Vehicle Import

Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

DJDaffyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vehicle Import

Anyone have experience of importing a LHD vehicle into Italy?
What's the process for inspection and registration in italy. How long did it take and at what cost?
Specifically it's a left hand drive Ford Mustang imported from Canada to UK several years ago. Currently UK registered, insured, taxed, and passed its IVA\SVA (modified to UK standard). I'm aware of the super-bollo costs - so just concerned about the registration process.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DJDaffyd; Jul 9th 2020 at 7:15 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vehicle Import

Hi DJDaffyd - I didn't reply to this earlier as you referred to a LHD, however, we imported a RHD when we moved late last year. Anyway, here is how we found it if it's of any use. As our Italian language skills are not up to speed, we decided to get the car registered through the local ACI office. The lady in the office required the V5C and a Certificate of Conformity alongside the usual forms of identity/driving licence/permission to stay. A few weeks later she told us that the vehicle had to be inspected at a civil motorization office but this gave us a problem as the car was not insured for driving (couldn't get UK as living in Italy, couldn't get Italian as car UK registered). We enquired at a local garage and the owner agreed to use trade plates and drive the car for us - he also did a vehicle check to ensure all was in order which included replacing the headlights. The car passed the inspection and the paperwork was passed back to the ACI office. A while later we were told everything was fine and to pick up a temporary registration note to allow us to use the car together with new number plates. Covid then struck so we were not able to collect the final registration document until a few weeks ago.

The process took quite some time and you are not allowed to drive the car until it is re-registered. I would say it took us around 12 weeks in all, but might have been quicker if we knew what we were doing! The ACI charged us 700 euros so quite expensive but I really don't think we could have done it without them. There are other local organisations that can also help and may be cheaper.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle Import

The ACI site here has the information somewhere (perhaps even in English), but I'm under our floor at the moment and can't locate the page just now I would guess 700 included the bollo, which could be the bulk depending on the car?