Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Using and english car in Italy ?

Using and english car in Italy ?

Old May 2nd 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

tangerine0072000 will become famous soon enough
Default Using an english car in Italy ?

Hi, we are property owners in Italy, but as non-residents. I believe this means I can't purchase and insure an Italian car for use in Italy.

Was thinking if there is away to use a British car in Italy, but what concerns me is the insurance. Most insurance companies only cover you for a 90 day stint away from the UK. Just wondered if anyone has come across an insurance company which allows longer periods ?

I know MOT would be a pain, but willing to bring it back once a year to MOT etc.

Last edited by tangerine0072000; May 2nd 2014 at 7:57 am.
Old May 2nd 2014, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using and english car in Italy ?

hi,if you are over 50,saga,we are insured with them but you have to have a uk address where the car is parked "most of the time",cheers brian.
Old May 2nd 2014, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi again,there is another company stuart collins.com but they were a lot more expensive but if you are under 50 may be an alternative,cheers brian.
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

thanks, will investigate.
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using an english car in Italy ?

Originally Posted by tangerine0072000
Hi, we are property owners in Italy, but as non-residents. I believe this means I can't purchase and insure an Italian car for use in Italy.

Was thinking if there is away to use a British car in Italy, but what concerns me is the insurance. Most insurance companies only cover you for a 90 day stint away from the UK. Just wondered if anyone has come across an insurance company which allows longer periods ?

I know MOT would be a pain, but willing to bring it back once a year to MOT etc.
if you are not a resident and have an italian reg car people like italsure will not insure you but there a lots of people flouting the law the law is verry coplicated and you wont find out how good your cover is till you have an acident involving a person or anothe legal car

have you thought about somone buying a carwho is a resident and and insring it you will have a car here all the time and its the car that is insured here not the driver

DISLAIMER
the lawq chages from day to day here . and is read how whoever stops you want
so any thing ive said is not gospel and just my opinium check it out your self to be sure that goes for any advise on any forum
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

JD1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using an english car in Italy ?

Originally Posted by tangerine0072000

I assume you are talking about green card cover! If you have a UK insurance policy, it will automatically cover you for driving within Europe, third party only, until the policy expires.
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of

and the best part is that if they give you tickets you will never have to pay them
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Problem is with a UK policy is most only insure for a max 90 day trip abroad. I want to leave the car in Italy at our house and use it when I'm there.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:38 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz
and the best part is that if they give you tickets you will never have to pay them
Don't count on that.

In Britain, the DVLA is forbidden to give details of UK drivers to foreign enforcement agencies. BUT the Italian and other police authorities across Europe have found a simple way to circumvent this rule. The DVLA is obliged to release information to anyone in the UK who has a reasonable cause to need it, so foreign authorities have simply hired UK companies to pursue fines on their behalf. Probably the biggest is Euro Parking Collection (EPC), which acts for municipalities across the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland and Scandinavia, and is running a pilot scheme with Florence. EPC, like EMO, is more of a translation, notification and collection service than a debt collector.

And not just Florence.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

I have an UK car here I use Saga. When my daughter came out 8 years ago she used another company which gave unlimited cover but we can't remember who. I also had a UK registered van out here for a while that was unlimited cover abroad as are many commercial vehicle policy's, it was really cheap as well for third party cover
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Don't count on that.

In Britain, the DVLA is forbidden to give details of UK drivers to foreign enforcement agencies. BUT the Italian and other police authorities across Europe have found a simple way to circumvent this rule. The DVLA is obliged to release information to anyone in the UK who has a reasonable cause to need it, so foreign authorities have simply hired UK companies to pursue fines on their behalf. Probably the biggest is Euro Parking Collection (EPC), which acts for municipalities across the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland and Scandinavia, and is running a pilot scheme with Florence. EPC, like EMO, is more of a translation, notification and collection service than a debt collector.

And not just Florence.

But how can they "pursue" fines in the UK? Surely UK law does not provide for the enforcement of penalties imposed abroad in respect of offences committed abroad. And I can't see how knowing the name and UK address of a UK driver helps a comune or the police in Italy to take enforcement action in the Italian courts, unless they have some other information that enables them to link that driver to his or her Italian property. Or am I missing something?
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
But how can they "pursue" fines in the UK? Surely UK law does not provide for the enforcement of penalties imposed abroad in respect of offences committed abroad. And I can't see how knowing the name and UK address of a UK driver helps a comune or the police in Italy to take enforcement action in the Italian courts, unless they have some other information that enables them to link that driver to his or her Italian property. Or am I missing something?
No idea, Heritage, but the poster lives in Italy and what I do know what is what they do in Verona when a foreign car enters the ZTL without a permit and collects a fine too many times, the police lay in wait.

Same happen to a Brit in Florence. Mind you, she collected 1.500 fines totally €90,000 I think. My point was: don't count on non-payment of fines.
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:22 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain i gave the address of Edinburgh castle as my address ahahhahha
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
Yes, you are missing a lot actually. Traffic offences don't go 'through the courts' in Italy. They are already codified, and the imposition of fines is an automatic process. So collection becomes a 'debt collection' issue, and not a court case issue. Of course there are some exceptions, but a bit complex for discussion here.

bye bye dicette l'inglese