trust me, I'm Italian and I wouldn't do it. Too long badly-kept ways and you cannot see anything different from lost mountains...no,no, just travel along the sea, it's better.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

im thinking of this....................dublin- holyhead dover-calais france and the whole east coast of italy brindisi - greece maybe im mad but it sounds like a fantastic drive
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

im thinking of this....................dublin- holyhead dover-calais france and the whole east coast of italy brindisi - greece maybe im mad but it sounds like a fantastic drive
Forget France - tolls too expensive. I found tunnel, then Belgium, Luxemburgh (for the cheap fuel), Germany, Austria, Brenner Pass (bridge, whatever) then down to Bologna, over to Rimini and down the east coast. It is a fantastic drive, particularly if you have time to go off the motorway and down the coast road. If you fancy a stop off before the ferry we have a very nice two bedroom apartment for rent - if I am allowed to say that here - mods please remove if I'm not.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

It's really a long drive! Ok, don't even consider internal ways! It would double the lenght and you would lose too much time...A14 from Bologna to the south is the best, trust me!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silvietta
It's really a long drive! Ok, don't even consider internal ways! It would double the lenght and you would lose too much time...A14 from Bologna to the south is the best, trust me!
Absolutely, couldn't agree more, I just said IF they had the time the coast road was interesting. I wasn't talking about internal ways, just the road down on the coast away from the motorway. Believe me I know it is a long drive - I have driven it from Northumberland in England to Brindisi and back five times now!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad came over in September on his motorbike and avoided France as much as possible - one beacuse of the tolls and also because of the price of Mont Blanc. He went straight through to Brussels ( I think) and then did Germany, Austria and the Brenner Pass.

Said it was amazing. He stoppped higher up then of course as I'm close to Lake Garda so he came down through Trento.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:47 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My Dad came over in September on his motorbike and avoided France as much as possible - one beacuse of the tolls and also because of the price of Mont Blanc. He went straight through to Brussels ( I think) and then did Germany, Austria and the Brenner Pass.

Said it was amazing. He stoppped higher up then of course as I'm close to Lake Garda so he came down through Trento.
Maybe it was Belgium and not Brussels where he stopped the first night.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

problem is though thats not all after brindisi its the southern greek coast road coming into bulgaria from the south and on over to the black sea to holiday home ,nah maybe its to long hey margaret m how long did it take you
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

problem is though thats not all after brindisi its the southern greek coast road coming into bulgaria from the south and on over to the black sea to holiday home ,nah maybe its to long hey margaret m how long did it take you
Well we did do it a couple of times in three days, but to be honest 4 days was more comfortable - but that was very from far north in England
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

is the toll roads really that expensive in france ,if you could pay the tolls is it the best and quickest how many miles from northumberland to brindisi
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

is the toll roads really that expensive in france ,if you could pay the tolls is it the best and quickest how many miles from northumberland to brindisi
Bedlington to Brindisi via France and Switzerland, 1652 miles, almost £70 in tolls according to Viamichelin, via Brenner Pass 1848 miles, £48.24 in tolls, including Austrian motorway tax (don't know how much) which I have never paid, you are in and out of Austrian in a couple of hours and I have never found out how to pay.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

I 've driven down the east coast to Bari and then to Ignamitsa (sp?) Greece on the night ferry. The road is a very easy drive.

Scratcher
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks all,, some thinking to do we have 2 young chillder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.