Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Vague Business Idea - What do you think?

Vague Business Idea - What do you think?

Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

SuzyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vague Business Idea - What do you think?

I'm currently working as an English teacher in Sardinia. I've picked up a few extra hours this week as my boss wants me to spend time with his 3 year-old daughter interacting with her in English (he's English, his wife's Italian, but they mainly speak Italian at home).

I really like teaching little kids and it's got me thinking, do you think there's any sort of demand in Italy for an English babysitter/babysitting service? I know lots of parents want their kids to learn, but I also realise that a lot of parents actually take their kids with them when they go out, unlike in England!

What do you think? Does anyone offer this where you are?

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: Vague Business Idea - What do you think?

My two daughters have done this type of baby sitting where they talk to the (Italian) kids in English. They have done it when the parents go out and also in the form of "entertaining" the kids when the mother is still at home. i.e. more like an Au Pair. I guess it depends on how much money there is about; clearly parents have more funds available in Rome than in some of the provinces, not to mention a bigger market.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Chris. There's not a lot of money in Sardinia (apart from the Costa Smerelda maybe!) so there might not be too much demand. There is however an English-speaking primary school here so possibly those parents might be keen. We also do some English classes at the kindergarten. How did your daughters advertise by the way?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Basically word of mouth
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:53 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

It's big industry in Florence - teaching English to Italian or English speaking kids, for that matter! There a few bilingual schools, a creche and a group called Creative Corner that teach reading and writing. Most parents here want their kids to know English, especially the wealthier ones, they see it as their child's passport to better things. A lot want their teens to study at a British Uni, which means their English has to be amazing. Maybe this is an area to think about?? They have to take a test to see how good their English is alongside their exam results from Liceo when they interview in the UK. Same as any overseas student.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

ForzaItalia21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suzy,

Here's a tip. If you want to advertise your services on the internet and gain visibility quickly in Google, I would suggest that you place an ad in the Italian version of Vivastreet for the town/s in which you wish to operate.

It won't cost you anything and its a powerful tool. I teach Italian and have obtained pupils using this method. You will need to put all of the correct tags and keywords on your page and keep re-submitting it when prompted.

Lucia.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

TestaRossa, that's very interesting, especially about the stuff for young kids. Not so interested in teaching teens - I can do that through my language school job anyway! Looking really to supplement this work through some private work teaching younger kids.

ForzaItalia, I'll definitely check that out! The internet can be a great way to drum up business.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuzyJ
Thanks for the replies.

TestaRossa, that's very interesting, especially about the stuff for young kids. Not so interested in teaching teens - I can do that through my language school job anyway! Looking really to supplement this work through some private work teaching younger kids.

ForzaItalia, I'll definitely check that out! The internet can be a great way to drum up business.
It is great, but try to adhere to the rules of the sites, re 9 and 10 HERE ;-) ;-)
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

JDR we are in Italia and we all bend the rules a tiny tiny bit
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
JDR we are in Italia and we all bend the rules a tiny tiny bit
Like Berlusconi ? lol

What a nutter.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Massimiliano is an unknown quantity at this point

I can ensure that not all Italians are like this (to stay on figures "only" 35% voted this guy....

To be on topic, I ve found out that in Milan there are several Nido in English (just search on google Nido in Inglese a Milano) and I really think is a good idea, we have to give to our children many of this opportunities.

One of that just opened close to my home and the atmosphere is really nice and they advertise in all the shops an bar of the blocks with creative leaflet.

Good luck